PDA

View Full Version : New C-826's Are En Route

JohnR.
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I'll actually be putting some power to the ice this year at Bryan's instead of spinning through 4th or 5th gear. I can't wait to go for a ride with a set of freshly studded tires again. Its been so long! :w00t:

John

Bryan Raffa
10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I got two sets ..hahaha gonna have to down gear....lol

ChrisD
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Mine should be here tomorrow....after 5 years and especially racing on a flat last year it should be awsome to have a new set of shoes.......

Let's see what Team Yamaha is bringing to the table this year...:p Is the 490 in the line up?

Bryan Raffa
10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
mike would FN kill me ....:eek: gonna put some ply wood down this year in the driveway.. and strictly no studs on my freshly sealed asphalt..we got a good 4 months still..

JohnR, as you come in the door, you got the last hook on the right ,, your craftsman flannel is hangin there..

Brapp I got your long Neoprene gloves here also..

mike from long island
10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
You gonna stud brand new discontinued tires!!!!!!!!

Hey there yours now.... :lol: :beer

Bryan Raffa
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
You gonna stud brand new discontinued tires!!!!!!!!

Hey there yours now.... :lol: :beer

Come on Silly:lol: gonna shave half the knob off and then stud...:twisted:

JohnR.
10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't start that discontinued rumor again!! :crazy: Dennis Kirk has a bunch of them in stock but they went from $35 to $55 since last year and then they hit you with some dumb $5 fee per tire! I got a pair off a guy on ebay for under $100 shipped. He's got a couple pair and if I had a spare $100 right now I'd buy the other set just to have backup.

John

mike from long island
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't start that discontinued rumor again!! :crazy: Dennis Kirk has a bunch of them in stock but they went from $35 to $55 since last year and then they hit you with some dumb $5 fee per tire! I got a pair off a guy on ebay for under $100 shipped. He's got a couple pair and if I had a spare $100 right now I'd buy the other set just to have backup.

John

As far as I know.The OEM 86 Tri-Z tire has been discontinued for a long time.If not.Then poor Raffa got robbed!!! :D :D

JohnR.
10-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I thought you were referring to the tires I just ordered. A bunch of people were screaming "the sky is falling" when you couldn't get them last winter but you can NEVER get them in the winter time since the racers buy them all up. My mistake.

John

mike from long island
10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I thought you were referring to the tires I just ordered. A bunch of people were screaming "the sky is falling" when you couldn't get them last winter but you can NEVER get them in the winter time since the racers buy them all up. My mistake.

John

No worries.I figued you were talking about a different tire.I bet Raffa was sweating for a minute there!! HAHA

JohnR.
10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm impressed. The tires are already here!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/atc330r/trikes/1023091701.jpg

:beer

Time to get started on swapping these onto my aluminum wheels and put the old ones onto my spare steelies.

John

riverrat
12-31-2009, 04:02 AM
That was my only edge with you, I had fresh tires. Now I will be in the dust. I wish I had the doe to upgrade the engine, I'll be lucky if I don't grenade what I got this year. Unless some huge jobs come through, I am on the same motor again. Hopefully I am going to do a few more things to the bike though, like sprockets, and a front rim and tire. I just got done polishing the tank it looked like a disease, cause I tried to clear coat it last year. I found out the hard way that gas fumes seep through and make it look like crap. Oh, and I need a clutch basket too, so I got a few things to buy.
I also want to figure out why my trike likes to turn one way easier than the other. Unfortunately it's right, not left, and I have to work so dam hard to get that thing turned. I think it's in the tires, cause my dirt tires didn't seem to do it. I tried running stagger with tire pressure, but I think it worked against me, and had an opposite effect.
The lake is trying desperately to ice over. Just need a nice cold night with no wind, then some snow to make it thicker. I am biting my nails.
I got a trailer to carry the three wheeler down to the ice, you guys are welcome access here again this year, just let me know. Maybe we can do the winter carnival again. I am going to keep a path down to the lake, and a track plowed.

JohnR.
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
That sounds great Anthony. Did you ever try swapping the rear tires side to side? If the pull changes then you know what is causing it. If it doesn't then I would get the tape measure out and check that the rear axle is square in the frame.

I went out to the shed Wednesday night to pull the R out of the corner and give it a once over, I now have just the frame, forks, handlebars, and swingarm sitting on a crate, the engine on the bench, and a box of parts that I glass beaded at work on Thursday. I'm planning on painting all my odds and ends today and maybe getting the clutch cover off the motor to install the clutch update kit and billet basket that have been sitting on the shelf since 2003. I just need one day above freezing so I can wash the frame down to get off 8 years of accumulated grease and grime before I put the engine back in. My cousin is going to pop the tires off the rims for me today (he works at a tire shop) then I'll mount the new tires on my aluminum wheels and my old ones on a set of steelies I've had laying around forever for the T3. I'm gonna be busy this week.

