PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Cats on my Taurus

TrailerRider
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Are they suppose to sound like this? I have torqued the bolts, installed new round gaskets seals direct from ford. I can't find any exhaust leaks anywhere. I took a hose and found the ricer sound coming from the upper ypipe cat. Is this normal? Will it quiet down over time? It has a cheap cherry bomb muffler which I am pretty sure is what is cauing the poping noise. The ypipe cats are brand new.

Can anyone hear a exhaust leak or is this what the combo cats+muffler sound like?

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/745317/fullsize/dscn0003.wav

AutoXer
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
should have had it running when you started recording. Pretty short clip to tell any thing. The cheap trashy sound is from the cherry bomb

Thorpe
07-24-2009, 01:12 PM
should have had it running when you started recording. Pretty short clip to tell any thing. The cheap trashy sound is from the cherry bomb

X2... :w00t:

TrailerRider
07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Well the fukin brand new converter was not sealed right from magan flow. It is leaking out the back converter.. :mad: So now I have to have the leak welded shut. Which means I have to yank the converter out, buy new gaskets again and take the car down for smog again and pay another $50 bucks. Which now brings the smog total to $610... Flow master from now on. California SUCKS!!!!!!

J.D.
07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Why would you even bother with hi-flo cats on a Taurus??? It's a family car, leave it be.

TrailerRider
07-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Because regular cats are $1800. Magna flow high flows where like $410 out the door and I can install them myself. Here is a family car SHO motor :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Nick_R_23
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM
My buggy has a 3.2 liter SHO motor from an automatic transmission SHO, with a Roots style Eaton blower from an 89 Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe. It's puts 278 hp to the ground and has 300 pound*feet of torque from about 1200 rpms up to 6000.

Only 278 hp? WITH a supercharger too?? :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

hancadam
07-25-2009, 09:16 AM
278 to the ground from a 3.2 is pretty awesome.

Yamada
07-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Weren't these engine Yamaha motor?

wheelie king
07-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I would send magnaflow the bill on repairing that cat. That stinks.
SOme of the SHOs had yamaha motors, and some were ford. The yamaha motors were the ones to have. Too bad they outlasted the car by a longshot.....

278 to the ground from a 3.2 is pretty awesome.

so is 204 at the wheels, 271 lb/ft torque, from a 4 cylinder 2.0 ;)

Thanks, VW!

J.D.
07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Ok now I can understand due to price difference. Thought you were just trying to be a cool guy and race out a Taurus or something....

TrailerRider
07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Nope, no point in trying to race a 3.0 vulcan.. :lol:

honda250sx
07-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah why dont you complain to magnaflow?

I bought a fram oil filter once for my ride. Jacked up the car, dropped the oil and filter. Took the new one out of the box. I had a nice sealed tin can. NO ELEMENT INSIDE. I took a picture of me, under the car, OBVIOUSLY inconvienced... I wrote a really nice crappy attitude laced letter, included the bum filter, threw it in a priority box back to Fram.

About two weeks go by. I come home to find a huge fram box sitting infront of the garage. Bastards sent me a case of 100 filters. Dear sir we apologize!

Sure does pay to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. I haven't complained about them since.

Bunnyhop
07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
So is you Taurus an SHO or not? SHO motors sound raspy no matter what you do. They are actually a Ford block with YAMAHA internals and heads and intake. An excellent motor for sure. They are great for humbling the tards that try to race everything with their Mustang 5.0s. Like was stated earlier, the engine outlasts the entire car.

TrailerRider
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
It is a 3.0 Vulcan, no sho. :( I bought the converter througha website so I am trying to get ahold of them and deal with them directly rather than mag, but they have not responded yet and this is going on a week. Dammit You canbet your ass they are getting the bill for the work.

Update. Took it up to the smog shop and it passed emmisions but failed cause of a tps sensor error. Tested and was bad. Replaced and onthe way back up to the shop (still leaking) and threw an 02 sensor error. Grrrrr!! Now I have to get a dam 02 as well.. This is turning into the biggest pile of steaming dog crap I have ever dealt with. Now the cra sits on my car ramps till I find out what to do now. Can't drive it with that bad of leak, it is starting to eat my 02's. If I don't get a response back from them by monday I am going to do 1 or 2 things.

1. Yanks cats and have them welded. SHops say they are thin and may burn holes in them so it is up to me to take the chance.. :rolleyes:
2. Take JB weld and seal all the way around the beeach.

We'll see.

MTS
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
I think i would Shoot myself if i had to put up with that much crap to put a car on a road, Dang, my 78- has No cats, 2.5 duals with glasspacks out the back...lmao