PDA

View Full Version : ice racing question

sbjones73
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
well this year i might try and do some ice racing. but it seems like there is no studded classes for 3 wheelers in my area.

so my question is this. what tires to run for rubber class. right now i have turf tamers on. will these do for my 84 250r? or is there something alot better

thanks

brapp
09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
see if you can run studded in a quad ckass the rikes will run circles around a quad on ice.

sbjones73
09-28-2009, 01:28 AM
yeah i have got an email into swira (southern wisconsin ice racing) lets see what they say. thanks

88 Turbo Coupe
09-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Get the "Rule Book".

pipeline triker
10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
I do not know for sure where you are but 2 miles north of me in Feb. they have ice races on chute pond. Lots of trikes. if they are normal or mildly built you just run with the 4 wheelers. in the finals it always comes down to atc 250r's. I was thinking of maybe racing my 250r this year but the ice drags are always the same week end as a vintage snowmobile show that I have been a part of since 95.

Bigbore
10-14-2009, 12:13 AM
In Colorado they won't let the 3 wheelers run studs either. They know that if they did the 3 wheeler would turn faster lap times. We have to run bare tire. I run Hoosier Tri-Trac's 18x11x10 (soft compound) in the rear and a quad front 18.5x5x10 in the front. I bought a tire siping tool and siped the tires. They hook up really good!

At the end of the season they run a 20 grudge match race, 3 and 4 wheelers together, all of us are running bare tire. The 3 wheelers smoke the 4 wheelers.

Bryan Raffa
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I honestly think 3 wheelers are faster on the ice....

ChrisD
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Especially Hondas

Bryan Raffa
10-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Especially Hondas

oh stop....:lol:

sbjones73
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
ok for non studded class. i have been told that turf tamers make good tires for rubber class. is this true? or should i look for somthing else?

Bryan Raffa
12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
ya turf tamers are good for non studded..

sbjones73
12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
thanks, i see alot of the quads are running hooseir flat track style tires on the rear. and since they are putting me with the pro quad rubber class as of right now, i don't want to get my pants blown off.

this will be my first year racing and they are going to put me in the pro class. man not sure about this yet!!!!!!!!!!!

sbjones73
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
any body got any pics of tires they would suggest for running oval and possible tt track. i will be in the rubber class, so no studs.

any pics of tires would be great. get me some ideas. i have 8" rims, so please keep that in mind.

again thanks

sbjones73
12-14-2009, 11:03 PM
my tamer are like new. or should i cut them down a bit. any suggestion of that raffa?

sorry for the questions, but the first race is in like 3 weeks, and i have got a lot of things to do till then. lower the trike a bit etc.

thanks for everything guys!!!!!!!!!!!

brapp
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
find a se tof hoosers in the softest compound you can gte your hand son.

Bryan Raffa
12-24-2009, 10:41 AM
them turf tamers should be good ,,the studded class should tare up the ice ..and I think you will get a better grab with all the knobs, go race and have fun..talk to some people,, maybe someone will have a old set of soft tires for cheep. you get it lowerd yet? , you got off set rims?,suspension set soft?

cavemanbob21
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I race a 86 350x with turf tamers i tried the hoosiers they dont work as good. i cut the turf tamers once horizontally througth the middle of every lug with a tire groover. then four times vertically with a grinder on each lug. Then i spray wd-40 on the tires 2 days before i race and wrap them in plastic wrap to soften them up. I pull the holeshot everytime.

sbjones73
12-30-2009, 03:28 AM
cavemanbob, you got a pic of your tires, please.

i might just run them as is, but i do have another set of tamers also. we shall see

sbjones73
12-30-2009, 03:42 AM
bryan, yeah, suspension is done. i dropped the rear as much as i can by spinning the shock nuts. this made is so when i sit on it i have about 4-5" between the fender and the top of the rear tire. the front i just pulled the forks up in the triples by 2"

i wish i could find a lowering link for the rear of my 84, but so far no good. and don't have time to try and make my own.

cavemanbob21
12-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I will take some pics this weekend and post them. Have u considered shortening a swingarm for it ?

