PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone's family work for a VET?? RIP ALEX!!

Dirtcrasher
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I need some help here, if you hate cats, please stay out of the thread.

I'm 1000$ deep into my cat "ALEX" he is only 4 yrs old.

6 months ago, he was healthy and fine. Then he got thin, lost his color and hid allot in the basement.

After 10 days in the VET hospital they claim he has a "red blood cell" parasite. I pay the bill and they send me home with prednisone and doxycycline.

He does well for about 3 weeks AFTER the one month of treatment and now he's right back to where he was. Not eating, hiding and losing weight.

I've been thru 2 vets for ALEX and about 5 vets since January but I liked this Vet. Now I'm losing faith in her too.....

If this cat can be saved, I'll sell a farking 3wheeler to do so, I could care less but I don't want to put him to sleep. I have hope........

I know it's not a piston and rings, but is it THIS hard to fix a cat??

I called a couple Vets just to inquire about what a Red blood cell parasite is, how he got it and how do we get rid of it and save his life. They just wanted me to make an appointment. Health care is the same with animals, they just want the check.......

If anyone has any family that works for a Vet and could let them read this post I'd appreciate it IMMENSELY!!

seadoo650
10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear DC. I had a cat that had the same symptoms once. Took him to the vet and the vet asked if he ever got outside. Well, by chance he did just a few days before. He said it figures, He prolly got into a fight with another cat. Probably had a deep bone bite. Cats have very dirty mouths. My cat had a deep bone infection. Doc gave the cat a shot and a script for some antibiotics. Cat was like new in about three days. Hope this helps.

JasonB
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I hate cats!!! :D

JK and lol at the 'fix a cat' remark. I dont have any idea, thats not cool though and i understand what health problems with a companion is like. My boxer keeps having issues with his right eye and the vet wants me to go spend around 1000$ at some opthomologist. not important or valid to this thread, just sharing that I know what its like to spend money and not get the right answers. i wish you and alex the best of luck!

bump for you

Dirtcrasher
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
It's cool bro.... Anyone with animals has gone thru it or will.

Sadly, I tell my OWN MOTHER and she says "Stephen, you aren't working maybe it's........." I basically told my own mother to STHU and you can't put a price on your animals!! If you take them in, you have to take care of them!!

Would I rather have a spotless empty house with leather furniture and Oak tables? Or a house with pine furniture that gets chewed up or thrown up on by my animals that will always love me? :D

Easy answer for me :lol:

I'd ask Plastikomd for advice but he'll just chop his paws off :lol: shens

oldtime3wheeler
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Steve, my wifes cat was healthy then suddenly started getting very thin, not eating as much, he wasnt cleaning himself well either, and laying under the bed alot. Vet checked him out and said he had a hypertyroid problem. Gave us a script for a med and he started getting back to his old self. Now he has to be on the script the rest of his life, but hes alive and healthy again. The script we have runs about $15 a month. Its called tapazal(not sure if thats how its spelled).
Hope this helps

ProCarbine2k1
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Dc, cant say that I see eye to eye with you on everything, but I couldnt agree with you more here. I think this post says a lot about ya bud :)...

Do you think there is any chance that your cat as feline leukemia? Would hate to think so, but I don't know what else it would be if it in fact isn't a red blood parasite. Did your vet tell you how it could have been contracted? I will try to give my vet a buzz tomorrow... BTW, have you thought about calling the humane society? They may be able to point you to someone who is more concerned about your cat than your cash...
Sorry to hear, hope things get better. I would sell anything I own for mine... Good luck bro...

factoryX
10-06-2009, 12:34 AM
could be tick related blood cell parasite, I was watching animal planet and it was transferred over to a human and she had the same exact symptoms as your cat does.

factoryX
10-06-2009, 12:35 AM
http://www.cathealth.com/ticks.htm i think I found something close

Feline ehrlichiosis is transmitted by the brown dog tick. Ehrlichia infects platelets and other cells. Loss of appetite, depression, fever, sensitivity to touch, and serious weight loss may occur.

plastikosmd
10-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd ask Plastikomd for advice but he'll just chop his paws off

LOL

Sorry to hear DC. I dont have any advice. Our vet is great..in providence..Called City Kitty. Only work on cats. Dr. Lunstrom is our vet (think that is her name..wife asleep atm) Try giving them a call?

scott

Louis Mielke
10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I know I'm gonna get a groan, and this is just a joke....

But you need to freshen up the bore and throw a new cat and rings in there. That'll bring compression right back up...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/SD530038.jpg

Seriosuly though, DC I know your pain, this is Martin who I love to death, he's all growed up now, (not that he got very big, he was the runt I think). I notice the second he's behaving differently and I worry about him more than I worry about me.

I think life would be over without him.

I hope you find the problem and get it licked!

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
^ :lol: Lou.............

The Humane society is a good ide and thanks for your vets name Plastikosmd.

