PDA

View Full Version : Trike video help thread! Advice, how-to's and tech help

Dammit!
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought I'd get a thread started for people that are putting together trike videos. Especially with how cheap you can get a nice helmet cam these days. I've figured out a few things the hard way but still have a ton to learn. I'll start things out and if anyone has anything to add, please do. Also, if you have questions, this is the place so bookmark this thread.

Everything I've done so far has been with Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker which is included with Windows XP and probably Vista as well. I'd like to use Adobe Premiere but I figured I'd better learn to walk before I try to run.

I bought a GoPro Hero WIDE helmet cam on ebay brand new for under $140 shipped about 2 months ago. I had issues editing the footage. Every app I tried caused degraded picture quality and sound problems. I contacted GoPro and they sent me a link to a file containing a profile for Windows Movie Maker that not only fixed the problems I had with the sound but also IMPROVED the image quality a little bit from the raw files. The only thing I didn't like was it retained the standard 512x384 resolution. Uploading a vid to youtube at that resolution won't give viewers the option to view in High Quality mode so I opened up the file and made a few changes. Here's a link to a zip file with both profiles included.

Click here to download. (http://www.triketrash.com/files/moviemaker.zip)

Unzip the contents of that file into C:\program files\movie maker\shared\profiles (if the "profiles" folder isn't there, create one).

Now, when SAVING your vid in Windows Movie Maker, one of the final steps in saving the new file gives you the option to select "Other Settings". In the drop down menu, you'll see "GoPro 640x480 by Dammit!" Use that setting to save with the improved image quality of the other file along with the higher resolution of 640x480 which activates the HQ option on youtube.

That's it! You now have the ability to edit your GoPro videos with improved image quality, higher resolution and no sound sync problems!

Dammit!
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Tip regarding music soundtracks.

Youtube loves to delete people's audio track if you use music without using their audio swap tool. Why the hell some BLATANT postings of copyrighted music tracks stay even after over a millions views get to stay up while others that use a background track get deleted after 170 views, I have no idea.

Youtube will do whatever it pleases, obviously, but in order to avoid attracting attention, right click on your music files before adding them in movie maker and make the following changes. Rename the file first and foremost, then click on the summary tab and delete all information in that tab. I didn't do this on my first vids and couldn't figure out how the hell all the related videos were popping up. This is why. My audio on those vids will probably get turned off at some point because I didn't figure this out sooner.

Dammit!
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
On the subject of audio and youtube, I have a question of my own.

I've noticed some people have music embedded in their videos but the little iTunes link still pops up at the bottom of their video. They clearly did not use the swap tool because their video sound is mixed in with the music. I have no idea how this is done and would really like to figure it out as it might be a way to completely avoid the problems with the copyright nazis. Anybody know how to do it?

ditchmud
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Man you made some nice videos:beer I was proud of mine untill I saw yours. I am not very computer friendly and don't really understand how to use the suggestions that you have made.

RoscoW
09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
excellent topic Dammit , I also have picked up the Go-pro wide and have started playing with some editing stuff. I ran into the you-tube audio cops on one of my first tries and ended up picking something from their selections, Didn't work for me.
I used the free trial version of the AVS4You and it works a lot like the WMM but with some more options added, Not enough to buy it though.
i haven't had the time to get into thing to figure it out but am looking forward to some more tips from this thread to help me

Thanks

Ross..

Dammit!
09-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks to Vegas250r for pointing out that there's a new firmware update available for the GoPro Hero WIDE helmet cam that allows the use of a 4GB SD card. This will allow just a little under 2 hours of recording time on a single card.

http://www.goprocamera.com/fwupgrade.html

Man you made some nice videos:beer I was proud of mine untill I saw yours. I am not very computer friendly and don't really understand how to use the suggestions that you have made.

I'll try to simplify it a little bit and add some screenshots. I will add some screenshots of how to do a few of the editing techniques I've been using as well.

I want to see some more kick arse trike vids so I'm gonna try and help you guys out as much as I can. I figure once a few more people join in, we'll all be able to make some pretty sick vids.

Mikeproc
09-18-2009, 11:38 PM
my gf uses adobe and it pretty amazing what you can do with it. I am not into this stuff and it blows my mind when I see what people are doing with computer programs