PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for a 2003 Chevy 2500HD?

LonesomeTriZ
07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I may have a chance to buy a 2003 Chevy 2500. But I know next to nothing about the newer Chevy trucks. Here is what I know about this one.
4x4
Extended cab (Four door)
Leather interior (driver seat needs a little attention)
Nice aluminum tool box and bed rails.
Good tires
Now, for the not so good. The truck has been wrecked. But the damage is only skin deep. I have to replace the hood, grill, radiator, radiator support, fan, and maybe a few odds and ends here and there. The frame and engine are fine. Oh, and the air bag deployed so I have to replace the steering wheel. I do not know the mileage or the condition of the drive train other than it all appears intact. We do not have a lot of money to spend right now but it looks as though I can get the truck for $1500 and the parts for less than that. The one thing I really do not like is the truck has a gas engine. I think it is a 6.0. Well Chevy guys, what do you think?

Thorpe
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
The 6.0L is a gas hog...

SWIGIN
07-11-2009, 11:45 PM
The 6.0L is a gas hog...

i wouldnt say that and im a ford man.

my dads 04 chevy crew cab 4x4 6.0L gets mid teens as far as MPG goes....not bad for all that truck hauling around tool boxs and a rack.

The Goat
07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
my nanny had one for pulling a camper...it's a fuel hog. on the highway no camper she got 12-14. with the camper it was sub 10.

but for 1500 bucks.... I mean why not.

nothing beats a 7.3 though.... you can get them ten years older than that for the same price.

300rman
07-12-2009, 01:58 AM
1500 for that truck is a steal.

whats the title like? salvage or clear?

if its clear, then you can make some serious money on that.

if the title isnt clear, then you can probably double your money selling the parts like doors, BED, motor and trans, cab, etc.

LonesomeTriZ
07-12-2009, 07:39 AM
I know nothging of these trucks. But the 6.0 seems like it would suck gas more so then my wifes 96 F250. But I could be mistaken. It has a clear title so I hope to sell it when we no longer need it. I was looking at some ad last night and I did not see any that was selling under $12,000. I think we should get it as well.

Mosh
07-12-2009, 08:47 AM
The 6.0 engine is not what makes them gas hogs.
It is that massive 4l80E trans that engine has to turn.

That trans weighs almost 2 times as much as a 4l60E,and they have a very steep first gear.

Lonesome.
Along with the airbag module on the wheel, you are going to have to replace all the impact sensors, the main module,and possibly the pretensioners in the seat if it has them.Anytime you have deployment, to get the system operational again all of those parts have to be replced. They are one time only parts.
Those parts there are going to run, nothing short of an additional 1000-1500 for the parts.
Also, GM in their infinent wisdom (lol) decided to weld the bumper brackets to the frame.Any kind of impact bends them and takes the "crush" out of them.
They make new bracket kits, but you have to cut the old ones off the frame and weld the new ones on.
I would buy it for 1500 in a second.
Contracters use those trucks to drag backoes around to job sites. They hold up pretty damn good.

LonesomeTriZ
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I wonder if I can get away with not replacing all the airbag stuff. That might cuase me problems later though if the truck get wrecked again.

ants84olds
07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Dont have to replace the airbag stuff but the airbag light will be on and you wont have the protection when you need it. No airbags will not affect the way the truck drives.

tanks350x
07-12-2009, 11:19 PM
If you don't replace the afformentioned stuff affiliated with the airbag, especially the front sensor on the radiator support, as soon as you plug in the new airbag, BOOOOM!! Do yourself a favor and do it right, if you get it

LonesomeTriZ
07-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I agree that I should do it right. I just did not figure all that into the parts budget.

NE250r
07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
If you don't replace the afformentioned stuff affiliated with the airbag, especially the front sensor on the radiator support, as soon as you plug in the new airbag, BOOOOM!! Do yourself a favor and do it right, if you get it

LMAO reminds me of a time I did this to a Lexus I was fixing to turn around for a quick buck, had one of those big half vanilla, half choc cookies hanging out of my mouth whilst I was plugging in the air bag...yea, needless to say I ended up with a nose stuffed with cookie and a burned forehead. after writing in pain for 20 mins, I had a good laugh.....But as for the 6.0's Mosh had it right with the 4l80e trans, its a monster, but its worth it if your pulling a heavy load frequently. For $1500 I'd say its a great deal.

LonesomeTriZ
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Well, we cannot buy the truck. As good of a deal as it is, we just do not have the $1500. So it is going up for auction in a couple of days. He will get a lot more for it any way.

tanks350x
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Not only should you get all sensors affiliated with it, you're going to need someone to reset the computer, to shut off that light on the dash. Trust me, It can be very costly to get all the stuff involved. I payed around $900 for both of my airbags for my 1997 Sierra. And that was from a wrecking yard. I got the 2 airbags, and sensors from the same truck

LonesomeTriZ
07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I had a buddy of mine check into that, and You are correct. I would drop just as much on that stuff as I would have the outer parts.

wheelie king
07-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Everything happens for a reason, Louis.

Remember- It's not the good deals you miss, it's the bad deals you make.

^that is quotable and signature worthy, for the friggin record....:lol:

LonesomeTriZ
07-14-2009, 07:30 AM
That was pretty good.

300rman
07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I had a buddy of mine check into that, and You are correct. I would drop just as much on that stuff as I would have the outer parts.

still worth the money they are asking, weather you fix it, or part it.

LonesomeTriZ
07-15-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree, but we do not have the $1500 required to buy it.

300rman
07-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree, but we do not have the $1500 required to buy it.

that blows, you could turn around and part it and easily double your money, and thats if you practically give the parts away.

LonesomeTriZ
07-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Yep. I felt sick when I watched it sell for $4100 at auction.