badasskfx
12-30-2009, 07:01 PM
bryan, yeah, suspension is done. i dropped the rear as much as i can by spinning the shock nuts. this made is so when i sit on it i have about 4-5" between the fender and the top of the rear tire. the front i just pulled the forks up in the triples by 2"

i wish i could find a lowering link for the rear of my 84, but so far no good. and don't have time to try and make my own.
can you reverse the link? i think thats how they lower the dr 650?

sbjones73
12-30-2009, 08:07 PM
since i won't be racing on sunday, my tether kill switch won't be here (thanks rocky mountain atv, and ups) i will look into the link.

thanks

cavemanbob21
01-01-2010, 08:00 PM
You can reverse the link on a 350x to but i know the 250R is different i believe u cant reverse the link on them to get lower.

sbjones73
01-03-2010, 11:09 PM
well as far as what i have done to my trike. lowered the rear as much as the rear shock nut would let me. i have looked at the rear link, it wouldn't matter much if i switch it. when i sit down on my trike i have about 4-5 " between my fenders and the top of the tires.

front end i raised the forks about 2"s into the front clamps. i wanted my front end a little higher than my rear, we shall see how i like it.

rims and tires. i will be taking my tamers off my stock gold rims and putting them on some blue label offset rims. rims are off set by about 1" or so. so this will give me about 2, 2 1/2" wider in the rear. i got the rims off a guy for pretty cheap. he used them for the studded class and welded a ring on the inner side of the rim. i will justt drill some holes in the ring.

i made up my own nerf bars out of some old warrior bars. man i think it would have been much easier to just start from scratch. really that is what i did. i cut the warrior bars all apart and started from there. really the only problem that i had with the nerf bars was the air cooled pipe. it sits right in the way. but i made something work. i can jump up and down onthe bars and they hold for sure. netted them up and did a little sewing. wallah, nerf bars!! i think they turned out great!!!!.

sprockets. i got a 14 front and hopefully going to get like a 34 or so rear. after watching the raced today, i think i need some more speed. i will alteast get the stock 42 off and go with atleast a 38. but i might have to do my first race with the stock 42 on the rear. or so you have a suggestion on tooth count for the rear?

numbers plates and kill switch are alls i have to do left i think!!!!!!!

sbjones73
01-03-2010, 11:16 PM
caveman, now that they are going to put me in the quad b class, i can't have a shortened swing arm.

any one have any sugestions on rear sprocket. the lowest tooth count i can find is a 34. my engine is stock besides 34 carb, reeds and pipe. it is bored out to 2nd to last bore also. and i will be running rubber class, no studs!!!!!!!!! also i usually runa 150 jet and right now i have a 158 in it, its this going to be good enough? the 150 jet is ran during summer (80's) and now it is like 10 degree's out. any suggestions on this also?

thanks to all you aguys!!!!!!!!!!

JohnR.
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
My air cooler knowledge is almost nonexistent but I'm going to guess that if you run a 34 on the back with a 20" tire your motor will not be able to pull it. My 85 with a 330 kit and pretty much every bolt on imaginable was not able to pull my 15/33 with a 20" tire. When I shifted into 6th it just would pull, even smearing the clutch to try to get it into powerband didn't work.

John

sbjones73
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM
john, right now i have a 14 front. with the stock 42, if i go like a 38 that would be the same as a 15 front. maybe i should look into a 36?

sbjones73
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
hey, i forgot to mention. i went to the track today. i am glad i did. 90% of the quads were running "4 snow" tires in the rubber class. the tires were so aired down that the rims were very close to hitting the ice. kind of surprised by the choice of tires. i hope they don't classify my turf tamers as flat track tires. we shall see.

JohnR.
01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Its a matter of trial and error. Its a lot to ask of the motor to pull a ton of gear with a tall tire.

brapp
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
i played with a chen shing baloon knoby aired down on the 200k and it actualy hooked on the ice verry vell enough that i coudl wheelie trough 3 ygears

sbjones73
01-06-2010, 04:32 AM
hey, i wanted to say thanks to all you guys for allthe help with this ice racing stuff. i will be out there for sure this weekend. so i will post how i did. not going out to kill everyone, but just to have fun and NOT GET LAST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol