PDA

View Full Version : How not to clean your chain *Warning Graphic*

hancadam
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Do not open this link if blood/gore bothers you. This is not work safe.

That being said this guy learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Never clean a bike chain while the engine is running. I thought it was worth sharing.

This Forum is becoming known for viral threads. They had one not to long ago where a kid put 3 NOS drinks in his fuel tank thinking it was additive.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

I know this post is borderline so I checked before posting. If it needs to be removed go for it.

brapp
10-03-2009, 10:02 AM
ewwww that bad

TravEX
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Ouch!!!!!:(

RedRider_AK
10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I saw that one a while ago on Kawi forums, I think... that thread is making the rounds on the internet :lol:

Pretty crappy for the guy, though. I think I'll call that "pulling a Tony", after the guitarist of Black Sabbath Tony Iommi...

jeswinehart
10-03-2009, 11:18 AM
But the first reply from ks503 has me laughing my butt off !

john

MonroeMike
10-03-2009, 11:34 AM
That sucks.

mohadib
10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
wow, what a dumb ass. i dont care how unexperienced you are, putting your hand on a moving chain is just retarded.

edog
10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
It's along way from his heart!!!j/k

That sucks big time.

hondawasaki
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Dude I just about ralphed, I have a weak stomach, and that is crazy gross.

tanks350x
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
That's pretty nasty stuff right there!.. Like he said, good thing he's left handed

harryredtrike
10-03-2009, 01:03 PM
mmmmmm delicious

Dirtcrasher
10-03-2009, 01:17 PM
When I was an industrial mechanic we had bought some new box machines, almost half a mill each. So, they wanted them "spotless".

The place was family owned "Rich's" and they were all dicks.

They told the Guatemalan girls to "CLEAN THEM!!" and this one was drop dead gorgeous! She was using a rag BEHIND a chain and CYA went some fingers, right around the chain. I could not believe where she had been cleaning.....

I got there and a finger was on the back of the sprocket (machine sprockets are solid...) and it was just stuck in the grease and spinning with the machine. Horrific to see.

Another lady had her fingers CRUSHED and I mean CRUSHED, down to about .030 of meat.....

Then there was the guy whose skin all got tore off of his hand and the guy who was decapitated........ never mind.

I got lucky, 11 years of very dangerous situations and I had just a few small injuries. Dirt bikes hurt me much much worse :D

tanks350x
10-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm soooo glad that the POLAR MOHR paper cutting presses that I ran in my 20's had all OHSHA safety features(electric eyes) working... The mere weight of the blades would cut your fingers clean off!!!!

hancadam
10-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I drilled just over an inch into my hand about a month ago, stopped at the bone but didn't damage it. Right in the meaty part between your thumb and index finder and that hurt like hell the next morning. I couldn't imagine what this felt like the next day. I have found that serious injuries normally don't hurt bad at first, but the next day is a SOB.

edog
10-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I almost cut my middle finger off in a recliner when I was 18. And to boot it was on Friday the 13th.

Rm250RF900R
10-03-2009, 05:24 PM
all the drinking from lastnight and those pictures almost made me puke.

300rman
10-03-2009, 06:31 PM
i dont understand how he did it.....having your hand at the top of the sprocket eliminates the hand getting sucked into the sprocket, but reguaardless.....ouch.

i dont think this is inappropriate, its a good heads up for people.

saw it on Bannedcr500riders.com awhile back

TLR-Online
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
WOW!

I have done my fair share of stupid stuff, i'm just glad it never turned out that bad.

I hope his hand heals up good.

Greiver430x
10-04-2009, 06:07 PM
We just had a guy grab a piece of paper that was stuck on a roll spinning into an ingoing nip point. To make it worse it was on our dryer section where the rolls are around 350-400 degrees. His hand got pulled through a gap of about 1/8 inch. It was a miracle that he got it out because it almost pulled his torso in. He boke every bone in all of his fingers and thumb and dislocated his thumb. Also had 1rst and 2nd degree burns. I have to say I never want to hear that scream of agony again it just goes right through you.

daniel_250r
10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
god i love my shaft drive 200es lol thats gotta hurt

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I have another story!!

Happened about 3 years ago in our area.

2 Electricians, one at one end feeding wire into a conduit; And one at the other end running the machine pulling the wire. All thats between them is a "Nextel". Hell, they've done this a couple dozen times now........ :(

Anyhow, sometimes when feeding wire into conduit you have to help it along. Maybe angle it a bit or hold it high or whatever. Somehow it grabbed one hand, then the wrist so he grabbed it (dropped the phone) and then 2 wrists were stuck. These things pull huge wires thru 6" underground conduit, it wasn't long before he lost both arms and lucky for him they got help fast and he lived.

Without any arms though.....

Never F with machines, even egg beaters look harmless but it doesn't take much to tear, cut and rip our digits off guys :eek:

Stay sharp!!

