PDA

View Full Version : No ATC's in WI?

RudeDog666
09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Can somebody show me the law?
I've been told we cannot ride 3 wheelers on Wisconsin trails because of the death factor but right in the DNR ATV manual it says if it's got 3 or more wheels you're good to go. I'm O.K. with not being allowed on the trails but why is the DNR contradicting themselves?

This is taken directly from the Wisconsin law book located here => http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/DOCS/ATVRegs.pdf

What’s Considered an All-Terrain Vehicle?
According to Wisconsin Law an ATV must meet all the following specifications;
◆ an engine-driven device
◆ net weight of 900 pounds or less
◆ width of 48 inches or less
◆ has a seat designed to be straddled
◆ travels on 3 or more low-pressure tires
◆ minimum tire width of 6 inches
◆ rim maximum diameter of 12 inches
What is not an All-Terrain Vehicle?
The following are NOT ATVs and cannot be operated on ATV trails or
ATV Routes;
◆ utility-type, side by side vehicles
◆ 6-8 wheel amphibious vehicles
◆ golf carts
◆ go carts
◆ off-road motorcycles
◆ anything outside the ATV specifications listed above

rdlsz24
09-16-2009, 11:12 PM
I've seen many trikes with WI dnr stickers and even bought some with the sticker on the tank. I am almost positive they are allowed on the trails.

Rob

Bunnyhop
09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
The next redneck retard that tells you that, pull out the little book and ask him to show you where it says that! 3 wheeled ATVS are legal on ATV specific trails in every state.

RudeDog666
09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to get these things registered and I'll pick up a book while I'm at it.

Banage
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I hear this all the time about MN. The only thing I say is I've never seen in it print so if you happen to see it, send me a copy. But we have no atv trails around here anyway so I just stick to ice and out of city limit riding

pipeline triker
09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
They will give you a book anyway's. Up here in northren oconto county there are a # of trikes on the trails, mine included. Some people will stop and watch you ride so they can talk to you, and every one remebers getting hurt on one as a kid. The other thing every one always ask's is ... IS IT FAST... and you just say, yes.

harryredtrike
09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
you can ride on the trails

killerklown
09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I know there are some ATV Park/Riding areas here in WI that 3 wheelers are not allowed, as well as allot of races of course. Some parks even bar 2 strokes as well. I assume they are privately owned, not positive though.

RudeDog666
09-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks. Looks like we'll be having more fun on the trikes than I thought. :cool: