PDA

View Full Version : G.M multi swith

tanks350x
08-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra pick up. on my way home from work this past friday, I noticed that my directionals were acting weird. I checked the bulbs and everything was ok. So I talked to a friend that is a master tech at a local dealership. He told me that the switch is probably bad.. Apparently the turn signal switch controls the brake lights as well as the directionals. I went to 2 different parts stores. one gave a price of $225, and the other one told me $209. Just for craps and chuckles, I went to a local junk yard and get this, he told me $89 brand new!!:eek: :eek: I told him how could that be, when the other 2 stores were over $200? He told me that they had good supplyers. So it looks like I'm going to do alot more business with these guys:D One day to ship it as well. Now the fun part of putting it in:lol:

night4creeper
08-20-2009, 02:56 AM
They are not too bad to put in. More of a pain to get the covers off and the key switch out to get the covers off. If you are careful you can take the switch apart and clean the contacts. They tend to grow the nice green corrosion on the copper contacts and on a rare occasion short out the switch and blow bulbs and fuses!

racerxxx
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Check FleeBay, they're on there for $62 bucks with free shipping!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=1997+gmc+turn+signal+switch&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Also check Amazon.Com they sell automotive parts as well. usually anything over $25 bucks is free shipping with them, they were the cheapest place around for a wiper motor assembly for my 97 Yukon + I had it in 3 days for free shipping! The wiper motor was a Dorman product so I googled by the dorman number and found it on Amazon.

Dirtcrasher
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
^WOW!! What a price range difference...........

It honestly scares me : The dealer was probably 400$ but then he gets 2 parts stores around 200$ (which is usually the case) and another for half of that. Then RacerXXX finds yet ANOTHER one for another 20% of of the cheapo switch.

I wonder how the quality and reliability actually differ from one switch to another??

racerxxx
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I put a knock off in my Dodge Ram. Personally I think it was nicer than the OEM piece, much crisper, but then again with Over 200K on the clock everything is not quite as crisp. I'm sure all the "knock" off switches are coming from the same place, it would make too much sense for everyone to make a mold for the parts.

I usually go to Fleebay first and do a little leg work. The thing I like the most is researching where I can get what I need for the absoloute bottom price, then I'll go one step further and google for a coupon code, and just start stacking up the discounts. If you can get the MFG's number you can find anything online. You also have to be very patient, I'm usually never in a hurry unless i'm in the car:lol:

DC you like those prices check Kintore's A/C thread see what he was getting mugged for a new compressor and follw my link in my last post. I used one of the aftermarket pumps with great results.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=774339#post774339
A picture is worth a thousand words, many sellers use the same stock photo, zoom in to look at the tagging then when you find it cheaper compare the tagging if it the same someone is just trying to put a few extra in their pocket. Case in point, I bought a 2 post lift for my shop, 15 places have the same exact photo for the lift, guess what 15 different prices, who got my money, the guy who was will to go even lower on his price (I combined 3 lifts to one purchase). The best part when I got them, in the manual there was a 1-800 number listed but scribbled out, so I called it and it was one of the largest lift sellers in the US and well respected too. My 2 post was shipped to my door for just under $1,800 , and the most expensive was $4,200.:D

tanks350x
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Got the switch this morning, and I'll tell you what, it looks good to me! My bud tells me that he might be able to put it in without removing the wheel and air bag... We'll see I guess

night4creeper
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
yes you can put it in with the wheel and airbag still installed. it just makes it more tricky to get the column covers off.

vegas250rr
08-20-2009, 11:49 PM
yes you can put it in with the wheel and airbag still installed. it just makes it more tricky to get the column covers off.

carefull with the wires too... on jump of current and you and your friend might have some broken noses:eek: I have heard horror stories, and to be honest. I have never even thought about testing them... the bag comes out if I am in the colum:D

racerxxx
08-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Disconnect your battery cables, and stand outside the vehicle while you install, you can never be too safe!