PDA

View Full Version : question about eletric impact wrenches

samster143
08-03-2003, 07:36 PM
on these cheap electric impact wrenches, is the torque adjustable? it says it is capeable of 240lbs torque, how do you get less? how are pneumatic impact guns regulated? I would like one but I do not know much about them, does anyone here know...

TimSr
08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
My air impact has 4 settings, just numbered 1-4 to adjust torque. I dont know about the electric ones, but I would assume they are adjustable as well.

86waterpumper
08-04-2003, 12:40 AM
I have a cheap harbor freight electric impact. It is NOT adjustable at all, it just sort of spins for a minute and then a clutch grabs, and it delivers the torque, and then spins up again. It doesn't bother me though, I only use it for things like lug nuts, and what not, I wouldnl't go torquing a head with it LOL...I will have to say, it has lasted awhile to be a cheapo 20 dollar wrench.

deathman53
08-04-2003, 07:41 PM
i have a craftsman electric impact, it works great. no its not adjustable. i use it to tighten cluth baskets, wheels hubs, break very stuburn bolts, use it with a flywheel puller(its very hard to do without one), but they are NOT for torqing heads, ONLY use a torque wrenth to torque heads, cylinders, and such. I prefer to use hard tools, and only if I need to use a impact I do. Its way too easy to strip bolts, threads, etc with a impact gun.

samster143
08-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think you have answered my questions. So, with the non-adjustable you are able to give the right amount of torque just by feel? This is not for sensitive areas like cyl. head bolts I got that. I think I'll get one.

Trikeaholic
08-06-2003, 09:23 PM
impacts of ANY kind are not for assembly of a motor! Disassembly only, and only when you need it. You will know when you need it. Example, you have a KX 60 motor out of the frame, and cannot loosen the flywheel nut, because the motor is turning and you cant jam it up with the old penny in the gears trick because you stupidly took out the clutch side already. In that case, one could use an impact wrench to get the nut off the crank. They do work great with flywheel pullers too. IM sure its not the correct way to use a puller, but, hey, when the motors out of the frame, you ever try holding it down while you try to use a puller on the flywheel?? I dont recommend trying it!!

200x Basket
08-06-2003, 09:50 PM
i have a nice dewalt and it kick butt. way easier then an air impact.