PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own or have owned a chevy cavileer?

chris200x
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I did my research on these cars before I bought one last August. had 130,ooo miles on it. not in too bad of shape. and I've heard alot of good things about them. (good on gas, good in snow,, yada yada...)

in one year... First it was the brakes and wheel bearings went,, then a few months later the motor blew. last week a $215 fuel pump, and a few other little odds and ends had to be repaired. now today.. the fuel pump (or something else) went again. it just wont start!!! (same symptoms as the bad fuel pump again)

The new motor I put in it only had 16,ooo miles.. so HOPEFULLY that will be good for a long time...I put alotr of miles on it and change the oil religously... but what are some other problems you guys have seen with these? or what should I keep my eye on? its a 2002 coupe

:lock: :banned: :lock: :banned: :lock: :banned: .

Macs
08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I had bought one brand new in 1998 for my wife and still have it. It has about 180,000 miles, been through 6 fuel pumps, numerous injectors, numerous axles, bearings on just the right side. The car has been a nightmare. the engine blew in it about 2 years ago and it has been sitting at my sisters house ever since.

The Goat
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I had the same car under a different name... cobalt.

If can ever find someone to give you money for it...get away from it.

I had a rental cobalt for 6 months at a time due to deer loving my car. It was a piece.

Thorpe
08-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Head gaskets too....

Dirtcrasher
08-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Ahhhh yes......

Nothing better than not working and your MO FO vehicle won't run :( My friggen exhaust is falling apart. Cut, grind, migweld - fun-oh-fun :w00t:

At least my AC is working awesome!! (DC knocks on wood)

chris200x
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Head gaskets too....

I was aware of the headgasket problem. (knock on wood) I havent had problems with the newer motor. just the fuel pump.

i got a loan from my credit union at work to buy this POS.. so they have the title. does this mean I'm stuck with this money pit until its paid off (3 more years lol) or can I somehow sell it and look for something more reliable.

I want something goo don gas like this car... but without all the trouble! :(

Mosh
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Chris what exactly is it doing? to suspect a fuel pump?

chris200x
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I just had one put in last week.(almost 300 bucks with labor) it was fine for 2 or 3 days. today leaving work it was getting hard to start.. finally did. got home.. went to take my kid to football practice and it turned over a few times and that was it. I killed the battery or it just wouldnt turn over anymore. (same symptoms I had last week)

usually if you turn the key you can hear the pump turn on. ( I think, and its back in or near the gastank)) but I just dont hear that noise anymore. it turns over and wants to start.. but just stumbles and dies.

there is also a clickin under the hood in I guess what looks like a long grey fuse box on the drivers side of the motor along the side. sorry for the unofficial words here. I dont know a thing about automobiles.

tanks350x
08-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet on that fuel pump. If memory serves me correct, those cars don't have a distributer. So my guess is, it might be the crank sensor.. I had an 87, and an 89,,, I know,, apples and oranges but see if it even has spark still... The ignition module is located in a bad spot as well( don't know if GM changed that either) It's on the firewall behind the rack & pinion, exposed to the elements... Just my .02 Chris

Mosh
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Grab a relay from your horn circuit and put it where the fuel pump relay goes.
There is a diagram under the fuse cover there.It shows you what each relay is for.
The relays are almost all the same.They even have the same part # on them.
Swap a relay to the fuel pump relay slot, and see if it fires up.
Those relay centers have a habit for corroded terminals.
Wiggle the fuses and relays and see if it starts.

Also check you battery cables too.
Especially, just below the battery at the the battery tray. There is a steel strap on the battery ground cable, that bolts to the tray, just at the bottom of the battery.They have a habbit of breaking and causing all sorts of electrical issues.

