PDA

View Full Version : This is why I do not like working in the dirt

LonesomeTriZ
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
The ground is really soft right now from recent rain. I am sure that was a contributing factor to my donor truck falling off the jack stands. That and not having the proper equipment to take on such a task. I was trying to get the truck jacked up far enough so I could pull the front end out.

LonesomeTriZ
08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
And yes, I was under it when I heard it start to slip.

longbedGTs
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Donor? That truck looks clean...why are ya robbing parts off it?
Yeah, I hear ya on the soft ground. Ive went through the same deal out here.

LonesomeTriZ
08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
That truck has a lot of issues, it is missing a lot of stuff.

LonesomeTriZ
08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Here we go again. I jacked up the driver side of the truck first because it was on the slop and the other bottle jack was buried underneath the front end. You can see the depression in the ground in the first photograph. The much needed bottle jack I unearthed was damaged. There is a break and a big dent in the side. When I sat it upright fluid began pouring out. Can I weld up the break in the house, replace the lost fluid, and use it again? Or is it now scrap? I really need that jack. Once I got the driver side stable enough to begin working on the passenger side I switched everything over. I was not trying to get it to work height just yet; I just wanted it out of the dirt so I can get the jack under it. Well, I started jacking up the other side when guess what. The son of a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro slid sideways off the jack and jack stand again. Luckily I was not under it this time nor was I on the side it fell to. But wait, there is more. I pulled out the crappy engine hoist my wife bought from a friend of hers that was PCS’ing while I was in Iraq. I was going to try and get it high enough to swing it over. I sold the good one I had because it was sitting and taking up room. Well damn, the cylinder will not build pressure and it is worthless.

200xman
08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Hook a deuce to that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and roll it over!!! Looks like a junkyard truck to start with so it's all good. Seriously though, if any of those deuces has a winch all you need to do is build an A frame for the front and you will have your own personal crane.

LonesomeTriZ
08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
If I had the room I would. Where the truck(s) are located is right on in a spot where I cannot get another vehicle. I am working on a plan that involves my tugger though.

wheelie king
08-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Sounds like me working on my BOAT TRAILER- it was not safe for the road and I had to get the boat off the trailer in the yard. Thankfully the ground is pretty level and not too slippery.

This is the end result. ;)

LonesomeTriZ
08-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I am glad to see you were not crushed. Nice boat.

wheelie king
08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
THanks. What you were trying sounds even more dangerous. That thing slipping and crushing you is no friggin joke, man. Be careful.

My conditions were nto perfect, but appear way better than where that donor truck is. Drag that sucker to a better spot??

LonesomeTriZ
08-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I think that is going ot be my best bet. Now the challenge is getting back up high enough to put the tires back one. I know it sounds simple, but that ground is not cooperating. Nursing a broken hand is not helping either.

LonesomeTriZ
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I was able to get the engine hoist to work by putting oil in it. However, the rubber stopper thingy that was supposed to keep it all in was torn and no good. So I threaded the hole and installed a brass plug, now it works fine. I could not get it to raise the truck very far but I was able to get the passenger side disk brake just barely out of the dirt. That hoist felt like it was about to give and any moment. Then, I hooked up my Tugger to the front of the donor truck and pull it sideways a little bit. The only problem was it was also pulling the truck forward. I figured that was going to be an issue. So, I hooked a deuce to the back of the donor truck and locked it in gear and engaged the parking brake. Then the donor truck pivoted like I wanted it to. It is now it is off that slope but still on soft ground.
The problem I have not is not having a tall enough or flat enough jack to get into the places I have to jack it at. I am sure I will figure something out. I am use to working with less than the bare minimum and without the proper equipment.

250rAL
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Got any 4X4's laying around? You'd be surprised how much you can do with a simple lever.

LonesomeTriZ
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I did find one yesterday I am thinking about putting to use.

leevarnado
09-03-2009, 12:18 AM
i would never get under anything thing without having it blocked up,those dam jacks will kill you

LonesomeTriZ
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I have been hearing a lot of stories about that lately.

brapp
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
what woudl that truck have in it for a tranny? and wanan sell soem aprts off it lol

and i cheat when i work on the trucks i had a jack slip once and damn near drop on my head when i wa sputtign leaf springs in the 03 white crew cab powerstroke. but i have devized a ne wplan too lol

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_936cb5bf0af323473b151e8fb04b08trailprotrailpro.j pg

litebulblsc
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Extend the legs and booms out on that engine hoist. Bring it around to the front and lift that sucker up and block it up with something solid.

For times like that, I am glad I have a chain hoist in the back yard

If you look closely you can see the chains at the back frame. That axle under it isn't mounted
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/litebulblsc/IMG_1083.jpg

LonesomeTriZ
09-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Hell yes I want to sell some parts off of it. But the tranny was out of it when I bought it. Let me know what all you want.

That is what I did. I removed a lot of wieght from it so the hoist could pick it up.

Here we go. It is still leaning but I shook the hell out of it and it did not fall. So I guess I can crawl around and remove the rest of the parts I need.

brapp
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
how much fro the rest of it frame, cab, and title?

LonesomeTriZ
09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I will cut you a fine deal. I will send you a PM with my phone number.

harryredtrike
09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
be careful out there.you make it home from the sandbox,dont take yourself out.

LonesomeTriZ
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I cannot beleive the luck I have had since I have been home. I think I was safer in Iraq.

SYKO
09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
louis whats the ETA on that other truck making it here?

LonesomeTriZ
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I do not know. The guy we were suppose to get it from has dropped off the face of the earth.

83ATC185S
09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
balljoint d60 correct?

What will you be using it on?

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I am installing it under my 95 F350 and converting it to four wheel drive.

brapp
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
sorry man for not gettign back to you abotu buying the truck pats of fya but it sjust not cost feasible to haul it allthe way up here when i can buy a identical truck for 1000-2500 localy and i only want a few parts.

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
i figured as mush. I am not angry. Pretty soon you will start to see that truck leaving my yard a paice at a time via ebay.