PDA

View Full Version : 200x build

peg-daddy
09-12-2009, 01:58 AM
im building a 200x / 400ex had the 200x for years but it tired so i got a complete 400ex for 500.oo i need some advise on reto fitting on the tike any help would be great thanks

lndy650
09-12-2009, 11:58 PM
sounds like a lot of work....probly have to stretch the frame

peg-daddy
09-13-2009, 09:45 PM
thinking of using the rear portion of the 400ex frame and the front of the 200x frame

Tri-Z 250
09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Ok frist advise...search similar builds. Do not limit yourself to 200X forks. I would go invert if I going to all that effort...at a min I'd go 250R front end. I get that you have the parts but end result....you'll be sorry and possible disapointed. Not that the X isn't a good platform: consider the 400ex in a 350x frame/roller. You have options...Part out the quad to the nines...count your cash go get a 350x roller and then you'll have your old trusty to restore. My opinion is the 400ex motor will out perform the platform 200x. I would think the 400ex to 350X might be a better avenue. JMO

peg-daddy
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
i was actually gonna restore the 200x and i found several parts like a tank thats in mint cond. as well as set of forks that look unused so i hate the thought of wasted money, tell me more on inverting and the differences of 200x and 350x forks -thanks for all the advise

factoryX
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
200x and the 350x have are trail bikes so the shocks are a bit softer, the 250r is a race bike right out the factory door. so its shocks are a lot stiffer for jumping. I'd use the 250r forks for the 400ex setup but you might also want to replace the 400ex stock swinger there junk and like to break.

peg-daddy
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
ok what if i did go with a inverted front end and so what would i need to do the build what would be the donor. or what do you think about getting a dirt bike yoke of course the front end and fabing my own front frame for the 400ex in turn making it a 3W and not hacking on the 200x at all, in addition all i would need is donor dirt bike 3W front hub and axle right ? if so does any one know what to look for ? thanks you all are a great help I just want to build something that noone in my small town could actually build and look awesome at the same time.

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I would do what allot of others have done.

Get your geometry and suspension as best as you can. Get it rolling on a cheap set of adequate front forks (85/86 250R) and worry about inverts later.

These builds are not easy. Anyone with a sawzall and ANY welder can get it done but it's the small and seemingly insignificant things that make a plain build an extraordinary build. Take your time, take lots of measurements, test fit everything and ask other members that have done these builds for advice.

Then down the road you can add inverts. Remember that inverts will need custom caliper brackets, a hub that works or a custom hub, custom spacers and brake lines and other small parts that will have you scratching your head.

DETAILS, it's all about the details and how well you plan before any finish is applied. No use having a pretty machine if it doesn't steer or handle!!

Your on the right path, take pics, ask questions and KEEP POSTING!! :beer