PDA

View Full Version : The new winter beater- 93 Toyota Pickup 4x4

Kintore
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Well, since im in the market for a new truck to replace my dodge 2wd and theres no point in buying a new 4x4 right before winter to get it all salted and crapped up.

I bought this gem for 1500 bones,
Massive uncontrollable power plant 2.4 liter with the 5 speed.
Came with subs and new speakers and deck
Spare tires and rims
40 thous KM on the motor, 250 thous KM on the entire truck
Brand new clutch 5 thous KM ago
New interior
Push bar for the worm pickers
and the best part of it all, the Chrome Skull 4x4 shift knob! :lol:

All it needs is a front torsion bar and some new 31's to safty, and some body work on my end just cause I can. Plans are the drive the livin piss outa it over the winter and dont care 2 craps about it!

I also just ordered a Hurst alum T-shifter for some more class for 12 bucks! Cant let my lil skull buddy take all the pride and joy.

Pics!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270252.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270251.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270253.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270256.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270260.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270261.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270262.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Taco/P9270254.jpg

keister
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Dude, that is SWEET!!

Welcome to the club. You will not be disappointed. We can take it hillclimbing in Pine City.

PS. I don't think it's a Tacoma though - it's an SR5 4x4.

Billy Golightly
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Sweet truck Josh! But....whats up with the corn cob in the bench vice? You giving subliminal messaging to ole Raffa, or whats the deal?

RedRider_AK
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
PS. I don't think it's a Tacoma though - it's an SR5 4x4.

SR5 is just a trim package.

rdlsz24
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
It's just called a Toyota Pickup, or Hilux in foreign lands. The Tacoma didn't come around till '95. You will love it.

Here is my '88, also with the 22RE:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/Toyota%20Truck/ToyotaForums1.jpg

Rob

code200k
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Sweet truck Josh! But....whats up with the corn cob in the bench vice? You giving subliminal messaging to ole Raffa, or whats the deal?

redneck corn cob holder!

posty2100
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
nice find, I am in the market now for a Toyota pickup since my s-10 got totalled on Sunday. I was on 81 in Binghamton,NY and guy hydroplaned his car and over corrected and hit the guard rail on the right and then came across 2 lanes of traffic and slammed into the side of my truck pushing it in the concrete barriers at 65mph totaling it. It sucks real bad, wrong place at the wrong time.

Can't beat a toyota, will run forever, you drive it to the junk yard someday. Will rust out before it dies.

racerxxx
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Put a glove on in the winter before grabbing the T handle----You'll end up like "A Christmas Story". Yes it does happen and yes I speak from experience.:D

Kintore
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
haha thanks guys should be sweet to bomb around in

and yah, we are farmers Billy. We were just testing the corn and the best way is to put it in the vice!

code200k
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

and yah, we are farmers Billy. We were just testing the corn and the best way is to put it in the vice!

really? if so please explain

MTS
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Them things are fun, my buddys has had about 4 or 5 of them, Not that new, The if's dose ok, but the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro we put them through, the straigh axle works good!, Set of 33's and it will go through almost anything, tree's included, Just make sure to plug it in when below -35c, and they sound cool with stacks haha

firehart
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
You gotta love Toyota pickups. My 88 is still going strong. its got 270,000 on it.

cox
09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
The SR5 package differs from gen to gen but is mostly a cosmetic package. That truck does not have a solid front axle, its IFS. I have done a crazy amount of work on these pickups. No its not a tacoma, its classified as a mini truck or T-100. That motor is pretty much bullet proof. It should have 4.10 gears and a 4:1 reduction in the T-case. If your going to 4x4 it hard, convert over the crappy auto hubs with manual's. If you need to know anything specific about that truck PM me and ill help ya out. I lived, ate and breathed these trucks for the last 5 years straight..... Till i took a trike for a ride, lol.

Kintore
09-30-2009, 11:09 AM
haha thanks alot cox

plans are just to slap some some meaty 31's on it and maybe a roll bar. Fender flares also might be a good idea to cover the rust, any ideas where to get them? who has the best price? bushwacker? jungle flares?

No serious offroading here, just like to play in the snow!

cox
09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
bushwackers are the best choice but expensive. There is a fab shop up here in BC that makes bolt on fibergalss panels for them, prolly end up cheaper and look alot better. But then you would need to paint her, lol. I painted my 89 4runner totally in rhino liner. Great stuff, smashed the front end into a tree hard and it didnt even scratch it. here is a pic of my old rig before the 8G's i pumped into it.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/Picture005.jpg

Current project
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/openhood.jpg

35" Boggers, 6" lift chev 4.3 vortec conversion, 3 speed B and M sport shift...... cool unit climbs anything....

Banage
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
thats great. I had a SR5 a few years ago and I wish I still had it. They are great trucks for multi use

plastikosmd
09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
nice truck for the money. that toyota buy back last year or so was a big loss..lotta good trucks got crushed

Bryan Raffa
09-30-2009, 08:42 PM

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Kintore
10-01-2009, 07:24 AM
bahahahaha man you kill me raff

Dirtcrasher
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
nice truck for the money. that toyota buy back last year or so was a big loss..lotta good trucks got crushed

The "cash for clunkers" ate up all the V6's.

Then the bad frames up up most of the 95 - 01 Tacoma's. There is near NOTHING in the boneyards now and although plenty of it is available aftermarket, it isn't OEM :(

Kintore, I have a 94 V6 SR5 and there isn't anything I can't fix on those.... Make sure you run antifreeze all the time or the head corrodes on the 22RE and it's not fun.

Kintore
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
thanks for all the heads up guys! I appreciate it!

just got done about 3/4 of the body work.... now im thinking fender flares and rocker guard the whole bottom part black

ATC-Eric
10-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Sweet ride Josh! Gots to get me one of those. Im in the market for a beater truck so I dont have to mess up the Duramax.

Call me dude! Its a matter of life and death!

Russell 350X
10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice buy Joshy! Keep the oil changed in her, it'll run forever, even when theres isnt a body left around it.

Kintore
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Just finished up the rocker panels, and fenders with a DIY rocker guard.

I tell ya, im going through bondo like a bugger, every spot I find im patching it. Turning out to be pretty badass!

Taking it in the to shop next week to get it cert and e tested and I want this all done so its GO GO GO!

Eric, ill call ya Sat

Rusty, well your name comes to mind with this thing haha but yah seems pretty bulletproof. I had the same thing in a field truck but a XTRA cab, man that thing took some abuse and ran like a top!

jason85atc250r
10-02-2009, 12:19 PM
The SR5 package differs from gen to gen but is mostly a cosmetic package. That truck does not have a solid front axle, its IFS. I have done a crazy amount of work on these pickups. No its not a tacoma, its classified as a mini truck or T-100. That motor is pretty much bullet proof. It should have 4.10 gears and a 4:1 reduction in the T-case. If your going to 4x4 it hard, convert over the crappy auto hubs with manual's. If you need to know anything specific about that truck PM me and ill help ya out. I lived, ate and breathed these trucks for the last 5 years straight..... Till i took a trike for a ride, lol.

not trying to be a a hole but the T-case reduction is 2.8 to 1 on every toyota truck from 79-95 with a 22re. by the way the was 1995 regular trucks also Tacomas did not come out till spring of 1995.

hear is a pic of 2 of my trucks 85 sr5 4runner for $700 with every single fancy option and my 89 sr5 4x4 gotten for $500. they were to nice to strip for parts on ebay.. 4runner has some Rausch creeek tree rash. just snapped one of my brother Swigins beast also.

kintore give me a PM if you need parts i'll have everything you need. i have 75 trucks for parts.

jason85atc250r
10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
The "cash for clunkers" ate up all the V6's.

Then the bad frames up up most of the 95 - 01 Tacoma's. There is near NOTHING in the boneyards now and although plenty of it is available aftermarket, it isn't OEM :(

Kintore, I have a 94 V6 SR5 and there isn't anything I can't fix on those.... Make sure you run antifreeze all the time or the head corrodes on the 22RE and it's not fun.

hey dirtcrasher they actually have 4 22re ones at Harry's U pull it by Chris200x's house. they were cash for clucker trade in's

keister
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Jason,
I knew you would be jumping in this thread soon. Toyota owners unite!

Kintore,
Let's see some updated pix. You must be working night and day on this beast.

And just for the record Toyota made both old style 1995s and 1995 Tacomas. It is strange that they would introduce a new truck right in mid-model year, but I know this for a fact because I drove one of the first Tacomas (1995-1/2) for the past 12 years.

jason85atc250r
10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Jason,
I knew you would be jumping in this thread soon. Toyota owners unite!

Kintore,
Let's see some updated pix. You must be working night and day on this beast.