And Get rid of that spastic signature for crying out loud...LOL

AutoXer
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
you have got to get more than a week out of a fuel pump..... was the filter changed at the same time? I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but check the basics before you sell that sweet 350x!!

daniel_250r
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
my brothers got an 02 cavelier hes had no problems having only recently bought it but i would never buy one, its way too basic, no rpm gauge c'mon

chris200x
08-07-2009, 11:38 PM
yeah my shop guy checked everything out the first time (so he says) told me there are wires touching somewhere or a short.. that keeps killing the pump (or at least the fuel pump.
I love wrenching n these old trikes..;) but foggeta bout it when it comes to automobles lol

chris200x
08-07-2009, 11:41 PM
my brothers got an 02 cavelier hes had no problems having only recently bought it but i would never buy one, its way too basic, no rpm gauge c'mon

I bought it because of the gas mileage ( also it was cheap for a newer car).. just to get myself back and forth to work.;)

That ford expidition we got cost me over $60 a week just back and forth to work. $25 would fill this one and last two weeks ahhahah.. trailpro

thanks for the info mosh.. it sounds like you know trailprotrailpro stuff! I'll mention it.

The Goat
08-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Can't go wrong with a carolla...I averaged 52 mpg last night in my gf's 1.8l

not too shabby.

Mosh
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
It is something dumb and simple I am tellin ya.

I worked for GM for 15 years,and have been in the field for over 20..
Intermittent problems are usually wiring related. And cost nothing to fix.
Knowing where to look is the key.

daniel_250r
08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
my dad rented a prius for the week end. now theres a gas saver average 99.9 mpg. sorry to hear you have to sell your trike chris

AutoXer
08-07-2009, 11:50 PM
you can trade or sell that cavalier you just have to get a lien release at the bank if you sell out right or a dealer can take care of it

mad
08-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet on that fuel pump. If memory serves me correct, those cars don't have a distributer. So my guess is, it might be the crank sensor.. I had an 87, and an 89,,, I know,, apples and oranges but see if it even has spark still... The ignition module is located in a bad spot as well( don't know if GM changed that either) It's on the firewall behind the rack & pinion, exposed to the elements... Just my .02 Chris

YES i had the same problem when i had my 93 and turned out to be the crank sensor.it is located in the back of the block under the intake but BECAREFUL on taking it out because their plastic end exposed to heat making them brittle spray something like wd40 and try twisting from side to side.

xd 200x
08-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I bought one new in 2001 drove it up until 2 weeks ago when I gave it away.
240k + only repair was a clutch at 130k and an alternator at 220k and front brakes at about 80k and 160k. In my opinion a really well built car almost zero maintenance, but it was a basic dependable reliable car. Maybe I got the factory freak or something.

On Another note. Why would you take out a 4 year loan on a car with 130k on it. That is just crazy.

300rman
08-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I had the same car under a different name... cobalt.

If can ever find someone to give you money for it...get away from it.

I had a rental cobalt for 6 months at a time due to deer loving my car. It was a piece.

My buddy had a SS Cobalt with a stage 2 powerup kit. thing hauled ass, just liked to burn up clutches.
other than that, it was a pretty decent car

my dad rented a prius for the week end. now theres a gas saver average 99.9 mpg. sorry to hear you have to sell your trike chris

you are BSing on that MPG, right? real world numbers dont even suggest 60MPG, let alone a hundred.....

daniel_250r
08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
it shows its energy consumption on the screen driving down the highway most of the time it was 99.9

hancadam
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
We bought ours new in 2002 and it has been great. Its been 7 years and we haven't had one problem.

The Goat
08-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Can't go by that daniel... the carolla reads that as well. There are tricks to driving them however. Speed up to 70, and then keep a light touch on the gas pedal to extend your decelleration for MILES instead of feet. works like a charm.

Don't trust a comp to calculate your mileage, calc it by what you put in the car.

Chris just remembered that my friends old lady has one, and it too has been flawless...luck of the draw?

I'd spend 3-500 on an early 90s carolla. the old single cams give damned good mileage and are unbreakable...not enough power to break anything though. lol

dcreel
08-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Here is some useless information...

In Japan.. Toyota sold the Cavalier from 95-2000. You can actually buy TRD parts for the Cavalier in Japan.
http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/toyota/cavalier/1999/toyota_cavalier_2262760_orig.jpg
TRD body kit for the Cavalier
http://members.shaw.ca/toyota_cavalier/page3/files/page3_11.jpg

Nick_R_23
08-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Chevy fuel pumps are notorious for going out at ~100K, nothing unusual there. What most people dont realize though, is when the fuel pump is changed, the wiring harness in the fuel tank MUST be changed. If it isnt, the pump is 99.9% guaranteed to stop working soon.

