PDA

View Full Version : Beware of UPS!!!

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
They really pissed me off. I went on line and shipping quotes from them before I took the item in for them to ship out. When I got there their prices was over one hundred dollars more. Finally after arguing with them they gave me a better price. It was $91 less but still $50 more than what was quoted on line. They told me on line quotes are not valid and I should not go by them. The one thing I had worked out in my favor is I was giving the part away that they shipped. If I had charged for it I would have been screwed. Even with the over sized fees, the Post Office would have been a better choice.

RedRider_AK
09-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, I have never used FedEx or UPS, because living in a small village in Alaska, you end up paying more and the FedEx guy only gets packages once every two weeks or so... easier getting stuff Priority Mail, takes a week at the most. Much cheaper than "Second Day Air" too.

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I am just going to pay the over size fees for now on with the USPS.

RideRed250R
09-27-2009, 02:13 PM
UPS and Fedex only work well for small packages, I use to be a shipping manager and ship over 1.5 million dollars worth of product a year. Fedex and UPS only work out when you get killer rates, they rape the average joe, USPS is awesome with the flat rate boxs,

SYKO
09-27-2009, 02:37 PM
did you goto a UPS store? if so thats why! they are a franchised store so the owner can increase rates how they want! I take my UPS stuff straight to a terminal at times its over 75% cheaper there! same with fedex! never use a store take stuff straight to the terminal. In fact ive saved money taking stuff to the terminal then even the online shipping quote was!

LonesomeTriZ
09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I did not know there was a difference. Now that I know I will not allow this to happen again.

SWIGIN
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
yeah, my brother gets daily pick up at the house and it is WAY cheaper then those ups stores.

racerxxx
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Set a UPS account up online, I think the UPS store you took your stuff to was blowing smoke up your you know what. If you enter the LBS correctly, and the dimensions of your box, it will spit out the rate. I have checked the rate online(without signing into my account) and checked the price with our UPS Worldship software on our work PC's and it matches penny to penny. If you have and online account you can even print you own shipping label and take it to the UPS store, drop it off and the UPS driver will pick it up there that night. I ship "online" and drop of at my father in laws shop or go directly to the UPS store and drop it off, you can even give it to a regular UPS driver if you see one. Sounds like you got burned.

jason85atc250r
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
yeah, my brother gets daily pick up at the house and it is WAY cheaper then those ups stores.

yes i have the daily (every day) pickup for selling my ebay goodies. if you set up a account they cant also do just a pickup for just one day during the week for around $5 or so. You just log in to your account and just type in what day you want them to come and they stop buy and grab it. Then they send you a bill in the mail.

Erics350x
09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
i've had pretty good luck with DHL and USPS. UPS always brings me smashed boxes and broken stuff

hadar
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM
/\/\ DHL is up on outta here though.

factoryX
09-27-2009, 11:53 PM
how heavy was the item? I shipped a 75lb motor through them for $55.

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 08:27 AM
I am starting to see that I did get burned. Well, I am not the one that git burned, the person paying for the shipping did. But still, I would not have gone there had I known they did things that way. If they have UPS on the door they should honor UPS quotes.

The item wighed a staggering ten pounds. Yep, the whole box wieghed ten freaking pounds. It was large, but not that damn big.

The Goat
09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
ups distro center, and don't be afraid to flirt with the old black ladies working there.

all I'm saying.

Got my 350x frame across the country for 25 or 26 bucks...

phreakboy
09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear of your issues, but yes next time just set up an account and print the label yourself and run and drop it off anywhere that ships ups. There will be no questions asked so its super quick and easy, I do this anytime I ship ups, usps, or fedex.

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I wish I knew all this before hand.

Billy Golightly
09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
The UPS stores are a total joke. Never use them for anything other than a drop-off point for a package you've already billed/boxed/labeled yourself. Go to UPS.com and open up an account. It is a total pain in the ass to do it and get setup with everything ( I found the website absolutely confusing and it took me like 6 hours to get everything setup correctly) but you'll save soooooooooo much money by using an account and dealing direct. Once you've done that you can even schedule a pickup FROM YOU HOUSE and a UPS guy will come by and get the package from you. It costs a few bucks (Literally, the last 2 I sent out had a $3 pickup fee, it costs me more than that to drive to town) but its extremely worth it.

SYKO
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I wish I knew all this before hand.

well ya know..... we forgive ya homie... common sense isnt sold in stores like many think it is... its ok:beer

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I am going to get one set up later on. I still have a lot to ship out.

I had to sell my common sense.

Thorpe
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I have plenty of common sense, I just choose to ignore it...

UPS burned me...

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Yes they did. I WILL NOT be going back to that place.

Thorpe
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh well... Whats a few bucks but a fart in the wind in the scheme of life....

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
The principle is what pissed me off the most.

Thorpe
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Amen brother... Amen...

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I still have a few more over sized items to ship. I am going to have to try somehting to get all this out of here.

1985BigRed250ES
09-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I was quoted today by fedex to ship a yfm 200 motor to New Jersey from AR, the quote was 297.00 OUCH! I have someone wanting to buy the motor for $50.00 but it will cost too much to ship. the motor weighs 95lbs.

LonesomeTriZ
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
That is the issue I have with some of the stuff I want to sell off.

racerxxx
09-28-2009, 10:14 PM
how are you trying to ship the motor?? search on here on "best way to ship a motor" Put it in a tub and zip tie it shut.

