PDA

View Full Version : New riding place in NC: "NO" to 3 wheelers

JayP
07-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Everyone,

I found a new OHV trail park on the internet about 20 miles from my house. I thought great! I will have somewhere to go ride just minutes away! It is a new park and is privately owned. It is Sunday and I wasn't doing anything so I decided to drive out and check it out and maybe meet the management.

There were quite a few trucks and trailers parked, but not many people around. They had a permanent office and a nice concessions trailer. I was reading the big rules and message board when the guy manning the registration office came out and greeted me. He was very nice and all smiles UNTIL I asked if they allowed three wheelers. He said absolutely NO. He went on to explain that 3 wheelers were built as dunes bikes and not really for trails riding. He said the main owner had decided to not let them in for safety reasons as they tip over to easy. I asked if it was for insurance reasons and he said it was not because they did not have any insurance beyond normal liability like any busines or homeowner. He further said that parks greater than 150 acres could not get insurance, anywhere, and this pak is far bigger than 150 acres. He said I could ask the main owner who would be back in from the trails soon. We spent the next 15 minutes talking about the trails and the rules. He told me how strict they had to be on noise levels and spark arresters because of USFS codes. They have rules requiring helmets, gloves, boots, long pants and shirts; all this gear is strictly required.

Well finally here came the main owner and we waved him over. So much for the "strict rules" as the owner had no helmet, no gloves, a short sleeve shirt, and a big chainsaw strapped to the back rack. So much for his credibility on rules! The other guy told him I was inquiring about the possibility of some trails allowing 3-wheelers. He immediately said "NO WAY! it is easy enough to get killed on a four wheeler and we can't allow three wheelers in here; they are too dangerous". He went on to say it wasn't even his decision it was the insurance man who said no. I said the other man had told me you can't even get insurance so that isn't a factor. He mumbled on about some guy named Randy who insures all the events around the country including NASCAR and that there was NO WAY three wheelers could be allowed. He had to leave and go do some things before clearing up the insurance excuse that was an obvious contradiction to what the other guy already said. I guess he was just hiding behind the insurance guy when he prohibited three wheelers himself with no real reason or logic involved in the decision.

What do you all think about this? How does Haspin and Badlands and all the dunes parks allow three whees but these guys say it is impossible? What is the Haspin management's view on this?

The park is Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park in Taylorsville, NC.
The website is: http://www.bmmspark.com/

Jay

Trikeaholic
07-28-2003, 09:29 PM
mabey we should have a TF there and see what he says about all those $$$$$ he will be missing.

07-31-2003, 05:43 PM
I went to the web site and looked around. It doesn't say no three wheelers so I sent the guy an email and asked him. Will let you knwo if he responds. FYI the address is:

Richardmull@vol.com

JayP
07-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Richard Mull is the guy who said NO WAY. I am curious what he'll say to you. Let us know.

That area was rated #1 in the US by Rev magazine.

verna3
07-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Personally I think that is a bunch of bull. Why can't they have a waiver you sign incase you get hurt?

08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Might be a good idea if everyone to send an email asking the same questions. Might gve him an idea of the number of people (dollars) that are still interested in trikes. I actually live in Alabama and probably won't get a chance to ride there anyways, but Richard Mull doesn't know that. Al he knows is that I have a three wheeler and I want to know if it is allowed there.

08-04-2003, 11:35 AM
This is what I got back from Mull:

Larry,

I'm sorry but you heard it right. Due to legal ramifications 3 wheeled atvs
can not be permited to ride at Brushy Mountain. Most of the private trail
riding Parks of any size that are run as a true business will not allow or
can't allow 3 wheelers. I hate that we can not accommodate you.

Sincerely,

Richard Mull

mkramm
08-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Oh I would much rather have a 700lb 4 wheeler roll over me than a 300lb trike!!!!! Thats just me though, I have an adversion to being trapped under things.

Dan Tenn
08-08-2003, 09:37 AM
take a spare wheel and strap it to the rear of your trike and go for it. Tell them it has four wheels and see what they say.