We have had a 2004 Cavalier since 04, and its been pretty reliable. I think the only thing we had to do to it so far was change out a sensor (cant recall which one, seems like it was an oxygen sensor), and the fuel pump last week. We've had to change the oil pan twice though because of huge rocks falling off trucks on the highway. :lol: Other then that its been problem free.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

z400guy28
08-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I have an 03 and the only things i had to replace was the fuel pump and i figured since i'm doing that should do the fuel filter to. That was 2 years ago. It's been a pretty decent car for us so far but i would not buy another just because i feel a little cramped in it.

daniel_250r
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Can't go by that daniel... the carolla reads that as well. There are tricks to driving them however. Speed up to 70, and then keep a light touch on the gas pedal to extend your decelleration for MILES instead of feet. works like a charm.

Don't trust a comp to calculate your mileage, calc it by what you put in the car.

Chris just remembered that my friends old lady has one, and it too has been flawless...luck of the draw?

I'd spend 3-500 on an early 90s carolla. the old single cams give damned good mileage and are unbreakable...not enough power to break anything though. lol
this car still drove from detroiet to london ontario for 5 bucks! only thing is you have to buy a very expensive battery every 7 years, because its a hybrid

Huffa
08-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi Chris !

You loved your Honda trike(s) reliability and the same goes for the cars, so the next time it is car time, buy an old Civic or Accord !

150K is nothing on a Honda or most Toyotas for that matter.

My step brother had a 1990 Toyota wagon with 433,000 miles and it was STILL running fine but had to retire because of body/frame rust.

He removed the speedometer before it went to the graveyard :D

It's tricky buying a high milage car though, you want one with enough high milage that the usual wear items of that particular car have been replaced, get one too low and no matter what brand it will need that item in future.

Your actually better off buying a Honda with 130 on rather then 100 because most likely the CV boots, timing belt, (few other wear items) water pump has all been replaced already .

chris200x
08-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I finally got the POS back yesterday,, after another two weeks in the shop. So hopefully I'll be good to go for a while now. this time it was something with the electrical sytem (can't remeber what technical term he used to describe it...) but there was a bad ground and a short somewhere.. that was preventing the car from starting.

I've about had it with this vehicle! lol

Huffa
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Trade it in on a Honda ! :D

xXxDaNxXx
09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
when in doubt, but a Corrolla.

RodKnockRacing
09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
i got a 99 cav and that thing had been hard to start ever since i got it 2 yrs ago always have to give a little gas while its crankin then fires up but if its a cold morning it will fire right up without giving it gas also leaks a little oil around the valve cover but otherwise good car

rdlsz24
09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I got a new '99 Z24 with the 2.4L twin cam engine when I turned 16. I had it until just over 100k miles. Never had to take it in for service. Actually never did anything to it besides change the oil, coolant, plugs, etc.

Rob

hancadam
09-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I got a new '99 Z24 with the 2.4L twin cam engine when I turned 16. I had it until just over 100k miles. Never had to take it in for service. Actually never did anything to it besides change the oil, coolant, plugs, etc.

Rob

My buddy at work has this exact same care. He has 202k miles on it no issues except trans. He just had it replaced at 196k miles. I had a Sunfire GT with the same 2.4L and it was perfect until I sold it. It has 160k miles on it. The 2.4L are fun little engines, faster then you would expect.

rdlsz24
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah they are. 150hp and a light car. I had an automatic and it would squeal the tires from a stop like nothing. The Saturn I drive now can barely do that in the rain lol.

Rob

Yamada
09-03-2009, 08:28 PM
You guys never replaced a water pump (x2), front wheel bearings (3x), Spark plug wire ( they are not wire, they are some kind of hard pieces of rubber), Brakes every 20000k, shocks... and the list goes on. For the price they asked in 97 for these car you could have a much nicer Japanese car.

Custom200
09-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Theres a local guy called Johny Turbo that has his out to the drag strip alot. It l

ooks completly stock no crappy body kits. But it has a v6 van motor and turbo'd

plus lot of other goodies. He dynoed it at 520ish horsepower. Next time i'll out to

the dragway i'll try to get a video.