PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Reverse lock lever issue/HELP

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2009, 06:13 PM
A bud needed a clutch, I offered to do it for 50$ but told him I wanted OEM or Barnett and a gasket and new oil and filter.

Instead, he got a "BUDDY" to do it for free with a 50$ EBAY crap clutch reusing the same oil and filter and gasket.

All done, reverse does not work.... So he calls me to fix it and I HATE touching other guys work.

Regardless, he has no 05 service manual, he says it's an 03 but I searched here and read that 05 was the 1st year with reverse?? I could care less what year it happened but I can only download the <02 manual.

Before I drive an hour to help this meatball, I wanted a manual but I can't find one. Honda typically has punch mars to align splines on 2 pieces, but I don't know if thats the case here. I just know he took it apart and now does not have reverse and the lever doesn't seem aligned.

Could someone either point me in the direction of a 400EX "reverse year" manual and or tell me how it's aligned?? I'm willing to bet it has marks but I don't want to waste my time as he is obviously cheap.....

I searched "reverse" "reverse lever" "reverse lock lever" and couldn't dig it up.

I can't get the 05 manual anywhere................

Thanks very much for ANY help!!

Kerick
08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
If its an 05 the lever is on the right front fender...Thought that might help if you were to use a fiche...

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Nah, I need the internal alignment of the reverse shaft.....If you were to change the clutch......... (IDK WTF the guy did??.............)

Thanks anyhow

MonroeMike
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I couldn't find one either, DC. I did find a 01-06 300ex one. The manual shows a reverse shifter in the trans (page 9-14). It "may" be simliar to the 400ex (I might be comparing apples to oranges here)...

Dirtcrasher
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, all I can do is try....

rdlsz24
08-03-2009, 12:02 PM
:beer

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fqn4t2mtnm0/2005_400ex_Transmission.pdf

Rob

Dirtcrasher
08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
^ Nice, where did ya find that? Do you have the whole manual?

Thats a tough manual to find!!

They took the clutch cover off, and all hell broke loose. I think I need the "clutch" portion of the manual, any chance you have that?? :D

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I posted on the 400EX forum 4 days ago and no one helped......

Dirtcrasher
08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
^ THANKS to you and MMIKE!!

You guys are the 1st ones to help out with manuals, I see it every day and I have allot of appreciation for that!! :beer

FATTYFIVE
08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
03 doesnt have reverse. 05 was the first year for reverse.
For 2005, along with 450R-inspired looks, the 400EX received a new brake light. To better match it intended audience, Honda engineers added a convenient reverse knob (similar to that found on the Suzuki Z400, Yamaha 660R Raptor and the 2005 Polaris Predator. The 400EX uses the same five-speed transmission, except reverse gear was added and the ratios were spaced specifically for sport ATV use. This is from atv sport e-zine

Dirtcrasher
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I learned quite a bit about these today.......

The original mechanic had the reverse lever in about 120 degrees out. You could be going along in 1st gear and downshift to neutral and that means TRANNY DEATH!!

So I got it together correctly. In the mean time, the guy that did the original work showed up, he WAS NOT HAPPY that I was fixing what he F'D up. I tried to explain that I just wanted to get it right and had no hard feelings all while I thought inside (have you been on 3WW??) :lol:

He was no help. He had the guts messed up and then adjusted the revers lock cable so far out that when I was done, you could still jam it in reverse and I second guessed myself as the other guy kept to himself but with a grin on his face. DAM, some people ought to try and learn something instead of being a beyatch.

I adjusted the cable, changed the oil and fired it up. All worked perfect but without the manual I was lost....... Thanks again very much for the manual!!

Simple design and concept, but without understanding it I or the other guy could have ruined a completely perfect 400EX.........................................