PDA

View Full Version : Badlands Aug 13-17

TimSr
08-01-2003, 10:49 AM
TimJr and I will be heading out to the Badlands 8/13 and riding 14-16, and leaving on the 17th. I havnet yet decided if I want to try the new campgrounds at the entrance, or go to Summer's Carroll again, and I was wondering if anyone had stayed at the new one, and how it compares. From reading the rules its sounds like you have to offload everything in a designated ATV parking area, and Im a little concerned about machines getting ripped off. I was also wondering how noisy and crowded it gets. At Summers Carroll we really enjoyed the peace and quiet at the end of the day, the spread out primitive camp area that was not very crowded at all.

YTZ250#1
08-01-2003, 09:15 PM
I was thinking Hatfield Mcoy some time this month,But Badlands sounds
good.If you don't mind me riding my 4x4 cart(my Z still ain't done) then
I might go.I would need some diretions on how to get there,let me know
if you want cart company. Steve

Howdy
08-01-2003, 09:40 PM
I was thinking Hatfield Mcoy some time this month,But Badlands sounds
good.If you don't mind me riding my 4x4 cart(my Z still ain't done) then
I might go.I would need some diretions on how to get there,let me know
if you want cart company. Steve

It's for everyone. Getting together to ride what ever is what makes it fun!! I am seeing about making plans to be there myself.
Howdy

YTZ250#1
08-01-2003, 10:21 PM
It sounded sweet,but my wife just reminded me of the family reunion
that weekend. :evil: maybe next time.

TimSr
08-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Yes, anyone is welcome to come and join us! Tell your wife that she is free to go to the reunion, but I dont want to be responsible for the beating you receive!

Bill X_R
08-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Tim,

I'm not sure about the rules?, but I know what I saw all three times I've been there trailprotrailpro the gates opened. Everyone camping had there ATV's parked where they were camping. In the mornings you can ride on the left side of the road and bypass the office (the long line too) and go right to the guy checking wristbands. The camp area is in a BIG field with people camping in rows. Looked to be pretty convenient to me.

yamaha225dx
08-03-2003, 06:30 PM
where are the badlands at? I know where the ones are in SD but not over this way.

TimSr
08-03-2003, 09:16 PM
This is in Attica, IN.

www.badlandsoffroad.com

TimSr
08-10-2003, 08:59 AM
We are all set, and hopefully ready to head out Wednesay morning. We shoudl arrive early Wed. evening. We will be camping in the primitive area at Summers Carroll campground, and intend 3 full days of riding (Thur-Sat) and will depart for home Sunday morning. Looks like we will be taking the Z, the ALT125, The Raptor80, and the E-Ton. Anyone is welcome to join us at the campground or meet up with us at the Badlands.

yamaha200E
08-10-2003, 12:31 PM
guys im really working overtime on the ytm so i can go. but it dont look so good. i still waiting on parts for it to come in. and ill have to be there the 14th and leave. i whant to climb devils backbone bad. so if anyof u guys can tell me what ill need to get in thaty would help.
thanx kyle

als250
08-10-2003, 05:08 PM
guys im really working overtime on the ytm so i can go. but it dont look so good. i still waiting on parts for it to come in. and ill have to be there the 14th and leave. i whant to climb devils backbone bad. so if anyof u guys can tell me what ill need to get in thaty would help.
thanx kyle

Kyle, "DEVIL'S BACKBONE" is in Haspin Acres(home of original TrikeFests)in Laurel, In.Not at Badlands-Attica, In. Badlands is excellent place to ride,so you should check it out anyway. All you need is helmet,flag,ability to sign waiver and $15.00(and coolers w/o alcohol in them,they check them everytime we go in the gate).Haspin Acres though....hmmm....the rules are.....oh yeah, there aren't any. Ride,camp,drink anytime,anywhere and everywhere.

Al

TimSr
08-12-2003, 01:25 AM
Hey yamaha200e, Even if theres no Devil' Backbone, Im sure we can find some hills to accomodate you, if you can make it! They got some doozies on the back rim.

