PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen sensors??

Dirtcrasher
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm doing some work on my truck, the "service" light has been on for some time now. I found a snapped off OS and plan on replacing it. It is located PRIOR to the cat.......

The deal is, they are 160$ and thats not OEM which must be double that :lol:

Anyhow I have 2 questions:

1) Anywhere I can find one a bit cheaper for a 94 Toyota V6 4x4 OS, located PRIOR to the catalytic converer??

2) Without searching online, What do they do?? I imagine that prior to the CAT, it's mostly raw CO and other spent exhaust fumes, but apparently there must be oxygen present that sends a signal back to the main computer and says (Hey!, do this to the fuel mix!!)

I'm sure it saves gas mileage and helps with emissions (although I am not even tested being a 10yo truck) but any gas savings will surely pay for the sensor in time.

I'm just curious as to there function, seems odd to have any oxygen present but it must be very minimal.

I guess the 160$ was just a kick in the face I wasn't ready for.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated, thank you.....

Mosh
09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Toyota Truck sensors are expensive..No way around it.
I am sure you can find some hokey dokey, El Guapo unit, but many times they require you to splice the wires, and end up not working correctly.

That sensor is Primary Air Fuel Mix for the ECM.
With it inoperable, you computer is commanding open loop fuel and timing control, much the same as running with a choke on, with a old carb equipped car.

You are probably loosing Approximately 30-35% of your fuel mileage, that the truck is capable of getting.

EDIT..I would price OEM..Many times they are cheaper than aftermarket as of late becuase of the Economy.

shortline10
09-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I've changed them several times and its defiantly a big difference on gas mileage . If you've ever had one go bad on a dodge PU it feel like a v8 motor running on 6 cylinders . If you want to buy generic , I would go to a good auto store like NAPA or Bennet .

1984ATC200S
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Mine before discount was 145$ Bosch for my 93 sierra, walk out with it for 85$, i would try and find a good parts store and do most of your business there, mine treats me well, as I've been dealing with them for the last year.

fabiodriven
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
All I can say is you definitely don't want a universal.

MonroeMike
09-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I bought a Bosch also, 30k miles on it, so far.

They have a special O2 wrench set available at AutoZone (loan a tool), if you don't have one. Makes the job easier on some vehicles.

racerxxx
09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Here you go DC--Genuine for $108 It does not give the location but if you can get the OEM # you can search it on that site by P/N

http://www.partswebsite.com/pagetoyota/?i=1&make=155&model=1359&year=1994&catid=10046&subcatid=20111&section=3&type=parts

Try http://www.ineedtoyotaparts.com
They have it for 102.36 + 10.24 for shipping

Get the OEM # and start the google process, I searched for about 10-15 and found these 2.

Both of those sites are genuine Toyolla parts.

Enjoy :w00t:

racerxxx
09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
I can't get it to take you directly to the part, but in the search box type in oxygen sensor and you'll find it.

Also, if you're looking on a genuine toyolla site it is under electrical, powertrain control, the search for OS--stupid place to list it if you ask me.

Erics350x
09-27-2009, 10:38 PM
rockauto.com cheapest auto parts you can find.

mopar_man
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
rockauto.com cheapest auto parts you can find.

Beat me to it.

AutoXer
09-28-2009, 05:59 PM
i had a couple wires break on the wifes car so i put them back together ... works fine

Dirtcrasher
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the information and suggestions guys :beer:

I should be up and rolling again tomorrow so I have some time to deal with the sensor. But, if it makes it run rich, I don't want to carbon crap up over 30,40,50$. I'm watching my money but I have to use my head too!!

Thanks again!! :D

keister
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I owned a Tacoma from 1997-2009 and the oxygen sensors, cat, and mass air sensors are the only parts I had trouble with.
Had a big chain reaction where a clogged (cheap aftermarket) cat converter made the oxygen sensor go, then the mass air sensor went bad, then the other oxygen sensor.....
I am not sure of the whole cause and effect, but after I stopped replacing the parts with Midas and used junkyard stuff, I never had another problem.
Now, I only replace with OEM Toyota parts - more $$ up front, but no worries in the end.

tanks350x
09-29-2009, 11:15 PM
you probably should have grabbed the one off of that truck that was at W.Z's

cox
09-30-2009, 11:10 AM
go to the wrecker. that sensor is generic across most years of 4runners and pickups. cost you maybe 5 bucks, so buy 4 just in case.......

SYKO
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I got O2 block offs in my 97 lincoln truck, basicaly they are pre programed boxes that just plug into the harness instead of an O2 sensor, I got them off ebay for like 80 bucks about a year ago. truck runs better with whatever program they have them set at, still havnt gotten around to building my exhaust (no cats dual 2.5 out) but that takes money ....and I have none...cheers