Alex has never been out doors, none of them go outdoors and they all have there shots and tests all done.

I just tried to feed him, he ran and he's hiding under the oil tank :(

He's so skinny it's killing me, it's like watching him die in front of me :(

I'd accept this if he wasn't 4yo, but it's just to young, he ought to be able to enjoy some life,.,,,,,,,,,,

He goes back to the vet at 4pm today and I'm sure he'll be staying there for awhile. I just hope I can catch him.

MagicJames
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I understand how ya feel, My dog has Lyme disease (from ticks) and there is nothing we can do about it, so we have to watch her suffer from time to time. It really makes me sad.

the great gazoo
10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Steve, the wife and I are feeling you, we had to put our one "cow" cat down in Nov last year & in Dec. our Siamese got real sick, lost weight, hid wouldn't eat. We went through the gamut of vets in the Metro Baltimore area, with no real diagnosis. He was on pednisone too, & it helped, but no vet could tell us what was really wrong with him, finally he died in Merlyn's arms this june, it was really painful, but worse for her because she's had Max 5 years longer than me(17 years). My prayers are with you, brother. I know your pain all too well.

Thorpe
10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
What kind of food do you feed the cat?

Dirtcrasher
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
So, much to my complete amazement; 4 yo ALEX was found to have a huge tumor in his belly today. They had him 6 weeks ago for about 1.5 weeks when the "red blood cell parasite" was diagnosed.

So my options were:

1) To take him home and get an ultrasound, which I explained "He's sick, each day hurts him and he gets thinner....." and she didnt know anyone who did that procedure - wtf......

2) Euthanize him now, until I told her ALEX is only 4yo and then her eyes grew as she said "I though he was older than that!"

3) Do an XRAY and merely acknowledge the mass she "knew existed"

4) Exploratory surgery (this Thurs) and the mass will be removed IF she can remove (which I do understand). I had to sign a paper that they won't bring him back if it doesn't go well......

So, I hate to be negative but this hasn't been my year. I feel like I lost him when I "left the building"...........

It all suks.............. How does a vet with your pet 10 days and handed you a "huge bill" miss a "huge tumor" all that time??

I found out that they take credit cards so I'm all set now, I'll max it out for my little buddy :cry: I hope you make it Alex!!

hancadam
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well.

tanks350x
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Man, that really sucks Steve, so very sorry to hear that. I know these little guys that you have are like your children. It's very sad that the vet didn't find the tumor when she had him. If you need anything let me know
Roy

fabiodriven
10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't catch this thread until now Steve. If it's any help to you (I would have to check my finances), I could take your SX for a while and give you some dough. It would probly spend more time sitting in my garage than anything else, then you could buy it back when you're ready.

Dirtcrasher
10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
^ Thanks guys.....

It's ok, I found out she takes credit cards so I just threw 1000$ down on his operation. It's got an 18K limit so I should be ok.

It's not the money, it's his life.............................................. .................................................. .......

ATC-Eric
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I really hope he pulls through!!!!

Had a boxer a couple years ago we spent well over a grand trying to keep her alive for a couple day visit to the vet, she still passed with a kidney problem. Really sucked, she was only 3 or 4. REALLY cool dog. Pets are treated better then family in our home.

the great gazoo
10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I really hope he pulls through. I went through a similar "If we can't get it, we'll have to let him go while he's asleep" thing w/ my vet, and 4 days after my 1st cat died, I got a call saying they couldn't save my dog( Truck, the chesapeake bay retriever), & I had left a deposit of 680 dollars, which of course I didn't get back. What kills me is I left him there & didn't expect he'd die the next day & never got to say goodbye.........
Again Steve, my prayers are with Alex.

Thorpe
10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
I think my wife would sell MY motorcycle to fund an opperation if her shiba inu needed any major medical attenion... Hope all goes well DC!

Bunnyhop
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat Alex and what you are going through. I completely understand though. My wife and I love our pets, they're family members to us especially since we don't have any kids.

Dirtcrasher
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone, just got the call.....

Alex is gone. She said he was filled with cancer, not much more to say.

I just wish she had checked him while he stayed there instead of giving me hope and now he's dead and suffered another month.

Thanks again for your support.

oldskool83
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM
sorry man.

harryredtrike
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
damnit damnit damnit.sorry to hear that d.c.what a shame,wish they would have discovered earlier.

Saul
10-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve. Very sorry to hear that.

SeaBass8
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve. My condolences.

tanks350x
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Awe that sucks man, sorry to hear bud.

Russell 350X
10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
That sucks buddy. I'm sorry to hear that.

dcreel
10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
It's always bad to lose something you love. My condolences for you and yours.

hancadam
10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear that. At least he is in no more pain.

plastikosmd
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
as you know steve, I had to say goodbye to my cat of 13 years..about 2 weeks ago now. I know how you feel buddy. $!#^%$! rips your heart out, hang in there

scott