And just for the record Toyota made both old style 1995s and 1995 Tacomas. It is strange that they would introduce a new truck right in mid-model year, but I know this for a fact because I drove one of the first Tacomas (1995-1/2) for the past 12 years.

Keister thats all i drive from now on:D i just got my dually toyota back running. Pulled out the auto and made it a 5 speed. it's really snappy with the 4.10 gears and the little 195-75-14 tires

i just got a 1994 4x4 from a friend thats hauls in scrap cars for $500 it has 130,000 and a rod knock. no rust at all just a couple dings.

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
All great stuff guys!! :D

I needed a torsion bar bolt and BADASSKFX thought I had a "middle year", but I'm a 94, not 95......... Fortunately I had the bolt elsewhere.

Jason, thanks for the bumper light - Fine for my needs :D

I've seen a few EBAY auctions with "CLUNKER" on the windshield :lol: I thought the 4 banger didn't meet the mileage criteria??

I thought the 4 was too good on gas and "clunkers" had to get worse than 18mpg or something??

Help me out guys :)

Jason, did the mounting change on the TF case or are all those years the same? I think I have 3 cases, one should be less than 200 miles but from 1988.......

Wish I had 4:10's only as far as parts go. I have rear ends and front diffs but all 4:10s. The V6 is a 3:?? I forget but it got changed between the two.....................................

jason85atc250r
10-02-2009, 09:19 PM
All great stuff guys!! :D

I needed a torsion bar bolt and BADASSKFX thought I had a "middle year", but I'm a 94, not 95......... Fortunately I had the bolt elsewhere.

Jason, thanks for the bumper light - Fine for my needs :D

I've seen a few EBAY auctions with "CLUNKER" on the windshield :lol: I thought the 4 banger didn't meet the mileage criteria??

I thought the 4 was too good on gas and "clunkers" had to get worse than 18mpg or something??

Help me out guys :)

Jason, did the mounting change on the TF case or are all those years the same? I think I have 3 cases, one should be less than 200 miles but from 1988.......

Wish I had 4:10's only as far as parts go. I have rear ends and front diffs but all 4:10s. The V6 is a 3:?? I forget but it got changed between the two.....................................

Dirtcrasher ------ all the v6 t cases are the same as long as it's from a 5 speed. your v6 truck since it;s a 5 speed should have 4.10 or 4.56 axle gears. 4.56 gears were on trucks with 31" tires from factory. Those were the only ratio put in them nothing else.

i found a easy way to tell what ratio you have just buy looking at the rear end sitting there. if in the center of the big nut that tightens the yoke down ( where driveshaft bolts on) it's painted pink then it's 4:10 blue = 4:30 in auto 4x4's. 4.56's mite be green if i remember rite.

the 22re would count but you did not get the full $4500 dollars and you had to buy something that got alot better mileage like a car.

rdlsz24
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I thought the clunker cars were to be crushed to make sure they never found their way back onto the road.... How are people selling them for parts?

Rob

jason85atc250r
10-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I thought the clunker cars were to be crushed to make sure they never found their way back onto the road.... How are people selling them for parts?

Rob

all they do is blow up the motor by running this liquid silica stuff in them. they are aloud to sell just parts not the whole thing. at this u pull it yard they crush them after a couple months.

Kintore
10-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, just a quick update, no pics as of yet... tomorrow

Going into the shop for new meaty 31's (any suggestions?) keep price in mind since I only bought the truck for 1500! getting cert and e tested this week as well. Should be driving it around in 1-2 weeks full time. Maiden states trip on halloween to malvern raceway in OHIO!

Dirtcrasher
10-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I've always run 33" BFG radial All Terrains and I went places F350's with 40" tires couldn't go :lol:

There are allot of large lugged mud type tires (if thats what you want) but they make more noise, have less contact and wear faster.

You can find BFG radial MUD terrains at the wholesale clubs which helps with the cost. 4Wheelparts has really good prices on wheel/tire deals, I got 4 33" tires on American racing aluminum rims with all the access for 1000$ shipped. Around here it was a 1500-1700$ deal.....

I think Pro Comp makes a nasty tire too.....

Name Brand
10-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Put 33's on it! That truck will turn them no problem and get you alot more places. A bigger tire rolls farther; your highway mileage should go up.

I heard 'rust'. Cut out the front fenders for clearance, remove the bed and build a flatbed and headache rack for it. With a small flatbed you should be able to get two trikes on the back.

