PDA

View Full Version : Hi Petformance ATC info needed

QUASIMOTO
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I just picked up a frame made by Hi Performance ATC, and I'm looking to find out what I can about it. It was missing the forks and triple tree, I don't have a clue what kind might work. I would also like to update the swingarm and rear axle.

ATC-Eric
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Post up some pictures, you will probably get a better response.

shortline10
07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
What motor is this frame for RD400? Hi performance ATC made some very wild stuff back in the day . Custom Big motor applications . Good luck with the forks and trees as their very hard to come by , I think an aftermarket atc110/185 style front suspension kit is what your going to need with that frame .

QUASIMOTO
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I was thinking I would probably go with a different front end; just need to find one that will fit. This is the frame that can use the RD350 or RD400 motor. I have one of each since I'm into RDs. but all the motor in the world is no good without forks. LOL

blue27
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
post up some pics, I have a Hi Performance catalog, I can scan some info then. is it a ridged rame? It should use a ATC90 front end, look on ebay sometimes a suspensuion front end pops up.

QUASIMOTO
07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
These are some pics of what the frame looks like. Also a couple that I found on here posted by vealmonkey. I will take whatever info I can get.

jb2wheels
07-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Too cool.

I remember seeing those things with a hand pull start lever in place of the kicker.

Could you just bolt on like a 200s fork or something?

Vealmonkey
07-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Okay. I looked at this yesterday, but it didn't have any pics so I didn't respond. The rear axle is based on the Honda 185. The front end is also based on the atc90/110/185. If you want to have a drum front brake you would use a 185s front end. If you want a front disc brake you can use a 81/82 atc250r front end. These bikes were made for the wide front tire as there was nothing else at the time. I should have an aftermarket front end that should fit this also. I guess I can put my atc250r front end on and sell you the stock Hi Performance front end on mine if you would like. The rear disc brake is the front disc off an rd350. My rear axle is hollow chromoly, which was an option. Finding a wide rear axle for this will be hard, but I know of a heavy duty stock width 185s axle that should work. Not sure about the mount for the rear disc brake though. You may have to press the hub off your axle and install onto a new axle, which will probably be a pain. I would have to see a close up pic of the hub on your axle to tell for sure. You will have to rig up a rear master cylinder and pedal to have front and rear disc brakes if you want. The rd350/400 is a really tight squeeze going into those frames. The big thing you are missing though is the custom exhaust pipes. Not sure if DG pipes would work or not as the frame kit came with custom exhaust pipes and mine came with an engine with the pipes installed. I can't tell if you have tank mounts or not. Some frames had honda tank mounts and some people rigged their own mount. Honda tank mounts were an option, but honda tanks wouldn't carry much fuel for an RD350. They also made this frame to fit h1500/ h2750 2 stroke triple kawi engines, but I've only seen one. Your frame is meant for honda 90/110 rear fenders though. A real piece of history and a great find. Have some fun with it. They were sort of the T-Bucket of the trikes at the time. They had options for several different engines and pretty much they ended up being an extension of their owner from mild to wild! You see alot of them in the early trike magazines from 1980/81 and 82. Feel free to PM me if I can help you with anything else. My frame is in the corner of my garage and has take a back seat to some other projects. I even have the DG sunburst gold heads I need to install on mine. I have a title for my engine as well. And there are alot of hop up bits for the rd350/400 engine. Or maybe you could transplant something a little newer that has water cooling?! Keep us posted whatever you decide and lots of pics.

QUASIMOTO
07-29-2009, 05:52 PM
WOW, thanks for answering so fast . I just emailed a guy who has a 200x triple tree on ebay, and it sounds like it might work, what do you think. He said the bearing was 41mm which is the same as the frame. My rear axle appears to be solid . What kind of wheels will work? Would that be the atc185 also? This is my first trike, so am quite ignorant; I'm mainly into RD's so when I sqw this frame I had to have it. Do you still have that PDF of the catalog you mentioned before? Thanks for you help

Vealmonkey
07-29-2009, 07:06 PM
The 200x is not a bolt on! You would have to remove the 200x stem and put in a atc90/110/185 frame stem. It's a bit of work. If you have a buddy that is a good machinist mechanic he could probably help you through it, but not a job with little or no mechanical skills or not many tools. Look on ebay for 81/82 atc250r front end with all the forks and triple trees and such. You really need to keep the wide front wheel to keep the traditional look. I can sell you a front end, not sure on shipping though. Lots of metal parts!!

Bigbore
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I've got a Hi-Performance ATC set of triples set up for '81-'82 250R front forks. It was with my Hi-Performance 185s frame.

If you want them, $125 shipped.

QUASIMOTO
07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I just haven't decided yet which way I going to go with the front end.