PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's MX Races

TimSr
07-28-2003, 09:04 AM
The first of the local Fair races was last night, and as I have for several years, I ran the TriZ. As the races started, a huge storm was moving in. After about the first 4 -5 races, its started coming down pretty good. TimJr was the 11th moto, and by then the track was good and sloppy, and he pulled 3rd place. I was the last moto, and they combined Senior Quad and Blaster classes to run at the same time. By then the rain was a torrential downpour, with standing water on the whole track, 4-6" in the entire back half of the track. I got a 4th place holeshot as I held back to bypass the inevitable 1st turn pileup. (those kids on Blasters are nuts) As I was making a pass, a rider got bumped hard, and ran into me, knocking me clear off the track. I saved it from a dump, and hopped right back on the track, and made a couple of passes where I held 4th of the combined group, and got 2nd in my class. This was running my baldies MX tires as I wasnt expecting the rain. A few more laps, and Im sure I could gained a couple more places, but could'ves and woud'ves dont amount to much at the end of the day.

Just wanted to share in the fun, that I had, and in the opportunity to show where the strengths of the trike lie. On a normal track, the trike puts me at a major disadvantage, but when you add plenty of mud and water, suddenly the tables turn, and it becomes an advantage. I guess you can believe its because I cant ride a trike, but pardon the laughter from anyone who has ridden with me. There is another Fair race (Medina Co.)on Wednesday evening, where I can try it again, but I dont expect as much assistance from mother nature for that one.

Howdy
07-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Sounds like you had fun. Good job on the finishes. I wished I could have been there to see you amd Jr race.

We got a lot of wind and some rain last night but the most of it went to the North.
Howdy

J.D.
07-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Congrats Tim Sr/Jr. We have no good races around here except the Terribles Town 250(actually 259 miles), and it's all desert/rocky terrain with washes and gullies. I've been thinking about entering next year with the Tri-Z, but I'd need someone with a truck and fuel, spare tires, etc. It would cost a pretty penny to run I'm sure.

ATC crazy
07-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Congratulations :-P Sounds like you and the little one had a great time there. I would love to enter some Hare Scrambles just for the fun and experience of it....

Wickedfinger
07-28-2003, 04:37 PM
.... did ya take any pics this time Tim?

NOS_350X
07-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Congrats Tim Sr/Jr. We have no good races around here except the Terribles Town 250(actually 259 miles), and it's all desert/rocky terrain with washes and gullies. I've been thinking about entering next year with the Tri-Z, but I'd need someone with a truck and fuel, spare tires, etc. It would cost a pretty penny to run I'm sure.

this race your talking about when is it and where?? Is it close to you? if i can get my X running and get my license i might take a trip to run a race like that around here they wont let 3wheelers enter ANY kind of race at all

J.D.
07-28-2003, 08:29 PM
It's in Pahrump, Nevada. Start and finish line is at Terribles Town, it's a 259 miles race in rough desert terrain. It's put up by Best In The Desert Racing Association(They also put on a Vegas to Reno race, 500 frikking miles of desert!), they may have a website. Dirtbikes, Quads, Buggies and Trucks run the race, but motorcylces start first, then quads, then truckes, then buggies. THe first dirtbikes usually come in 1 hour after all the buggies have left. Most even made it in under 5 hours, that's good time! Thing is, you gotta have a pickup truck follow you from Pit to Pit with Fuel & supplies....lemme know if you enter or whatever!

bigred110
07-28-2003, 09:12 PM
If one of you guys do decide to do it, let me know I'll give you guys a hand.

NOS_350X
07-28-2003, 10:35 PM
when does this all go down??

bigred110
07-29-2003, 03:11 AM
Terribles Town 250

I've found some info about the race. I looked at the rule book(kinda) and I couldn't so no 3 wheelers alloud, I could of missed it. :?

Rules and stuff: http://www.bitd.com/

info: http://www.off-road.com/atv/race/bitd/2003tt250/wrapup.html

TimSr
07-29-2003, 09:46 AM
.... did ya take any pics this time Tim?

Sorry, I still havent mastered the art of racing while simultaneously photographing myself! The way the rain was coming down, I didnt even shoot TimJr. Took these in the van.

ATC crazy
07-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Wow...Tim Jr looks just like you in those pics. :shock:

TimSr
07-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Last night the guys from the pond race got their revenge! Track conditions were excellent, and they kicked my butt! I got 8th out of 8, though I did make them work for it. TimJr shot video, and I have to say I was very pleased with my riding. A Lot better than my first MX on the TriZ 5 years ago! Of course the downside is that during that time lots of new quads, and new modifications for them have greatly opened the gap of the edge that they have. Nobody gets away from me in the straights, but those things keep cornering faster and faster every year, while Im frozen in a time warp. If I rode the way I did last night, 5 years ago, Id have kicked some serious butt. If I had ridden my quad last night, Id have probably finished in the top 3. 5 years ago, a dozen trikes would have shown up to race amongst the different classes. last night, out of almost 200 riders, I was the only one. Last year I was one of two. Times and rides sure have changed a lot in that short time. I figure a couple more years, and itll be so lopsided, it wont be fun anymore, but Im still having fun now, so Ill cross that bridge when I get there! Until then, next fair race is August 24th.

kyle
08-07-2003, 12:02 AM
I went and watched Tim Sr./Jr. race at the Medina Co. fair and let me tell ya! It was somethin' seeing that Z in there holding it's own!! Maybe next year i will enter my SX...JK!!!....Great job tho Tim's!!!! :clap :clap