PDA

View Full Version : 2006 KTM Fork conversion for 250R

1BFC
07-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone,

Well I've been working Jason Hall to get the front end on my 1986 250R converted over to use 2006 KTM 85SX forks. After much research on the right springs and other components we finally got everything together about a week ago. The difference between the stock forks and the newer 2006 forks is so vast that it's hard to describe.

My stock forks were in good working condition and not in the slightest sloppy. I've had others ride my machine that can verify that (Billy G being one of them). So, when I say the difference is other wordly good... I really mean it.

Jason Hall did all of the fab work on the custom triples and other related conversion components. We used the stock 85SX front caliper and it does a fine job even though it is pretty small in size. I have no issues with the front brake and it was originally an iffy point to use the 85SX caliper. That all turned out fantastic in the end.

I went with a set of Fastco Flexx bars on this setup because, well, if you are going to try and make the front end as good as possiuble, you might as well go whole hog...right? :w00t:

The bar mounts I used were pretty basic ones from TAG. I think Houser has the perfect set of bar mounts to be honest though and would recomend them for anyone else doing this mod with 1 1/8" bars. The houser mounts for a standard TRX450R would work as that's what the guys I ride with have and I've seen them first hand and believe that they would bolt right up to Jason's triples.

A BIG thanks to Jason and Billy to helping me get this together. I can't say enough for either of them and both are about as trustworthy as you can get. DO this mod to your bike.... it's worth every single penny!

Some pics attached. Enjoy and happy riding!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79664&d=1247950818

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79665&d=1247950872

Billy Golightly
07-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Looks awesome Russ, I'm sure it works even better. We need to get together again for some riding...maybe make a track weekend.

FATTYFIVE
07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
That looks INCREDIBLE!! I need to hook something like that to my 500r. SAAAWWWEEEETTT.. Price to follow...???

FATTYFIVE
07-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I keep lookin at that...WOW... Is the rake the same or modded? I see the axle is leading, do you think that aids in the awesome difference?

Jason Hall
07-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Glad your happy Russ, that thing just looks sooo MEAN.. I love the bars!!! Thanks for the suggestions and Input on the springs and bar mount's! Your a great guy who Is not afraid to Investigate different option's. You made doing this first set fun :beer

What color fork gaurds will you be using???

1BFC
07-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Billy: Definitely need to hook up some time in the near future. I'll give you a call to work schedules out.

Fatty: The rake you'd have to ask Jason about. I believe the triples have 0 rake built in (stockers have 6 degrees) but since it's a leading axle everything stays the same over all wheel base wise. You end up with a geometry that works VERY well. Jason did all the initial guinea pig stuff on his own 450R conversion and I just asked him to produce it for the 250R, which he did perfectly.

Pricing you'll have to PM Jason about. The forks I picked up off of this site. The price on the forks varies greatly, you'll just have to look and see what's out there. Over all, when it's all said and done, the mod isn't on the cheap side though. Still, worth every single penny....

Jason: I'll probably end up with red guards to offset the black fork barrels. I'm going to clean up the brake line routing a bit since it's just zip tied in place currently. That seems to work, but doesn't look "right."

:beer

FATTYFIVE
07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I've been looking for something to do in the front of my fatcat500, which is 250r85?. I have an OHLINS rear linkless shock with zero hrs. when I installed it. It makes the "80's" front REALLY show. Now that you say your forks were up to speed(old ones), I will just convert and save my time. Thanks for posting, thats looks Fantastic!:drool: :drool: :drool: