PDA

View Full Version : Cam corders, recording and VCR's.....

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I need some help with recording video to my VCR tape.

The deal is, I'm trying to figure out which animal is sick in my home. The Camcorder tape can only handle an hour of recording.

So, I want to record whatever the CC is viewing onto a super long play VCR tape or about 8hr's.

My VCR has "inputs" and I can watch the crap on my TV, but everytime I try to record, it just records whatever I'm watching on TV. If the TV is on 3 and I'm watching "Ice Road Truckers", thats what gets recorded.

I've looked thru the VCR menu hoping to find a way to change whether it records the cable (COAX) or the INPUT (My camcorder) and I don't see anything or how this is done.

Maybe it cannot be done, but I'm thinking there HAS to be a way to record what the camera is seeing and onto the VCR. There must be a way to change that setting??

I'll tell ya, they have made all this crap with far too many features, Verizon sent me a TV for signing up and it took me about an hour to finally get it working. No longer can you just plug things in and ENJOY, it's hours of reading and trying.

Thats why I like mechanical work, you can SEE what the issue is and not rely on a menu or a book written in 3 languages :lol:

Anyhow, thanks for any help.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to what I need to accomplish recording some video onto my VCR (inexpensively) I'd truly appreciate it.
I also have the X10 home surveillance but that lasted about 5 hours before the "wireless video/audio receiver" died on me so I have no faith in there product. If it had a plug, I'd just run it to my VCR and be done but unfortunately I have to use this receiver and it's dead.

Saul
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Like trying to 'internet troubleshoot' three wheeler problems a brief description of the VCR, name brand and actual 'type' of input's will really help.

Can you get a pic of the inputs? I'm guessing they are the yellow, white and read?

Have you accessed the VCR's menu and tried to 'switch' to A/V while in there?

Lot's of variables but it certainly can be done - list the name brand and I'll look around for a manual and try to help you set it up - should be simple enough.

As I gather it, you're trying to hook up your security camera to the VCR and record what the security cam see's while also be able to watch TV?

One more thing - does the security cam system have a SLP setting? Seems strange it can only record for 1 hour.

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2009, 10:49 PM
^ This is a brand new CANNON camcorder. And I couldn't care less which VCR (have a few anyhow) I hook it up to, but when I tried today it recorded the cable input. The menu on the VCR as well as the manual were useless :lol: I too believe that there must be a way to change "what" gets recorded. I looked at my upstairs VCR and the manual didn't help anymore. It honestly seems that there is no effort put into these manuals :rolleyes:

I don't need to watch TV on this, it will be used just for this purpose. I just want to record from my Cannon to my VCR on a SLP/8hr tape yet after thumbing thru the 3 different languages in the manual, nothing stands out as to how this is done......

tanks350x
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Simple Steve, you just need to plug in the RCA cables from one to the other. turn the cam corder on so the view finder is on, then turn the VCR on and make sure that it is on super long play or whatever the longest record time is. hit record and it should work, as long as both of them are running... I've seen it done

Thorpe
08-23-2009, 11:35 PM
WTF is a VCR and VHS???? jk, I am not that young... Got it on Beta?

Saul
08-23-2009, 11:37 PM
^ This is a brand new CANNON camcorder. And I couldn't care less which VCR (have a few anyhow) I hook it up to, but when I tried today it recorded the cable input. The menu on the VCR as well as the manual were useless :lol: I too believe that there must be a way to change "what" gets recorded. I looked at my upstairs VCR and the manual didn't help anymore. It honestly seems that there is no effort put into these manuals :rolleyes:

I don't need to watch TV on this, it will be used just for this purpose. I just want to record from my Cannon to my VCR on a SLP/8hr tape yet after thumbing thru the 3 different languages in the manual, nothing stands out as to how this is done......

Run your yellow/white/red wires from the 'output' on your camcorder into the 'input' of the VCR. Unplug the coax cable since you don't need/won't be using it anyways.

Try recording and see what happens (test the recording in another vcr all ready hooked up to a tv.

If you really wanna find out which animal is sick in your household - I suggest taking them to a vet before one of them gets worse.

If that's not an option, try separating them one at a time - say if you own 3 cats, try separating one from the other two - keep it an another area of your home behind a closed door for the day. Process of elimination.

Good luck with the sick animal. What type is it? :confused:

fabiodriven
08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
It's a cat, and taking them all to the vet isn't an option. There are quite a few of them.

MonroeMike
08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
If it recorded the cable, you need to get it switched to either AUX, A/V, or LINE.

If you can't find a option for it in the menu, it may be between the last and the first channel programmed. For example, when I press channel up on one of mine, it goes 98, 99, LINE, 02, 03.

code200k
08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
WTF is a VCR and VHS???? jk, I am not that young... Got it on Beta?

what about laser disk??:lol:

honda250sx
08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I have heard of crazy cat ladies...But crazy cat man???

Dirtcrasher
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
^ When the girls leave, they leave so fast that the animals can't catch the car :lol:

At one point I had fish, birds, turtles - friggen zoo, now it's just the cats :D

Oh they have been to the vet, over 1000$ in the last month, yes 1000$....

Cannot figure out which cat has the issue so I want to record the prick and beat him senseless.

I only have the one VCR and it's a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to unhook, I have front jacks and thats what I was using. I'll disconnect the cable in the basement and see what happens.

Saul
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh they have been to the vet, over 1000$ in the last month, yes 1000$....

Yeah - when our German Shepherd got sick a couple years back the bill was insane.

I only have the one VCR and it's a ...

wait, wait .. wait. Not to nitpick but, lol .. uh ... 14 hours ago you said ...

And I couldn't care less which VCR (have a few anyhow) I hook it up to

:wondering

So - which is it? One VCR or a few or do you own a VCR warehouse ... If we're gunna troubleshoot your problems and try to help you it's best to just type out what you really have.

Dirtcrasher
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
The "using" VCR I trust, the other ones are old and have not been used in ages...... They eat tapes and I'm lucky if I get a good recording at all.

Junk, just like everything else we buy unless it's HONDA.

Saul
08-24-2009, 04:15 PM
The "using" VCR I trust, the other ones are old and have not been used in ages...... They eat tapes and I'm lucky if I get a good recording at all.

Gotcha.

Junk, just like everything else we buy unless it's HONDA.

Hah! :beer

Have you tried hooking it up again?

Banage
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
umm, put them in a seperate room, perhaps one at a time?

Saul
08-24-2009, 04:58 PM
umm, put them in a seperate room, perhaps one at a time?

I suggested that too. :beer

Dirtcrasher
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
I agree, but I have an OPEN floor plan and essentially my only option is that they get stuffed into a bathroom for a few days if I have to go that route. This is a once a week issue so isolating them could take a month and just spook them.....

That in itself scares and upsets them for a few days after lockdown. I care about my property and I love my animals, I'm sure many people would say to get rid of them or who cares about upsetting them but thats not me.

I did get somewhere with the taping issue. My initial problem was "is this possible to do??" No where within that manual does it say "set up your camera for real time recordings onto a VCR" - That would be FAR to easy now wouldn't it??

So, after some time on the phone with CANNON, it is possible and is a VCR issue.

After ALLOT more time on hold with the VCR manufacturer, they told me I have to change the input settings via my remote which I do not have. Unplugging the COAX cable is apparently not enough for the VCR to figure out WHAT to record. They told me I could not do it without the remote :lol:

So, soon and or tomorrow the remote control search will begin and may result in a VCR destroyed by a backhoe :D Worse case scenario, I've seen some VCR's as cheap as 60$ recently and time is money so I may roll with that before I snap...............

Saul
08-24-2009, 08:47 PM
So, soon and or tomorrow the remote control search will begin and may result in a VCR destroyed by a backhoe :D Worse case scenario, I've seen some VCR's as cheap as 60$ recently and time is money so I may roll with that before I snap...............

I'd just grab the VCR - one can be had dirt cheap these days. Hit up ebay. Maybe even do a search on there for the remote you need.

I hadn't bothered to ask you about the remote even though I know/knew most every VCR's main settings are accessed by it's remote. I just figured you had it. Too bad.

Good luck. Keep us updated how it turns out and especially how the pet makes out.

4Q2
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey steve I know a nice farm I could take your cats to if you want to get rid of them. I got like 5 horse stables righgt near my house too they could live at.

BTW what model cannon is it ? and do you like it ?

I just bought a sony handycam 2 days ago from BB and Im returning it tomorrow cus the pic quality sucks. I figured for $400 bucks it would at least be decent.... NOT.
I was looking at a cannon there too,almost got it but picked the sony instead,, also i heard the JVC enerio was good.

code200k
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Dirtcrasher;775987]...........

After ALLOT more time on hold with the VCR manufacturer, they told me I have to change the input settings via my remote which I do not have.
buy a universal remote D.C. there only 10 bucks

racerxxx
08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
DC,

Go to Walmart, buy a VCR, Hook it up, figure out which cat it is. Get the cat fixed up, come home, box up the VCR, and return it to Walmart. You get your $60 back and you helped your cat. Thanks Walmart, you really do have my cats health in your best intrest!:D Just lend walmart you money, they'll give it back. Besure to ask the return policy,, tell them you want to make sure it "physically fits" in your entertainment center!!!!!

honda250sx
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
the brain deads at walmart will never know the difference.

Dirtcrasher
08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
^ Hey now.... There's a girl at Walmart with hoots as big as my head, I'm not looking for intelligent conversation :lol:

racerxxx
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Get a VCR and Motorboat!:naughty:

Bunnyhop
08-26-2009, 12:54 AM
^^^I second that^^^
Sounds like "two good reasons" to visit Walmart to me. ( . Y . )

super90
08-26-2009, 06:01 AM
If you have a cheap webcam you can record forever using your computer and a free recording software.

Thorpe
08-26-2009, 07:34 AM
You motorboating s.o.b.!

fabiodriven
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
After the motorboat you shoud go for a blumpkin.

Dirtcrasher
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
If you have a cheap webcam you can record forever using your computer and a free recording software.

I'm all ears to this one :D

I'd have to get an extension cable for the webcam (or another webcam at this point) it's easily 10 yo..............

How much memory gets sapped up recording I wonder??

Saul
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
How much memory gets sapped up recording I wonder??

actual ram memory or hard drive space? :confused:

Either way - your PC's ram will take a hit - you won't wanna be loading multiple tabs and programs while recording unless you have a high end PC.

Hard drive - depends on the quality you set the recording software too.

Banage
08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
or get a external memory something with xxx gig and just record over it each day.