PDA

View Full Version : Smith Road Raceway, Labor Day weekend

thefox
08-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Is the Smith road race on Monday (labor day)? Any details?

I am hoping it will be early enough in the day where I could race and make it back home at a somewhat reasonable time since I would have to work the next day.

keister
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Fox,

Smith Road will be on Monday - the race is always on the holiday itself.
You will need to get in town the night before (hotel 10 minutes away for ~$60).
A whole caravan leaves for the track before 7am. Sign up shortly after 7:00 before the lines get long. Practice is at 8ish and racing starts around 10am - beginning with the mini bikes and mini quads.

There is no telling what heat the trikes will be. I have seen as early as 10th race and as late as 18th. Expect intermission around 1pm and racing to end around 4:00pm. I have been there several times and am mostly loaded and gone by 4:30 or maybe 5:30 at the latest.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it to work the next day - though you might be dragging a little, I can tell you it will be 100% worth it! Hope this helps.

thefox
08-21-2009, 10:34 PM
It is about a 6-1/2 hour trip so leaving by 5:30 puts me home by midnight, plenty doable. I have a friend who lives just south of Cleveland so I might just crash at his place the night before.

How is the track? I have never raced and have probably spent more time in the air on my old 110 then I have with the 350x so far. I just want to try at just because and I figure trike races could always use another place filler.

Daltons200x
08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
im trying my best to be there! ill be on a little 200x but im sure it will be fun nomatter what. i just hope i can get my bike ready to go in time

sandpuppi101
08-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Fox I'd say you'd love the experience if you have'nt done it before ,that goes for all you triker's as far as that goes.Somehow Labor day at Smith road has been growing more and more every year,and I give all the credit to the OTC for helping promote this race.I went last year and had the absolute time of my life racing against all my buddies and I'm sure this year's number's are gonna exceed whst last year's did.I drive from Michigan and although it's a bit of a drive ,I look forward to this year's race's again.Ask any of the OTC gang anything about the race and they'll be happy to shoot you all info,actually I believe they have another thread on the race's if I remember correctly..I'd like too see a list of who's in though..

As far as the track I think ATCTim had a video downloaded to youtube that you can check out the track but I think they change it up every race also.

ditchmud
08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I have got Helmet cam video from the Memorial day Race at Smith Road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdmtlx1GIA

If you search my other videos there is more from Smith Road.

Daltons200x
08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Does anyone know if smith road is a muddy track? like puddles and stuff or does it just get slick when it gets wet?

thefox
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I have got Helmet cam video from the Memorial day Race at Smith Road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEdmtlx1GIA

If you search my other videos there is more from Smith Road.

Thanks! That really helps, I think I can do that (although I have said that before lol).

I will get the wheel spacers ready.

Tri-Z 250
08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Dalton- To answer your question the soil is a tillable topsoil sand clay mix...It really needs to be a wet week for the track to puddle up. Muddy Yes, expect practice to be muddy...moto1 will be a tacky with chop tillage...moto2 the track dries out in the long straits and they select water and plow areas for ruts. Typically the 2nd moto is faster due to the back section of the track gets beat down and allows for greater speeds and more sliding. Your in there my friend with the 200X. There will be plenty of 200X's to compete with...some of the best bar to bar action I've seen. Heck over the weekend at Lighting a 200x went 1-1 for the overall just yesterday to rap up the OTC Jamboree! It was an impressive win....sure moto1 the #7 2hundy from PA over took the CRASHED leader on a 450R Conversion. Let me tell ya moto2 he gapped a double to pass 2 guys for the lead...Like I said impressive ride by this #7 fella from PA. man he was hall-in. Just try to make it with tunned up equipment...I hope to line up 1st time as well on a 200X. See ya:beer there

sandpuppi101
08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Dalton- To answer your question the soil is a tillable topsoil sand clay mix...It really needs to be a wet week for the track to puddle up. Muddy Yes, expect practice to be muddy...moto1 will be a tacky with chop tillage...moto2 the track dries out in the long straits and they select water and plow areas for ruts. Typically the 2nd moto is faster due to the back section of the track gets beat down and allows for greater speeds and more sliding. Your in there my friend with the 200X. There will be plenty of 200X's to compete with...some of the best bar to bar action I've seen. Heck over the weekend at Lighting a 200x went 1-1 for the overall just yesterday to rap up the OTC Jamboree! It was an impressive win....sure moto1 the #7 2hundy from PA over took the CRASHED leader on a 450R Conversion. Let me tell ya moto2 he gapped a double to pass 2 guys for the lead...Like I said impressive ride by this #7 fella from PA. man he was hall-in. Just try to make it with tunned up equipment...I hope to line up 1st time as well on a 200X. See ya:beer there

I gotta see and hear about that race,where's some pic's at guy's ?? And why is it in the seccond pic you took Daddio that Louis ,Sanke and Shelly are the only one's too be working on anything and it look's like the rest of 'em were wondering what was taking soo long??:lol: Sound's like it was a great time you guy's had,let's hear about it. Cool pic's too Daddio .

atctim
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Roger - that is too funny - if you could read lips - that is exactly what I was saying - "Come on guys - I don't have all day - what is taking so long?" - LOL!!!!!!

Tri-Z 250
08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I can't post pics but PM me atctim...I'll mail you the print of the 2nd moto start. It was the #117 Fly-n Brian nailing the frist corner by a C hair and Bill and you look like your front wheels on on each rear tire...the 2nd pic is the backside of turn 1 with you sliding it out to the left...I'd say the pics most likey turned out crappy like the weather for moto1. I had a few good ones, them 2 and maybe 2 more far away action ones.

Derrick Adams
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
To anyone who has not been to Smith Road... The track, while an MX track, is much more like a Cross Country course. There are no needs to worry about jumping, as there are only a few table tops that you really roll over more than jump. On my trike I might get a foot of air. There is a whoops section up front that all the trikes roll over as well.

The dirt is tacky and rutted, so don't figure on sliding around much. Very tight and technical riding is what it takes to be successful at Smith. That's why a 200X has no problems being competitive there.

Hope to see you all there!

thefox
08-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm hoping it is dry, my worn out all-tracks don't do so well when wet. They slide very well when dry but I have spun out a few times when sliding on wet dirt.

I'm assuming a set of wheel spacers is a good idea? I have a set of +3" (each side) but haven't used them on the 350x yet.

Daltons200x
08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
i cant wait to get out there!! lol..i only ride my 200x on tight trails so tight technical is my specaily on a trike. i do better on a bike in full mx and open areas

Daltons200x
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
hey, how do we go about getting a number for smith road? do we just make up our own?

Kintore
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Make up your own and try not to double one of these on this list-
3......Jason Hall
3......Tammy (Mrs. Mosh)
4...Dawn (Girlsride2)
8....Brandon Hall
19....Kintore
21....Russ
22....Rob (Moshman)
31....Ed (Tecate Z)
32....Bill (Black Sheep)