PDA

View Full Version : In market for new Digital camera. Need help fast!

Mrs.Mosh
07-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Ours has died. And was circa 1987 LOL.

I am on a budget, and I am looking at 10MP cameras, that take video as well as pics.
I want to keep the budget around 200 bucks.
I have found some Sony's, Olympus,and Kodak easy shares in my range with the features I want.

I know that video wont be as high quality as a camcorder, But I would like to at leas be able to video some 10 minute races and the quality be good enough to upload to you tube.

Any input from you guys?
And Should I get a 16 gig memory stick, or just a couple 8gig memory cards?

Thanks.

Dammit!
07-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Get a GoPro helmet camera instead. :D $140 on ebay. I'm about to purchase some for $120 each (plus shipping) if you want one.

Mrs.Mosh
07-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah Mosh wants one for the races.

But I will have a hard time doing ebay and seat pics with my helmet on...LMAO

Dammit!
07-11-2009, 11:49 AM
You know a helmet cam vid of you doing a seat from start to finish would actually be pretty educational. :lol:

Mrs.Mosh
07-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I would have to ban my own post due to language content.:lol: :lock:

ditchmud
07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I use a sony cyber-shot model DSC-H10 with 10x optical zoom 3" color lcd monitor, and 8.1 megapixel. It takes video and great pictures. The only complaint that I have is that you cannot change the zoom while it is recording video. You have to set the zoom where you want it before you start recording. But the quality is excellent and it's under $200 We bought ours at best buy but they sell at sam's club and walmart as well as on the internet.

300rman
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Dont rule out polaroid! but kodak has some of the best features.
MAKE SURE to get a camera that can clip a frame from a video, it makes those action shots much easier.

People dont seem to quite understand this, but megapixels mean SQUAT.

only difference is the SIZE of the picture. a 7 megapixel and a 10 megapixel (assuming both cameras are good quality) will take the EXACT same quality picture in a 5x7 picture. the only difference will be that when you make the 7 megapixel picture and the 10 megapizel picture larger (say, poster-sized) you will notice image deterioration moreso in the lower megapixel camera.

My sister has a pretty low megapixel camera by todays standards (between 4 and 6) and it takes better quality pictures than my mom's 12 megapixel high-dollar camera........

what does high megapixel this mean for you? it means larger MB picture sizes, meaning less pictures on a memory card.

my advice, read reviews online of cameras, and dont jump for the most megapixels. i'd stick around 8 and get one that has great reviews. and best of all, NEW cameras around that MP range can bee had cheap on ebay because its older technology. i got my old 8MP easyshare off ebay and i loved it, until i dropped it and ruined the lens :/

before you buy ANY memory sticks, make sure the camera can read them.

my old camera (which was new) wouldnt recognize a 2 gig memory card. so double check and make sure the camera you decide on can recognize that particular size of memory card. and i would get the biggest one that it will recognize, and i'd get two of them.

as for actually buying them, JUST-MEMORY seller on Ebay sells great memory cards at prices that you wont find in BEST BUY in your wildest dreams.

oldtime3wheeler
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I have a Kodak camera we just bought from Best Buy. I think it was around $150. I use a 2gb sdcard. Had over 650 pics from disney on just that card and it wasnt full. Takes video, but not sure about taking out frames from the video. Takes very nice clear pics, but a little slow in between taking shoots.

SeaBass8
07-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I like the Fuji Finepix Z. Its a smaller camera which is what I was looking for. Something to fit in my pocket. I got mine at Walmart a year and a half ago. They've upgraded them since. As sed before about the zoom once you start filming you cant change the zoom.

The SanDisk cards are pretty cheap these days.

250rAL
07-11-2009, 01:20 PM
People dont seem to quite understand this, but megapixels mean SQUAT.

Yes! Somebody else gets this! My DSLR was about $700 new but it's only 6MP. Most cheap idiot cameras are more than that but it's because 99% of the people buy a camera based on that number because they think it takes better pictures. Unless you're going to blow up your shots bigger than 16X20, that's enough MP.

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I got a new 8MP C813 Kodak @Wallyworld a few months back when I was building the headlight guards.

100$ and another 10$ off instantly so 90$...

Works great, you guys see all my pics - pretty good aaye??