There are some very cool IFS trucks out there... I used to work with this guy at the Toyota dealer. His front crossmember was rebuilt out of schedule 80 pipe. One day he drove in and had bent it upward about three inches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io9VAavht-I

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2009, 12:06 PM
33" tires and the 4 cylinder do not work well on the highway.

They can't pull 5th gear with any incline and you won't be able to maintain any good speed and rpm's with the stock 4:10 gears.

Those trannys are known to have issues at 150K miles or so especially popping out of gear (there is an improved shifter seat that fixes some of those) and you will blow 5th gear if you lug it with 33" tires.

Or, at least most of us did back in the day. Then again, at one point I was running 36" Dick Cepek fun country tires; I couldn't get out of 3rd gear :lol:

Kintore
10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Sticking to 31's, I want some kinda usable power after driving a V8 around!

Update, dropped it off at the shop a few mins ago. My mech is a toyota nut and he said he will hook me up with all I need so im good there. Cant wait to drive it around, even though it IS gutless as crap. Oh well, only decent power I found was 3500-4g RPM haha

daniel_250r
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
i'm looking to get a truck in the next year or so, if you want to sell then pm me. we live so darn close

keister
10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Don't put 33's on it. That little motor won't turn them.
Want proof? Do the math - consider this equation from my bother's 1994 model:

33 inch tires + 22R-E + stock gearing + alcohol + ATCTim's foot on the pedal=

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/ringgear.jpg

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/ringgear2.jpg

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/drunkengear.jpg

keister
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
^^^ But on a positive note, we found out that night that you can do wheelies in a Toyota pickup!

Kintore,
I have run these 31" tires on my present truck as well as my last one. You have seen them many times. They are easily good for 65,000 to 80,000 K if you keep them rotated FREQUENTLY.

There is a guy near Tim who can hook you up with a set mounted for about $500 US (cash). As you can see they have some pretty good tread depth. He also has a very simiar BF Goodrich for about the same price. I think you know of whom I am speaking.

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/turdcutter.jpg

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/treaddepth.jpg

http://www.venustel.com/~peepers/misc/tacoma.jpg

atctim
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Correction - that is the front pinion gear - not rear in the "Drunken trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro" pics - also - that was not a cousin driving when that happened - it was me. I was trying to get up a shale cliff - and when the front tires started hopping, instead of letting out of it - I gave her all she had. Opppssss!!!

I didn't know you had that plaque at your place Peepers!!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
10-07-2009, 05:07 PM
With my 33" BFG AT's I use to climb a huge hill we had local that swallowed MANY a truck. I could make it up everytime what we called "front side" off to the left and right were what we called "side side". One night I attempted "side side" and gave it all she had. I made it near the top and blew the rear pinion. When you went back down you still had quite a ways to go to get out of the pit and now I was only running on the front diff.

I had to climb a good size hill out of the place and lost the front diff. What happened was there are "interference clips" on the end of the CV joints and one couldn't handle the force and popped out.

We towed it home with 5K miles on it, sent it to the dealer and they laughed at me when I wanted a warranty claim........

I fixed it and a few months later rolled it over in the mud, fortunately there was very little damage.

I see the vidz on utube and wish we had taped this stuff back then, we did some crazy stuff, like jumping so hard I broke the cab mounts right thru the floor or snapping off A arms, it was crazy and fun as hell :D

jason85atc250r
10-09-2009, 07:16 PM
33"s do okay with a 22re and a 5 speed. Thats whats in my 4runner in my earlier pics. welded rear with stock 4:10 gears for about 5 years. I can never use 5th though.

The only gears i ever broke (not that bad) :lol: was a set of Presicion 5:29 gears i had in my 82 4x4 with 35"s. snapped about 6 front axles with the front detriot locker in about a year or so. Could not afford $800 for the aftermarket ones.

Was it a ifs front that the carnage pic was from? the ring gear is puny in those fronts.

Kiester-------- can he egt those tires in a 33" size?

keister
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Was it a ifs front that the carnage pic was from? the ring gear is puny in those fronts.

Kiester-------- can he egt those tires in a 33" size?

Jason,
That gear is from Tim's old Toyota. Stock front end as far as I know.

Those tires don't come in 33s. They do come in 35s, put I think the 31s are just the right size for that pickup.

Kintore - How about some progress pics?

toocheaptosmoke
10-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Finally found me a yota last week too, 84 SR5 22r 5 speed sunroof, $650. :w00t:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/1008091116x.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/1008091118x.jpg