PDA

View Full Version : My friends pride and joy! His Car!

bigboy_toy85
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
well this is my friends pride and joy. And my first project. Ive helped with everything on it, and i mean everything.

well, its a 1975 Plymouth Duster
rebuilt 1978 360 out of a cordova, it has an stage 1 cam, rebuilt heads, and edle brock high rise intake, and an edlebrock 650 4 barrel carb, summit water pump, it has a radiator off a 81 dodge with a 440, it has a 4:11 rear end (which was put in after these photos). it has a high stall converter in the tranny (unfortuantly an auto tranny) He has Hooker headers, with flowmaster super 44 mufflers with a 3 inch exhaust, (it sounds like a beast!) Its still in progress.

It originally had a slant 6, with a 11:25 rear end. Which was slw, but it sure would pull.

enjoy the pics, tell me what you think of it.

MonroeMike
09-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice.

I had a 72 Duster 340, back in the day. Wish I had never sold it (along with a lot of other cars).

Did you have to change the K-frame to get the V8 mounted in there?

bigboy_toy85
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Luckily no, summit has a motor mount conversion, had to do a little cutting and welding, but very easy to do. He was going to get a k frame for another duster at the redneck Paradise mall. But it was cheaper to get the motor mount conversion.

And my friend wanted a 340 so bad. He found one in a cop car, it was a 340 police intercept motor but it was locked up

daniel_250r
09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
nice my uncles has a nice old car like that 58 plymouth plasma? i think, sadly he doesnt choose to visit much. he also has a yamaha 225dx what a shame

bigboy_toy85
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
nice my uncles has a nice old car like that 58 plymouth plasma? i think, sadly he doesnt choose to visit much. he also has a yamaha 225dx what a shame

Cool an old moonshiner car. Those things were sleek and fast.

MonroeMike
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Luckily no, summit has a motor mount conversion, had to do a little cutting and welding, but very easy to do. He was going to get a k frame for another duster at the redneck Paradise mall. But it was cheaper to get the motor mount conversion.

And my friend wanted a 340 so bad. He found one in a cop car, it was a 340 police intercept motor but it was locked up

We did a buddy of mine's car (6 to an 8), changed the K-frame and the torsion bars, lots of work.

There are some bushings in the frame, right under the radiator, for the strut rods that go to the lower control arm. They go bad, hard to tell by looking at them, without taking them apart. If you notice a noise when taking off or braking (clunk), that you just can't pinpoint, check there. Those are often overlooked.

I had nineteen of those Dusters (Twisters, Demons), between the ages of 15-18. Only one was a 340.

bigboy_toy85
09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
We did a buddy of mine's car (6 to an 8), changed the K-frame and the torsion bars, lots of work.

There are some bushings in the frame, right under the radiator, for the strut rods that go to the lower control arm. They go bad, hard to tell by looking at them, without taking them apart. If you notice a noise when taking off or braking (clunk), that you just can't pinpoint, check there. Those are often overlooked.

I had nineteen of those Dusters (Twisters, Demons), between the ages of 15-18. Only one was a 340.

Thanks for the heads up on that. And the biggest problem we had when putting the motor in is to get the headers in we had to disconnect the tie rod and run it through the headers. But other than that it slid in fairly easily.

atcrider1
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
whats a twister?

my uncle has a bad ass 340 demon its all tubbed out with 31 inches of meat under the back powered by a insane 340 with a fuel injected 6-71 BDS blower pushin about 550-650 hp

mopar_man
09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a fun car but I'm biased. :D

bigboy_toy85
09-30-2009, 10:44 PM
whats a twister?

my uncle has a bad ass 340 demon its all tubbed out with 31 inches of meat under the back powered by a insane 340 with a fuel injected 6-71 BDS blower pushin about 550-650 hp

Thats an awsome demon!! I'd love to have that much power. But my friends car isn't anything special. It's something a 17 year old is building out of his garage. And all of his money (and somehow mine) has gone into it. But it does pretty good at the drags.

And mopar man, what are you biased about?

mopar_man
09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Mopars. I've got a '73 Barracuda. My daily driver is a PT Cruiser. The wife drives an Acclaim. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee (adopted Chrysler product) and a Mirada. Chrysler products only for me.

Also, I just noticed you mentioned an 11:25 rearend the car came with. What's up with that?

If your buddy is using the stock '78 heads and pistons on that motor, he's missing out on horsepower. If you've got any decent junkyards nearby, go look for some '89-'92 trucks/vans. The 308 heads on the '89-'91 318s and '89-'92 306s are some of the best small block heads out there. Get them milled .020" and use some Mopar Performance or Mr. Gasket thin head gaskets to up the compression. He probably pitched the stock intake and carb off the CordoBa but if he's still got the intake, put that back on with a properly built and tuned non-Lean Burn Thermoquad. They're like a Quadrajet in that they have small 1 3/8" primaries for fuel economy but the secondaries are big enough to throw a cat through. There's nothing like having 2 1/4" secondaries open up and kick you in the pants.

bigboy_toy85
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
He got the original heads rebuilt, with new rockers. And he got compitition pistons. I have no idea what brands. And he got a edelbrock intake because it was cheaper to get the intake and carb together. Then he got the free air cleaner. Then he put different jets in the carb. But I don't know what size jets he put in. And all his gaskets are mr gaskets. Exept header gaskets, which are felpros

Im a chevy guy myself. But mopars aren't bad. But it's alot cheaper to rebuild a chevy.