To me, I drop them, lose them, get them wet, get them dirty, etc etc so why spend more than 100$.

I just have software issues do to my choice of internet browsing :D

Russell 350X
07-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I picked up a Kodak from Walmart before TF for 90$...takes pretty good pics, does ok with video...

Mrs.Mosh
07-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok well, I ended up with a Cannon Powershot 1000.

It has 2.5 inch lcd screen, Image stabilizer,Shoots 720 P video,and has a widescreen format.10 MP 4x zoom.
Came with a 32 GB card, and I bought a 2 pack of 8gb HD cards with it.
The cards will allow 1200 pics in Hi res, or 100 minutes of vid capture.
The camera was 130, cards were 26, and a 1 year replacment plan for 10 bucks.
175$ out the door.
Now I have to play with it and see how it does..

Thanks for the input guys, I will let you know how we like it.

We used to have a Fuji Finepix 3 MP. Bought it in 2002 and it finally died. Did pretty good though, and I did look at the Kodaks, but I heard not so good reviews about them.
I wanted a Sony, but they take a special battery(not included) and their own memory cards. It would have been a 300$ investment for all that.

ditchmud
07-11-2009, 05:30 PM
X owner J/K:lol:

Mrs.Mosh
07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Ok finally got to play with this new camera..
Here are some pics, and a few vids. I am working on the vid to youtube.
PB wont load it, it is too large.
Pics for now.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/330Z2009.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/330Z09.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/330Z09-2.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/330Z093.jpg

We put DMC 916's On Buck's Banshee, so we wanted video of them.Sorry not a trike.

It is pretty easy to use.
Definately a step up form the old POS...LOL

Dammit!
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I love that Z... :drool:

Canon makes an awesome camera. Good choice. I really need to replace my old Panasonic. The only thing that's stopped me so far is I always hear about people having camera failures due to sand getting into the lens/gears. Mine has NEVER had a problem with that despite me carrying it around in my camelback pouch which is FULL of sand. :lol:

I'm getting one of those GoPros before dune season. I was planning to order one this week until those Tri-Zingers showed up.

Mrs.Mosh
07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks Doug.
It has some features I havent even played with yet.
Finally got the vid uploaded. That came out pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vO2NNW4oVM

Dang..It took 38 minutes to upload that to youtube.:wondering
Is that normal for a 2 minute vid on Cable connection?

Daddio
07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks Doug.
It has some features I havent even played with yet.
Finally got the vid uploaded. That came out pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vO2NNW4oVM

Dang..It took 38 minutes to upload that to youtube.:wondering
Is that normal for a 2 minute vid on Cable connection?

The video looks good and yes 38 minutes to upload a 2 minute video is not uncommon. It actually varies. Sometimes they upload quicker than others. :wondering

350Xhilaration
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I just saw this post. I know you bought a camera already, but thought I'd share in case anyone else stumbles across this thread looking for a new camera.

I was in the same boat while on vacation. My Nikon L18 crapped out and I was on day 5 of 11.

I looked at the Canon Powershot SD1000 (my mom has one and really likes it). Good camera. I think it's the same one as what you got, or very similar.

I ended up getting a Nikon L100 It's a larger body camera, but has 15X optical zoom with image stabilization and it works really well. It also has a decent "continuous mode" that will shoot 13 frames per second up to 30 frames (only at 3MP). I like this for sports events for the kids.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26170/COOLPIX-L100.html

My other camera was fixed under warranty, so I still have the small pocket sized cam for riding, hiking, etc. if i don't want to lug the larger camera around.

It was $200 (After the BestBuy store price matched their online price of $254, then price matched their Father's Day sale of $199 after we got home from vacation)

Attached are normal and zoomed in on the same subject.

Last picture was taken from the same distance as the parking lot. 13th floor.

brapp
07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
i liek the last pic but what yea ris it?lol looks like it might be getitgn vintage lol

Dirtcrasher
07-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Whoever that chick is, she needs to lay off the dam sun...... I see the nails and jewelry too, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Won't catch her on a trike :lol:

350Xhilaration
07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
No clue who she is. I was just testing the camera's Zoom.

She might be "vintage", but pretty darn good shape for her age.