DOG987
08-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm getting tired of this crap too virtualy no tracks or parks
will allow trikes it's bullsh!t. some one needs to open a park
just for trikes no four wheelers or dirt bikes and if they
complain you could just say are insurance will not allow
them to ride with trikes because trikes are too dangerous
:naughty:

honda250sx
08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Been working in the carolina's since march. Alls i can say is screw the carolinas. I hate it here. IMO wheelers and bikes are just as dangerous. Should not make a difference.

kwbyfrmhell
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
It is the same way here at the local lake atv trails. Stanley Draper Lake (okc city lake) they have 17 miles of trails and different skill levels, NO THREE WHEELED VEHICLES. pisses me off they just built them and turned the old grounds into a golf course, You used to be able to ride anything you wanted.
here is the link
http://www.lakedraper.com/

jmsmilin
08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Everyone,

I found a new OHV trail park on the internet about 20 miles from my house. I thought great! I will have somewhere to go ride just minutes away! It is a new park and is privately owned. It is Sunday and I wasn't doing anything so I decided to drive out and check it out and maybe meet the management.

There were quite a few trucks and trailers parked, but not many people around. They had a permanent office and a nice concessions trailer. I was reading the big rules and message board when the guy manning the registration office came out and greeted me. He was very nice and all smiles UNTIL I asked if they allowed three wheelers. He said absolutely NO. He went on to explain that 3 wheelers were built as dunes bikes and not really for trails riding. He said the main owner had decided to not let them in for safety reasons as they tip over to easy. I asked if it was for insurance reasons and he said it was not because they did not have any insurance beyond normal liability like any busines or homeowner. He further said that parks greater than 150 acres could not get insurance, anywhere, and this pak is far bigger than 150 acres. He said I could ask the main owner who would be back in from the trails soon. We spent the next 15 minutes talking about the trails and the rules. He told me how strict they had to be on noise levels and spark arresters because of USFS codes. They have rules requiring helmets, gloves, boots, long pants and shirts; all this gear is strictly required.

Well finally here came the main owner and we waved him over. So much for the "strict rules" as the owner had no helmet, no gloves, a short sleeve shirt, and a big chainsaw strapped to the back rack. So much for his credibility on rules! The other guy told him I was inquiring about the possibility of some trails allowing 3-wheelers. He immediately said "NO WAY! it is easy enough to get killed on a four wheeler and we can't allow three wheelers in here; they are too dangerous". He went on to say it wasn't even his decision it was the insurance man who said no. I said the other man had told me you can't even get insurance so that isn't a factor. He mumbled on about some guy named Randy who insures all the events around the country including NASCAR and that there was NO WAY three wheelers could be allowed. He had to leave and go do some things before clearing up the insurance excuse that was an obvious contradiction to what the other guy already said. I guess he was just hiding behind the insurance guy when he prohibited three wheelers himself with no real reason or logic involved in the decision.

What do you all think about this? How does Haspin and Badlands and all the dunes parks allow three whees but these guys say it is impossible? What is the Haspin management's view on this?

The park is Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park in Taylorsville, NC.
The website is: http://www.bmmspark.com/

Jay

:mad: Man that pissed me off reading it. I cant stand close minded idiots that know nothing about 3-wheelers and here the guy doesnt even where a damn helmet. There is no difference between the safety of a 2, 3, or 4 wheeler only the people that ride them. Im sure hes seen 3 wheeled Harley on the road before. We should all email/petition him.

bones200x
10-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I sent an email.

400exguy
10-29-2007, 05:05 AM
That sucks! But the rules are the rules no matter what the reasoning for not wanting 3 wheelers. Someone should open up a "3 wheeler only" park. Haha that would be funny.

bones200x
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
TC,

I do not know who spoke to you but we have never banned 3 wheelers. They are right in telling you that insurance companies will not insure any parks that allow 3 wheelers. The only vehicles "ATV Types" that are not allowed are the side by side seating machines with roll cages and steering wheels. We are a "trail riding" park and our trails are not designed or built for the large Utility Vehicles. Maybe sometime in the future when there are as many of these types of vehicles as there are bikes and sport quads we will build trails for there use. At some point in the future when insurance is affordable and available and they tell us that we can no longer allow 3 wheelers we will then ban them from the Park.

Thanks

This is the response I received.

ATCT
10-30-2007, 04:13 PM
What a bunch of retards. I love the idea that ONE WHEEL is the saving grace of making 4-wheelers safe and 3-wheelers not safe. I guess this is old hat, but a poor driver on or in anything is unsafe.

To hell with them, I say.