PDA

View Full Version : Any HVAC guys in here? I need advice...

Thorpe
08-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, as some of you may have read, this economy blows... I think that come Monday I am going to get laid off from my job of 7 years in a custom car fabrication shop... Lifes a peach isnt it? 7 years... How about a big prick in the rear? ANYWAYS... I think that in this time of unemployment, I should go back to school. I am thinking about getting into the HVAC trade, or even a pipe fitter... Any of you guys have any input for my current thoughts? Good, bad, or indifferent? Thanks! :beer

Dirtcrasher
08-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Sorry about the "soon" job loss..........

ANY trade you get into is gonna benefit you.

Think about what you would like to do and or enjoy to do.

But also, think about what people have to pay to be done, Thats a job that will always pay for itself.....

I'm in local union and haven't worked since January :D :w00t:

Erics350x
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
The only down side to changin careers is, most employers want 1-2 year experience. You can start by getting your taking the epa test. It only cost like $100 for the study books and test. Check with local HVAC Contractors and try and get in as a helper while you are goin to school. It's a great trade imo and will always be in demand.

Bryan Raffa
08-06-2009, 08:01 AM
the trades ... ah yes.. in these days of our economy you gotta be able to ,build anything! electrical,hang and Finnish drywall,roof & side,pour concrete, lay block,plumming...ect ..ect

if you get into a single trade...take a look around and see who is always busyer around you..you might pick that up as a second trade..good luck

people say no ones building ..ya right! learn as mutch as you can!

Thorpe
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Up here in MN, HVAC seems pretty in demand... Cold winters and hot summers... Gotta have heat and AC... I am thinking pipefitting would be a good creditial to have on the side of the HVAC... The custom fabrication is such a limited field that its just been waiting to dry up, and with this economy, the first thing people park are their street rods and muscle cars... Whats the general feeling about going Union or non Union in the trades?

RoscoW
08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Whats the general feeling about going Union or non Union in the trades?

All I can relay is my experience on this
I'm a ticketed commercial glass guy (glazier, metal mechanic officially) I did the apprenticeship thing on my own at a non union shop and spent the next 17 years growing with the company to become one of the largest in the city, my pay was always a couple bucks an hour less then the "union" guys in town, but I went the 17yrs without ever being laid off,and learning every aspect of the trade usually by trial and error. I also had a company truck to use and was treated to a good bonus at Christmas. Union glaziers were hired in for the job and then sent back to the hall to wait for the next job (Who made out better)

Whatever trade you do decide to enter do one thing, never stop learning from others, I tell all the younger people that work with us to watch and ask questions because there is always more than one way to do any job, the way I learned may not be the best and I'm always looking for different ways to expand my knowledge.
Learning every aspect of the trade is of greater benefit than you may know. I've managed to do almost all tasks related to my trade, glass production, window fabrication, estimating, project co-ordination, project management, commercial installations and because of that overall knowledge of the trade my name is well respected in the trade in this city. I could walk into any shop tomorrow in the city and walk out with a job.
I made a move about 7 years ago to a smaller shop that had some serious potential and have never looked back, Pay now well exceeds the union guys and the owner treats me extremely well, Together we've grown from a $100,000 a year company to last year when we did almost 10 million in work.We select the best guys we can find and usually "buy" them from their current employer.
At a union shop I would be making the same rate as the guy beside me on the swingstage who has no intention of making himself a better or more knowledgeable tradesman.
That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Ross..

smokinwrench
08-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I went to work for a coal fired power plant 1 1/2 years ago, doing maintenance. I joined the union and didn't have to. Kansas is a right to work state so you don't have to join. I felt I should because I would get the exact same treatment as union guys and they are paying does and that would make me a free loader (aka scab). I would take the risk of giving up our union, why because our line department is not union and they have better benifits then we do. I guess it depends on how strong the union is in your state as to join or not.

If your going to be a pipe fitter, boiler maker, etc. I would say the only way to go is union the way the economy is right now if your seeking a new career.

I know for a fact there is huge shortage of diesel mechanics right now and they make pretty good money. I know several Cat dealers will give you a job while you goto school. My old dealer would hire people for training they would work for 6-8 weeks then goto school for 6-8 weeks and every time they came back would get a .50 pay raise.

hinddee29
08-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd think long and hard before going into the constructions trades.
If your going to spend the time and money look into something in the medical field.
I've been in the construction field for tens years now and almost half has been not working due to lack of work. Guess it really just depends on your location.
Just don't jump into something. Union pipefitters here in Ohio make 30 something an hour. Well the sprinkler pipefitter due. Good luck to ya.

scottp597
08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Up here in MN, HVAC seems pretty in demand... Cold winters and hot summers... Gotta have heat and AC... I am thinking pipefitting would be a good creditial to have on the side of the HVAC... The custom fabrication is such a limited field that its just been waiting to dry up, and with this economy, the first thing people park are their street rods and muscle cars... Whats the general feeling about going Union or non Union in the trades?

My opinion? get into the 597's HVAC apprenticeship
http://www.pf597.org/

They pay for your training and provide job placement. Have a good attitude and be ready to work

Dirtcrasher
08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
The problem with the union here is this. They only need one Journeyman for 3 app's. So, when they need guys they don't want me for 42$ an hour, they want a 1st year guy making 16$ an hour.

Big companies are even worse, but they DO seem to take care of the "lead guys" Unfortunately I was in a shop of 5 guys and we crap went dead the boss just kept on his brother and a 3rd yer app....

We have 450 guys laid off right now and they claim it will double to 900 by next spring - so much for the economy picking up :(

I'm gonna keep paying dues to remain in the union but very soon I'm gonna have to look outside of the union for work as unemployment is running out and I have to prepare.

I don't even know what to think about unions anymore, but in reality, what jobs are safe?? IDT people know how bad it really is out there and I don't think we hit the bottom yet.......

Thorpe
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
My opinion? get into the 597's HVAC apprenticeship
http://www.pf597.org/

They pay for your training and provide job placement. Have a good attitude and be ready to work

Great idea... But Chicago would be a heck of a commute from Minneapolis....

scottp597
08-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Here maybe this will better suit you!
http://www.training539.com/

Thorpe
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey now! Thanks for the link!