TimSr
08-13-2003, 01:40 AM
Im outta here for a few days. Trailer is loaded, and we are leaving in the morning!

yamaha200E
08-13-2003, 12:43 PM
well guys ill still try to make it and to tfo4 but i still havent got the parts if i get the choke ill come wit out the bearing in but i dont know when ill try guys.
and i am gonna climb devils backbone one day. till then im climbing the biggest baddest hill there if i can make it.

kyle

Howdy
08-13-2003, 03:01 PM
well guys ill still try to make it and to tfo4 but i still havent got the parts if i get the choke ill come wit out the bearing in but i dont know when ill try guys.
and i am gonna climb devils backbone one day. till then im climbing the biggest baddest hill there if i can make it.

kyle

What parts are you waiting for?
Howdy

yamaha200E
08-14-2003, 12:14 PM
a bering press a choke and brak cables and callipers. but if the choke comes in ill just ride it for a while w/o bearing adn down shift for brakes.
kyle

jeswinehart
08-17-2003, 09:53 PM
okay guy's,,, how was it ???

thinking of ya-all just south of me + the mrs. lowlands woods muddy as all get out ???

mrs. + i are heading to huron lk. area north of the thumb for 5 day camp/ride/drink/dive ( in no certan order - lol ),,, next saturday morn. unchartered area for the most part. ( for us anyway)
so how was badlands ???

john

Bill X_R
08-18-2003, 06:51 AM

john

Ditto!...If I didn’t have more pressing issues! I defiantly would have been there!

Howdy
08-18-2003, 10:10 AM
thinking of ya-all just south of me + the mrs. lowlands woods muddy as all get out ???
mrs. + i are heading to huron lk. area north of the thumb for 5 day camp/ride/drink/dive ( in no certan order - lol ),,, next saturday morn. unchartered area for the most part. ( for us anyway)
so how was badlands ???
john

It was a good time. Anthony and me got right in when they opened the gate. We searched and searched and searched for a couple hours ( we searched only when we were trying to cool off ). But didn't see TimSr or TimJr. We gave up the search for the most part. It was so hot out that Anthony was getting over heated ( so was the 350x ). We would ride for about 20-30 minutes and then rest for 10-15 minutes. The 350x was getting really hot. So hot you couldn't hold your hand on the gas tank. IT WAS HOT!!!

About 2:30 ( Ohio Time ) we was out riding and the 350x really started acting up. After a minute or 2 it died and wouldn't restart. We were in the middle of No where, and no one but us were in that area ( way out in the back behind the sand dunes ). I was like Flack!!!!!!! The little atc70 was running like a top though. So I hooked up the tow rope and Anthony started to pull me. It was quite the sight. lol

Anthony sorta remembered the way back only asking which way to turn 2-3 times. Finally after about 10-15 minutes of being pulled we got to the one main route ( up front where it forks off back to the creek to the bridge ). Only then did we see other people. We stopped to let them go by. But the one guy stopped and was going to pull me back. At this point I had decided that if the 70 can pull me up and down the hills with just a little of problem, then it could pull me the rest of the way back. I thanked the guy anyway and he was off. Once the 70 got on the black top it just wanted to go. Once really moving I put it in gear and it started after about 50 ft. I disconnected the rode and it died about 10ft later. errrrrrr

So we hooked it back up and was towing it again. He had pulled me to the middle of the lower parking and I got it fired up again. I never let off the throttle. I quickly headed back to the truck. It was running worse than ever. Once we got back Anthony and me decided that since only his was running good we would pack it up and head home. I really didn't feel like riding the spare atc70 I brought. lol

I no more than started packing things when a guy and his kid rolled up to the truck. One Yellow Triz and one Raptor 80 quad. I couldn't believe it. It was Tim Sr & Jr. They had parked at the bottom of the hill right behind me. Tim Jr just happened to see 2 3 wheelers go by ( at a distance ). Tim Sr told him they would ride up and check it out. IT was Anthony pulling me that Tim Jr seen. lol :oops: :oops: :oops:

