PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive, slave and master question...

Dirtcrasher
08-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I have some old hard drives that I want to extract pictures and emails off of.

The power cord plugs in as does the ribbon cable but don't I need to set jumpers etc etc??

It's an older DELL PC with a 100gig HD that will be the master.

I imagine if I do get it working I had better check it out with antivirus crap first......

Thanks for any help!

Billy Golightly
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
End of the ribbon cable is master. Set the jumper on that drive, to the master position. There should be a diagram on the bottom or back side of the drive with the pin location for the jumper. Middle connector on the ribbon is slave, and same as above, set the jumper to the slave position as the diagram on the hard disk shows. different brands have different ways of positioning their jumpers to do different stuff. Its not universal.

fabiodriven
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I didn't know you were into BSDM DC.

Dirtcrasher
08-28-2009, 01:45 PM
^ Is that something that involves leather and whips?? :lol:

I have a couple of emails I NEED to retrieve........

MonroeMike
08-28-2009, 02:21 PM
If they both have cable select options, you can put also put both jumpers on CS.

Put the master drive at the end of the ribbon cable, like Billy said.

Auto detect IDE must be on in the BIOS.

racerxxx
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
As BG said IF---IF you current "primary master" drive is set for cable select(jumper) then you will have to make sure that is the last drive on the cable. If not set for cable select, then you can just set your drive that your trying to get your info off of for a "slave" and plug it into any available connector that your HDD is plugged into. Now depending on which operating system your using , on reboot it may ask you to set up the "new" old drive. Good luck extracting all your old qorn pics:drool:

Dirtcrasher
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Back then I had teenie tiny hard drives and landline for a connection so unfortunately, no good stuff on the drive.

I'm thinking I have some pics from my 1st trike on there and the SX I bought in 1999 and some other stuff I'd love to relive.

If I get any sack I'll mess with it sometime today or this weekend.

"Auto detect IDE must be on in the BIOS" someone would have to teach me that one...........

techmaster330
08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
When you boot your computer up it will say BIOS settings or something like that and tell you a key or key combination to press and it will take you into the BIOS. While in the BIOS go to your drive configuration maybe? It's pretty self explanatory when you get into there. It might be a setting in the very first screen but the BIOS differs on all machines so I can't tell you for sure.

racerxxx
08-28-2009, 04:25 PM
to get into Bios is usually delete key on boot up, check your monitor @ the bottom on boot up.

SeaBass8
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Most Dells hit f2 to get into the setup at boot.

Steve give me a call anytime and I can help you there.