Go to UPS.com
Hover on Shipping tab, then click on "Detail time and cost"

Section 1 check detail time and cost
Section 2 fill out the where and to
Section 3 What are you shipping (select "your packaging--enter you dimensions and weight) if you put a declared value you pirce goes up

make sure all your fields are filled in and click next

I did a mock up shipment fro PA to Las vegas @ 95 LBS (dimensions were 18X16X16) and it was $67.93. The dimensions can change the cost as well

If you want send me the zip to and from and the box size and I'll check it out for you.

125Mule
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
i like how ups leaves things on my porch or just sitting under my carport, if no one answers the door. they've left a +$1000 mt. bike there just a few steps from the sidewalk. now how are they getting away with delivering something that is to be signed for without me signing for it? i've called about it, but it still happens. :confused:

snail mail for me. :lol:

RedRider_AK
09-29-2009, 06:54 AM
USPS has done me well, particularly the time I was selling stuff on here to users of 3ww... always managed to get them good prices, even though I was up in the boondocks of Alaska and shipping prices are insane there. Plus, flat-rate boxes are great :)

Maybe I'm just a sucker for nostalgia, my dad worked for the USPS for a long time. We even got him a belt buckle with the logo... heh.

Just wanted to ramble, sorry Lonesome for spammin' up the thread.

LonesomeTriZ
09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
No worries. I am fond of the Post Office. They just get me angry when I have to mail a large box.

1985BigRed250ES
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
how are you trying to ship the motor?? search on here on "best way to ship a motor" Put it in a tub and zip tie it shut.

Go to UPS.com
Hover on Shipping tab, then click on "Detail time and cost"

Section 1 check detail time and cost
Section 2 fill out the where and to
Section 3 What are you shipping (select "your packaging--enter you dimensions and weight) if you put a declared value you pirce goes up

make sure all your fields are filled in and click next

I did a mock up shipment fro PA to Las vegas @ 95 LBS (dimensions were 18X16X16) and it was $67.93. The dimensions can change the cost as well

If you want send me the zip to and from and the box size and I'll check it out for you.

the zip it is being shipped from is 71665( Rison, AR) to Harringon Park, NJ (07640). when you said put it in a "tub" do you mean something like the tote things that you can buy at wally world?

I appreciate it!:beer

Jordan

The Goat
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
UPS distro center for shipping a 95 pound engine is 90 bucks

LonesomeTriZ
09-30-2009, 07:41 AM
That is amazing.

RedRider_AK
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, that is pretty damn good. Although for shipping a snowmobile engine and primary clutch from Nome to Willow, I think I paid around 20 bucks... it was about a 49 lbs package, just under the "too heavy" margin... pretty good price too. Ask Nick_R23 on the forums here what he paid, I don't remember for sure.

LonesomeTriZ
09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Yest another reason to move to Alaska.

phreakboy
09-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Also for any Huge items like hoods and such, try to use greyhound. They are very cheap but the person has to pick it up at a greyhound hub. I have shipped tons of Large items this way and never had a problem.

LonesomeTriZ
09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I never heard of that. Thanks.

1985BigRed250ES
09-30-2009, 09:35 PM
UPS distro center for shipping a 95 pound engine is 90 bucks

Goat, I checked with UPS in Pine Bluff, AR and they didnt really want to talk about shipping it, citing "hazardous material" what if it doesnt have any oil in it?

racerxxx
09-30-2009, 11:14 PM
the zip it is being shipped from is 71665( Rison, AR) to Harringon Park, NJ (07640). when you said put it in a "tub" do you mean something like the tote things that you can buy at wally world?

Jordan

Yep like a heavy duty rubbermaid tub, I found some posts you can look over

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=99236&highlight=ship+engine

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=13999

Goat, I checked with UPS in Pine Bluff, AR and they didnt really want to talk about shipping it, citing "hazardous material" what if it doesnt have any oil in it?

Guys really, do pick pockets tell you they're going to rob you?? Drain the oil (put a tag on it that there is no oil in it), Wrap the motor in bags (so if it leaks it's contained), Crate it, seal it, ship it. If your asked what it is thell them its machinery parts or antique car parts. Telling someone your shipping a motor is like telling them your shipping an open oil container! Your best bet is to make sure you have everything buttoned up, follow the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy.:naughty:

I buy oil for my jetboat on online all the time, and pay like 12 bucks to have it shipped UPS to my house, they wrap it in like 3 bags and tape each bag shut. If I had to pay "hazardous" UPS charges it would be cheaper to go to the dealer and buy it, but its cheaper online with the shipping than my local Bombardier dealer.

racerxxx
09-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Jordan

Just did it form your zips with a package dimension of 20X20X20, you didn't say how big the box was but here is what the results were:

UPS Ground By End of Day,
Tuesday
October 6, 2009 79.87 USD*

Days In Transit: 4 Billable Weight:
95.0 lbs.

Ship To: 07640, UNITED STATES
Ship From: 71665, UNITED STATES
Shipment Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Total Shipment Weight: 95 lbs.
Daily Pickup? No Drop-off / Pickup? I will drop off my prepaid package(s)
Rates may vary at retail locations. This is the clincher right here-----OPEN YOUR OWN UPS ACCOUNT ONLINE They're basically telling you "Our retail locations are going to MUG YOU":D
Find Locations Destination Type: Residential Number of Packages: 1

LonesomeTriZ
10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I have recieved a few engines in those rubber totes. It worked out great.

1985BigRed250ES
10-04-2009, 02:58 PM
what do you guys suggest on packing material to keep the engine from being damaged?

LonesomeTriZ
10-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Kittens...