PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinons on .40 pistols.

300rman
07-21-2009, 11:52 PM
i am looking to buy one in the near future, but i hear mixed reviews on them. I know certain models are throw-away after a few thousand rounds, so obviously i want to avoid those.

need some advice on what kinds to get, while not breaking the bank.

also, what abouts am i looking at pricewise? i havent been to any gun shows in months, i have no idea what prices are like.

Thorpe
07-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Love my smithy Sigma .40... Run at least 1500 rounds through it w/o a problem... great little piece for $300-350... Polymer and stainless, what more could you want!

wheelie king
07-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I would go with a Glock Model 23. Excellent gun and can be had for about 525. But I am biased. (Major glock fan, here:w00t: )
The sigma is a poor copy of a glock IMO, and if you plan to shoot it much, you'd likely be disappointed with the consistency of performance, or should I say lack thereof. Trust me. I had one.

The Glock platform is king for a reason, pretty much.

If you are on a budget, weapons such as the Sig Sauers and H&Ks are gonna be too pricey (800+)

If you are not a glock man, try the taurus millenium or 24/7 series pistols, depending on the size you are looking for. The Smith and Wesson M&P .40 is a nice pistol as well.

Happy hunting and good luck.

The Goat
07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
I have the sw40ve with over 9k rounds fired without a malfunction. That's a about 2 grand worth of ammo through a 300$ pistol.

Just curious as to why the .40? The recoil snaps up and to the left which makes followup shots more difficult than a 9mm, .45, or even a .357 sig.

You basically have three choices if you don't want to break the bank and want to have reliability.... Smith and Wesson (Sigma or M&P), Glock, or XD.

All are basically the same firearm with Glock having the benefit of tennifer.

If you really are interested in take down power... the 9x25mm is really beginning to look promising. If a major manufacturer puts out a nice one, I'm getting it. Imagine a 9mm bullet at 124 grains doing 1900 fps...makes a .357 mag look like a baby.

Wheelie, I gotta go against you on the taurus millenium...shot one the other day that was about 500 rounds old...jamomatic...and I DON'T limp wrist. And you gotta get one of the new Sigma's and shoot it, it's not like the old ones, I promise.

300rman
07-22-2009, 01:05 AM
well, i am thinking a .40 because ammo can be readily had around here according to all the gun guys. i wont be carrying for a long time (only 19) so follow up shot accuracy isnt too big of a issue right now.

i am mainly concerned about apartment security. my AK makes a piss poor choice for home defense, as it will kill 10 people before the bullet stops. the gun wont leave the apartment, so getting caught underage isnt an issue, and shooting someone isnt either, as my roomie is 21, we can say its his.

plans are to eventually get:

.357, .500, 20 and 12 gauge shotguns, pair of 9mm, mosin, and a 30-6.

one step at a time lol.

The Goat
07-22-2009, 05:04 AM
lol...trust me on this one... a hollowpoint will go through more walls than you can imagine.

oh well, get a gun, get good rounds, the end. caliber isn't all that important. shot placement shot placement shot placement.

wheelie king
07-22-2009, 08:39 AM
shot placement shot placement shot placement.
Thankg God! YES!

I guess I had a bad experience with the sigma, and the 10+ pound trigger pull and so- so quality (IMO) got to me. Hell, it is only a 300 buck gun, I guess. I am just spoiled, with my pistol preference (which is picky), and the sigma didn't stack up. Oh well.

I have never shot the Taurus MIlleniums, but with Goat's story, I'd stay away from them. Glad I heard that. However, I did shoot a Taurus 24/7 pistol chambered in .45 ACP and that was a nice gun.

Go to a range where you can rent pistols, and try a few out. That's the best way to really see what's out there and what FITS you ;)

AutoXer
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I like my p22 for in the house. Its light, easy to use and has a nice safty. I think all that "you won't stop some one with a 22 cal" is a bunch of bs you more than likely won't kill them but I wouldn't want to get shot with any gun .......

MagicJames
07-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Honestly
. I do not like .40 Cal but, to each their own. If you're going .40 Cal I'd get a smith and wesson XD or a Glock, whichever model you like and fits you.
I carry a Colt 1911 Defender or a Springfield 1911 GI .45 Cal, flying ashtray is the only way I go.

But if you can't afford to buy ammo then there is no point in purchasing that caliber. Such as .380

300rman
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
lol...trust me on this one... a hollowpoint will go through more walls than you can imagine.

oh well, get a gun, get good rounds, the end. caliber isn't all that important. shot placement shot placement shot placement.

oh i know that, but no matter what pistol i am shooting, it is still safer for the neighbors than a AK. and if i shoot someone, im not planning on missing, and that slows the bullet plenty, whereas the 7.62 round will just keep passing through the neighboring buildings.......

Billy Golightly
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Walther PPS .40, or 9mm? They are a little spendy, around the same price as a Glock.

hancadam
07-22-2009, 06:42 PM
My millennium pro pt-111 has been outstanding. My cousin has the Sigma and XD both in .40. The Sigma has been flawless but the XD not so much. He cannot fill both mags to full capacity without jams. If he leaves 2 rnds out it works perfect. All 3 guns have about 1000 rnds.

The Goat
07-23-2009, 02:53 PM
guys just wanna point out something...like 95% of people shot with a handgun survive...

If the bad guy wants to keep coming, he can keep coming. I'll never forget an interview I read about an old sheriff.

Something to the effect of: "Man is a funny critter, some you barely knick and they drop their guns screaming like babe, others are animals. They are either the easiest things to stop in the world, or titans."

theiizz08
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I have to agree with magic i dont care for the 40 cal i my self carry a colt gov.1911 45 cal its time tested you could bury it a sand pile rinse it off in a mud hole and still dump your mag with no malfun.

The Goat
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
unless you're talking about a GI 1911 with ball ammo...I can't see how that's true. lol

sorry

Takes a whole lot of fitment and polishing before I'm trusting my life to a 1911. But there is a blacked out kimber 1911 in 10mm I'm hoping to get soon.

hancadam
07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Goat is right, almost any 1911 can be very picky on ammo. I have had 4 different brands and all had issues unless it was ball ammo. My best friend has a Kimber Custom and even it is picky on ammo.

The only one that I have had much luck with was a 9mm Star BM. It will shoot anything.