PDA

View Full Version : Fouling out plugs??

JRSNYDER
11-05-2002, 12:28 AM
I am new to the board and do not know very much about the mechanics of atvs. Please bear with me. I have a 84' 200s that is very hard to start. I have lots of trouble starting it, the only time it starts up easily is when I change the spark plug. I have 8 fairly new plugs in the back of my bike (all from my problem). After putting in the new plug it will turn dark black within minutes and give me trouble again after running for a while. It is not a "wet" black but a dry carbon type of black. I have taken apart the carburator but it ran the same. Someone has told me something that an ignition coil may be the culprit. Can anyone give me some input about this?? Greatly appreciated.

11-05-2002, 12:53 AM
You can try a hotter plug, also, if your air filter is dirty, clean it. One other thing to check is your plug boot, sometimes they dont get a good contact with the plug. Also, how old is your gas?

86ATC200x
11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
i had a problem like that before it ussaully is from bad piston rings letting oil into the combustion chamber and the oil then fouls the plug. i would say do a top end rebuild... If you need parts i have like everything to do a 200s because i was gonna rebuild mine for a 185 and then sold the bike but i have all the parts.

350Xrider
11-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Sounds to me like it is running a little rich. Because it is not wet it more than likely isn't oil. I also don't know the complete situation. Does the bike smoke? Does the bike run good in general? Will it run on the same plug all day and then if you let it set does it not want to start?

350red
11-05-2002, 09:22 PM
I had the same problem with my 185s, it turned out to be the stator behind the flywheel just wasnt sending enough juice to the plug for a good blue spark. I replaced the ignition stator (not the lighting stator)with an after market one (I seen them on e-bay or e-mail Howdy?) and that did it. Give it a try if all else fails. Sam

JRSNYDER
11-05-2002, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone for their help and response to my question.

350RED A freind of mine had the same bike as me with the same problem and that is exactly what solved the problem for him. I hope it will be something simple, like replacing a single part. I don't want to tie up too much money in this bike. Well, I don't have to much money to tie up. Is there any way to check the ignation stator?

350xRider My bike doesn't smoke and it runs good when I can get on the throttle and ride for a while. But when I go slow or idle it somethimes dies on me and is really hard to start then. I sometimes have to tie it to another atv and have them pull start me.

Thanks for everyones advice.
JR.

350Xrider
11-06-2002, 06:18 PM
Well we have narrowed it down that it isn't getting a good suficent burn caused either by to weak a spark or more fuel than the plug can burn properly at once. I'd probably have to go with a weak spark the more I think about it. When you got the bike did it do this or is this a recent thing? Does the bike seem to havgood compression?

JRSNYDER
11-06-2002, 11:10 PM
350xrider
The bike ran very good when I got it nearly 5 years ago. However through countless mud holes and lots of water, its seems to have gotten worse over time.

I don't know if the bike has good compression. How would I be able to tell??

JR