PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about the 72 Mustang mach 1’s?

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a chance to get a 72 Mach 1 that looks as though it is in decent shape. It looks like something well within my skill level, but I know very little about these cars. I would like a better idea of the cost and availability of parts. Can any of you point me in a direction that will help me with this decision?

harryredtrike
09-20-2009, 11:52 AM
if the price is right and its in good shape,i say get it.these are worth a pretty penny when done.im not a ford guy but that is the coolest car to me.

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 12:05 PM
See that is the thing that gets me. It can be worth a lot more then what he wants form me. or, it could go in the other direction and cost way too much for us to do anything with. I have thirty somehting photographs, but this gives you an idea.

MonroeMike
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Check the threads over at MustangForums. They have a classfied section also, so you can see how much Mach parts are going for.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-16/

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks man, that will get me started. I could not find very much on forums that deal with these particular cars.

Banage
09-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DixiePlowboy
09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Sweet Mach!!

The big Mach 1's have always been my favorite, though I've yet to own one. I aim to snag a '72 one day....thought it would be cool since that's the year I was born also.

Greiver430x
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Sadly my Uncle ended up with Grandpa's near mint '73 mach. All it needed was the seats redone, and it only has 53000 miles on it. The son of a ***** parked under a pine tree in his yard and now it has cancer real bad. If I were youd I'd go for it.

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I am really considering it. But there are some areas that concern me. First off, it has a sun roof that I know is not stock. And, it has new aftermarket floor pans but they are revited in.

SWIGIN
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
you sure thats a mach?

my parents had a 72 mach1 and im not seeing any mach only things on that car.

few things are urathaine body color front bumper, body color front fender exstentions, strips, wing, front spoiler ..ect

i have seen machs with no wing but those are rare.

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
That is something I am trying to varify.

Here are some of the trouble spots I am worried about.

85 250sx
09-20-2009, 09:04 PM
i have one. mine has a two inch lift in the back i think it makes it look 10x better. aftermarket companys make pretty much any part you want for these i use cjponyparts.com for alot of my stuff. yeah you might wana check the numbers cause ford also made the mustang sports roof same body as the mach just not with all the things swigin pointed out and there not worth as much. does it have the 351C?

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 09:10 PM
It has a 302 with an automatic.

LonesomeTriZ
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I just checked out cjponyparts.com and damn that stuff is cheap. But in a good way. How can I decode the VIN to find out the real story on the car? plus, how do I find the value? I want to know if the car is worth what I will be putting into it if I get it.

Xfile
09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Check out the area where the leaf spring shackles bolt to the frame and also upper rear shock mounts...a common place for severe cancer.

racerxxx
09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I just checked out cjponyparts.com and damn that stuff is cheap. But in a good way. How can I decode the VIN to find out the real story on the car? plus, how do I find the value? I want to know if the car is worth what I will be putting into it if I get it.

CJ's is a good place not too far from me, you can become a "member" and I think every friday you save 5% on parts or something like that.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/

Value is tough, you have to look at the options it has what engine is in it and what was supposed to be in it, 4 speed or auto, a/c etc. etc. Does it have all the correct original equipment.

You can check NADA, kbb.com, classiccarvalues.org.

It's a tough call, unless you can get it for real cheap, it's very difficult to get back out of it what you have into it.

My father has a 73 (sitting outside) that he had to have and I do love that body style, but the more sought after are the 64-70 mustangs. I have a 67 Fastback 2+2 that is next in line for a resto.

Definitely check the underside, front shock towers, look under the dash up towards the firewall/cowl area, as someone mentioned before the rear shock mounts (we looked at one that both the rear shocks punched thru the floor and the car was not badly rotted), Check the lower frame rails on the front of the car back to where the trans mount is another area for rot. Also check the VIN number and the VIN numbers on the shock towers they should match( I think they were there as well, I know they are on the 70 and down mustangs), If they don't match the car was probably hit bad before and someone replaced the shocktower, frame rail etc. Look her over with a fine tooth comb, get all the data plate info etc. you can check all that stuff online just google for it. Take pics of the interior so you can tell if the gut has been changed, the colors should match on the data plate info.

Good luck, your head will be spinning in no time.

Racerxxx

lndy650
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
if its an r code with the original engine its worth $$$$$$$$$$$

undeadanger
09-20-2009, 11:21 PM
i have a 71 and a 72 ... if you can get it at the right price i would say grab it ,.,, you would not belive what people have offered to buy mine for ,, its the 351 with ram air ,,,

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Racer, that was very informative. The car is in NC but my wife has a cousin out there that is very good with cars. We are going to have him look at it for us.

The seller wants to trade for a deuce I have up for sale. I have it advertised for $3500 (even though it is worth more) so if I get the car I am getting for $3500.

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/1369193879.html

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks man. That is very sound advice. I was planning on keeping the car for a little while and enjoy it. But I do want to get my money back out of it when I sell it.

edog
09-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a chance to get a 72 Mach 1 that looks as though it is in decent shape. It looks like something well within my skill level, but I know very little about these cars. I would like a better idea of the cost and availability of parts. Can any of you point me in a direction that will help me with this decision?

Pics would help greatly.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I posted four of them.

edog
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I posted four of them.

Sorry, missed it. My comp is running slow. The scrolling is delayed.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I posted the problem areas that has me on the fence with this deal.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2009, 10:14 PM
There are more photographs in thread I stated a week ago when it arrived.

Thorpe
09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
These cars are not too bad to put back together... Assuming you dont get a MN one! Back when I was employed, the shop I worked for, we made some super tough subframe connectors for these Mustangs... The best 150 aftermarket bucks you can spend on one of these. Whether its a stocker or built up, it makes it so much nicer of a car to drive... Takes alot of the twist out that you didnt know was there until you install them and get rid of it...

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=60/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat60.htm

LonesomeTriZ
09-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Man you hit the nail on the head there. That is the firt thing I would do.

MonroeMike
09-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I had a '66 Mustang and put on subframe connectors. They made a big difference.

LonesomeTriZ
09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree. That is a must.