RudeDog666
10-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I think I'll be trading for a shaft drive trike. Ewww!

threewheelin-feelin
10-05-2009, 01:55 AM
ouch damn that must have hurt...thank god im very cautiouse about things i do with machines...its like i see accidents before they happen...but must accidents happen for the split second we dont stop and think...i have had one close call in all the years ive been working on things...we were trying to knock the bearings out of my 250r ...and my buddie was using a sleage hammerscrewdrivere for a split seond i grabed the screw driver and said here all ill hold it! bad i idea...it hurt so bad when he smash my finger i almost passed out...and if i had had me finger at an inch the other way i would have lost it...so guys just stop and think about how your gonna do things before you do it and the injuries wont happen :beer

MagicJames
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I've got a dumb story too...
When i was a kid in wood shop back in high school, i kept having a problem with keeping the drill bit in the chuck (it was old and kept rattling loose), so i thought "Hey I'll just put the chuck key in the chuck and turn the drill press on!"
BAD IDEA!!
The chuck key was on a retractable key chain, so it was hard to lose. I put the chuck key on and held onto it, and turned the machine on, I'm glad that i let go when i did otherwise it could have been way worse, but it spun so fast that it came around and jammed my thumb, it was all sorts of funny colors for weeks, black, blue, purple, yellow, orange, red. I never told anyone because i was afraid i'd get suspended over it. (i wasn't a very good kid in school) But my thumb is better now and seems to work good enough for me.
That was a IDIOTIC move on my part, but I'm glad i learned from it.

300rman
10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
lucky the chuck key didnt fly out and knock your teeth out

HONDALUVR
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
that made my azz pucker severely. I snapped my left leg off at the knee in a Motorcycle accident took 30 days in the Trauma Center At Memphis and 3 surgeries to reattach and cobble it back togeter ... It actually didin't hurt that bad ... but I hit my finger with a 5 pound shop hammer the other day and it still hurts ... fingers are sensative for a reason.

outtaline
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I had the paw on a trailer winch break loose 2 weeks ago and the handle came back and broke my nose

outtaline
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is the pic

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
^ DAM, almost got your eye!! Glad your alright bud :beer

Tri-ZNate
10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
had a guy 2 weeks ago at work almost loose some digits.

Threading up the paper web (we make Bounty) there was a driven roll with a idler right below it and once the paper goes inbetween there you can stuff it in the machine. Well he had just threaded up and on start-up it broke so while the machine was running he was going through the motions to save on downtime. Done it a million times in his 12 years there.

He got to those rolls and when he tried to stuff the web through, the driven roll grabbed his fingers and sucked them in. His only saving grace was he panicked in time and ripped his fingers back out. Only wound up with some chewed up fingers

Banage
10-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow, I feel bad he was so stupid

jeswinehart
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Not even the achohol factor involved.
Did not realize there was NOT a chain gaurd on a 185-S I had just got going. Was in 1st. gear rounding the house at a putt and reached down to shove the choke lever down while turning a wee bit and WHAM, dam I got bit !
Never really did "loose" the finger tips, they just stay bottled up in the garage.
I knew that rum the ex left behind would come in handy some day :)

yep, 17 years ago I got seprerated, 19 years ago I got released from "her".

john

Rm250RF900R
10-08-2009, 08:52 PM
something similar just happened to me. did a wheely on my rm250, throttle stuck, i slid off the back and my finger must of went into the tire. ripped the finger nail off and the tip of my finger. put it all back together, rapped it up, looks good now.

factoryX
10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
you ripped your finger tip off and you put it back together by wrapping it?

Rm250RF900R
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
yeah, i cant afford the hospitals, so i cleaned it really good, stuck it back together, and wrapped it up. it healed up nice, my nail hasnt grown back yet though.

Rm250RF900R
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
it wasnt nearly as bad as that obviously. but it was still pretty bad.

factoryX
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
my nail hasnt grown back yet though.

go figure.

mrit
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I did something similar, but not quite as stupid. No running engine or lasting damage though.

I had the cruiser on a stand, in neutral with the engine off. Was cleaning the chain by spinning the back tire, and like the others, rag got caught caught in the chain and my thumb nail stopped the wheel.

Lost a chunk of the nail and hurt like hell for a few months.

Learned my lesson very quick!

Triple B!
10-10-2009, 04:44 PM
okay as far as the guy loosing his fingers cleaning the chain.... OWWWW!!!
holy crap, that's gotta suck! (I did laugh at the fact the his sig said 'just call me nubs' though...!)

Outtaline- how is your nose? I bet that had to hurt, by the picture...

And Swiney...! Do you still have your fingers in that bottle of rum?!?!?! I hope those aren't 17 year old fingers in that rum! ewwww... :(

harryredtrike
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Not even the achohol factor involved.
Did not realize there was NOT a chain gaurd on a 185-S I had just got going. Was in 1st. gear rounding the house at a putt and reached down to shove the choke lever down while turning a wee bit and WHAM, dam I got bit !
Never really did "loose" the finger tips, they just stay bottled up in the garage.
I knew that rum the ex left behind would come in handy some day :)

yep, 17 years ago I got seprerated, 19 years ago I got released from "her".

john

mmmmmmm ill have a shot of that.better than the worm dude,puts a new meaning to three fingers of whiskey

Dirtcrasher
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if the fingers started growing a hand? :lol: