PDA

View Full Version : American restaurant and waitress

Yamada
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
My cousin went to vacation in Hampton Beach. He told me that every restaurant they went in group ( they were at least 10 peoples), the waitress only made one bill for the group. One time they asked the waitress to wrote a bill for every person and she answered: «Are you trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro kidding me!» Usually around here the waitress ask how to split the bill after the dessert. Is that an american practice to do just 1 big bill? Even at McDonalds they had to tell they wanted to pay only for their meal.

Banage
08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Not around where I eat its not. Thats always the first question after, "hi, how is everyone today?"

Bunnyhop
08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
I wouldnt left a tip. Thats her job and her response was unproffesional. She could have just split up the bill at the cash register.

Dirtcrasher
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Sadly, when I was in relationships going out to eat got abused.

I'd get buffalo wings and beer, and the person next to me got Margheritas and swordfish. I paid that whole bill numerous times, then the other couple would pay another time. However, it would still work out that we only contributed 60$ to a 150$ bill, yet the other couple never had the brains to say "We'll throw in another 20$, you guys didn't eat much...." It started to PISS ME OFF!!

The next time I asked them to split it, the other couple looked at me like I was an A hole. WHATEVER............

But yes, plenty of waitresses don't "feel" like splitting up the bill which is actually dumb because each couple or individual may actually leave her a tip which ends up being a greater amount.

It's best to tell them from the very beginning to make life easier.

Believe me, I'm not cheap and I take good care of people I "like" but once that gets abused a few times, it stews with me and I explode which never turns out good :D :lol:

The Goat
08-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Anything over a party of 4 is usually considered ONE check.

Her method of telling you that may have been inappropriate, however it was likely stated in the menu.

BTW...doesn't matter what you decide to do at that point...she's already got her tip, gratuity is included on parties that large.

Try working in the service industry before you act an ass...I here SOOOO much crap everyday from people who seem to think that they are so much better than me. They are also then foolish enough to give me a credit card to pay for their room...which I max on an authorization on, and then instantly drop. Their bank takes ALL the money off their card and won't give it back until they call.

Since we don't have it, it's not our problem.... perfect revenge for a douchbag guest...the one right in front of me now is the perfect example.

4Q2
08-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Are you guys serious, I have never had a bill split up between people at a restaurant unless were sitting at the bar. If 2 people or 10 people sit at 1 table and eat dinner, its 1 bill.

How about every person eating throws in some money and covers the 1 bill between them. Sounds like a case of spoiled American, The waitress had to serve 10 guests eating at 1 table and they expected her to make 10 separate bills :crazy:

Yall know waitresses make lik $4 an hr ??

Oh and to answer the question,, No i have never had a waitress ask how to split the bill, EVER, sounds odd to me.

hublake
08-22-2009, 01:13 AM
I just got back recently from Sandpuppis Ride in Rose City and 10 of us went to breakfast, the waitress on her own as she was taking orders put each one on a sperate bill. I have had that happen many times. It seems to me that she could tell we were individuals even though we came as a group.

harryredtrike
08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
thats why i eat alone

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
If you go out to breakfast with 10 people and they aren't cheap, the waitress can do very well whether it's one bill or split up. They don't make much, and I've dated enough of them to know that. I don't think thats what this is about because I tip 20% as long as I'm taken care of. Forget my Xtra blue chz and let me run out of beer and you deserve 4$ an hour :lol:

You can only be taken advantage of so many times before you need to protect your own arse...............

Some people can only pay for what they ordered and take it into consideration when doing so.

fabiodriven
08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Are you guys serious, I have never had a bill split up between people at a restaurant unless were sitting at the bar. If 2 people or 10 people sit at 1 table and eat dinner, its 1 bill.

How about every person eating throws in some money and covers the 1 bill between them. Sounds like a case of spoiled American, The waitress had to serve 10 guests eating at 1 table and they expected her to make 10 separate bills :crazy:

Yall know waitresses make lik $4 an hr ??

Oh and to answer the question,, No i have never had a waitress ask how to split the bill, EVER, sounds odd to me.

I would have to agree. The only time I've ever seen a bill split 10 ways is when people specifically ask for it.

To add to what DC said in his first post, I have seen that more times than I can count. It pisses me off to no end. It seems to happen whenever the misses and I go out. I just gave up and forked over the dough.

And about the guy who started the thread- when you said that it happened "Even at McDonalds", that is absolute BS. You just step up to the register and order. They wouldn't put the next person on your bill unless you specifically asked.

BTW, Hampton Beach is THE BALLS!!!!! I thought for sure this thread was going to have something to do with all the Russian broads who work in all the shops and restaurants up there. They're all there on a work exchange program, and yes, they're hot.

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2009, 10:56 PM
^ Uhmm, did you say "RUSSIAN BROADS" :D

Can we go? Please? Please? :lol: YUMMIE YUM!!

I'll pay the WHOLE bill!!

Yamada
08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I would have to agree. The only time I've ever seen a bill split 10 ways is when people specifically ask for it.

To add to what DC said in his first post, I have seen that more times than I can count. It pisses me off to no end. It seems to happen whenever the misses and I go out. I just gave up and forked over the dough.

And about the guy who started the thread- when you said that it happened "Even at McDonalds", that is absolute BS. You just step up to the register and order. They wouldn't put the next person on your bill unless you specifically asked.

BTW, Hampton Beach is THE BALLS!!!!! I thought for sure this thread was going to have something to do with all the Russian broads who work in all the shops and restaurants up there. They're all there on a work exchange program, and yes, they're hot.

Maybe it was too obvious that the gang were just bunch of tourist and they say to them self: one bill and get out. I don't know. My cousin didn't tell me about the russian...

rdlsz24
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Around here they usually ask or we as a group would ask if they would split it up. We do it because few people in our group carry cash. I use my debit card for everything.

Rob