I grabbed some Ice out of the cooler and iced down my gas tank on the x. After about 20 minutes or so we decided to go ride some more. This time down in the creek where it was cooler. We stopped down at Tim Sr's camp and Anthony wanted to ride the Raptor 80 ( I think TimSr or Jr ask him, lol ). That little guy was able to reach everything so I said OK. Off we went to the creek. How ever the 350x wasn't so willing. It puked again. The only thing I thought to do, was to change the spark plug. It worked and away we went. Anthony rode the 80 pretty good for the first time on a quad by himself. We went down and through the tunnel and into the water. Anthony was in heaven then. He was flying down the creek. We went all the way we could and then TimSr and me parked and let the kids have fun riding and playing in the water. I wanted to park to let the 350x cool off. How ever just riding down the creek cooled it down to where you could lay your hand on the head. I was shocked!!!

After a while we decided to head back up to the dune. Anthony made it all the way back to the tunnels without much trouble. Tim Jr was already out. no suprize there. He is a nut!! I went up the hill and parked. Anthony started up and almost made it when the front tire hit a smaller rock and veered off to the right. The quad when up the side, threw Anthony off and landed right on him. I never have ran that fast before. I grabbed the 80 and lifted it off of him. I told him to get out from under it. Once he was out I set the quad on all 4's and grabbed Anthony. I took him over and set him on my x and check him out quickly.

He had blood on his left hand and it looked bad at first sight. How ever after cleaning it up a little it was just a small cut and mild rash. I was still about flipping out ( Anyone with kids will understand ). Tim Sr had a better grip on the situation, so I went over and got the quad up the rest of the way ( about 6 feet ). I was able to attend to Anthony better after that. The panic was worn off. Anthony ended up with a minor cut between his fingers & a mild rash size of a nickle on the back of his hand.
Mild rash on his left elbow and on his side of his belly. Both spots about the size of a quarter. I Thank God Anthony fell into the washed out part of the hill. I did notice a nice little dink in his helmet also. That helmet probably saved him from a serious Head injury. Anthony had said he was ready to head home.

After about 10-15 minutes we was able to get Anthony to get back on the 80. We need this to at least get it back to camp. He started off riding slowly but after 300ft he had enough putting around and hammered it. Time we got back to camp to get a bandaid he was ready to go riding. So we rode around a little in the dudes by the office until it was time to head home. We all loaded up and Took the Kids to Mcy D's. They had a ball. Anthony staid awake until we reached the City limits and slept the whole way home. lol When we got home he ask when we were heading back to the Badlands.

All in all even with the accident, my x having problems, the VERY hot weather I wouldn't change a thing ( well maybe the accident. ;) ). I think I can safely say we all had a ball!!!

Here are some pictures. The first 5 are the woods that are still flooded. You can really see it ( the Blue is Water ) in some pictures but not the others. You can see where the water was almost onto the railroad tracks.

http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P01.jpg
http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P02.jpg
http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P03.jpg
http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P04.jpg
http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P05.jpg

More pictures can be seen by changing the last number ( P01 thru P34 ). There are 34 in all. I wanted to post the directory but they don't allow access to directory's any more.
http://phatvsalvage.hypermart.net/BL8x16x03/P06.jpg

Sorry for the BOOK. You should have waited for the Movie. lmao
Howdy

TimSr
08-18-2003, 02:20 PM
TimJr and I had a great time, as always, and glad we ran into Howdy on Saturday!
I started out Thursday riding the ALT125, which ran great, climbed about anything, but beat me half to death until I switched to the Z. TimJr's E-Ton killed any incline he attacked, and he also found his Raptor did quite well, though not quite as well as the 2 stroke. He also quickly became addicted to the ALT125 for dunes and water, though he wasnt very crazy about it for woods trails. Turns out its VERY waterproof, and with his 80 lbs, easily took any hill he aimed it at.
Only problem was the camcorder decided to crap out on the first day, so I didnt get much video.
We look forward to doing it again next year!