John

riverrat
01-03-2010, 01:03 AM
The once over, lol. I know that story.
You have the ability to glass bead? Your my best friend, id I ever tell you that? Dam, I wish I knew that before.
I couldn't swap the tires, cause my lug nuts came loose, and egged one of the rims, and it will only work on one side. Chris saved my ass on the lake one day, he was following me, and lucky his bike is faster and caught up to me to tell me my wheels were about to fall off.
I have to get a new rim, more money. I am praying for some good work, then I can go a little nuts. I am also trying to set up the 200x as a back up, and I need rims and tires for that. The ones I have aren't good for the ice. I don't care if it isn't as fast, I love riding that thing. Putting a 12-1 piston, some porting, and I got the pipe on it.

JohnR.
01-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I have limited access to a machine. Its in another department at the other end of the train barn and technically I'm not supposed to use it, but I try to only use it at lunch time and I always leave it in better condition than I found it.

I got the billet basket and clutch update kit installed last night. You're supposed to replace the one gear with the thinner 1989 250R one but I was able to chuck the gear up in a drill and then spin the drill while I laid the outer edge of the teeth against the bench grinder. That gave me a nice even cut and the clearance so that the gear didn't chew up the basket. I went back to stock clutch springs too, those aftermarket ones were killing my forearm. I also painted a bunch of the odds and ends that were starting to look bad. I just have to decide if I'm going to paint the clutch cover, strip and polish it, or just leave it alone. Today or tomorrow I'm going to tear down the calipers and rebuild them too.

I got sick of fooling with the axle bearing adjustment so I ordered a double row housing, Durablue locking nut, and while I was at it I ordered a billet exhaust outlet that uses O-rings. Thank God for the credit card!

John

ChrisD
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
'Sup guys! I can't wait to see your bike John! I didn't know about the smaller gear when I did my clutch basket a couple years ago so, unfortunately I have had the metal shavings in my gearbox, but I have been changing the oil each ride, so hopefully there isn't too much damage.

Good call on the rear axel bearings. I did that on both bikes years ago and never regretted it. The billett exhaust housing either. Much better!!!

I'm all set so far. I got my new tires and studs. I just need to commit to the drill for an evening and I am all ready. I can't wait to use the new tires. Last year, my bike was slow as crap! I hope to come out swinging hard this year!

brapp
01-03-2010, 04:15 PM
my one turf tamer kept going down last year so i think i am goiugn to do up a new set of 18 inch fast treakers i have on nice light aluminum rims. and i got rid fo the dg and now runnign a pt high rev once again!! just got to fabricate a lowerign link for the rear and tinker with the forks a lil bit too.

ChrisD
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
After sitting for the past year......she's out for blood!!! And she likes Yamahas!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~atc330rrider/images/newnumberplate.jpg

JohnR.
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I can't wait to see how it comes out either. I have a few more things to glass bead tomorrow and then paint tomorrow night. I'm going to drag the frame/swingarm into the basement and let it warm up overnight then I can wash some of the grease and grime off of it. After that I can start putting back together whatever I have for it then before I put the axle in I'll drag it back up to the shed. Its just too cold to do this much work out there, even with the propane heater on.

John

riverrat
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
At least you got a shed!
I still never found the billet counter balance bearing holder I had from ESR, lol.

Oh yea, ICE is on the lake, about 80% across.

JohnR.
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
It looks like the NJ end will be safe this weekend and NY will be the weekend after as long as the weather holds this pattern:

Overnight
Lo 14 °F

Tuesday
Hi 26 °F
Lo 18 °F

Wednesday
Hi 29 °F
Lo 17 °F

Thursday
Hi 30 °F
Lo 14 °F

Friday
Hi 27 °F
Lo 9 °F

Saturday
Hi 24 °F
Lo 8 °F

Sunday
Hi 25 °F
Lo 10 °F

Those are some promising numbers! I rebuilt both my calipers tonight and painted one. Tomorrow the other gets cleaned at work and painted in the evening. The rest of the stuff that needs blasting and painting is minor stuff that can be done after the rest of the trike is put back together. Stuff like the front master cylinder and the rear brake lever can get done after its back together and I actually hear it run. Then if I have time I'll beat up that stuff a little. I'd still like to at least test fit the 350X fork set up that I put together for the R but that will have to wait.

John

riverrat
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey are you planning on riding the Jersey end this weekend? If so let me know. I can ride mine the way it is, just have to set up for the ice again from trail setup. No big deal.

JohnR.
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Not this weekend. I'll never have the trike together in time and I don't know if I'll have time anyways. I'll make some phone calls, maybe I'll head out on Sunday. I'll let you know.

John

riverrat
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
K, I can make it around 12-1ish on Sunday, would like to get a few laps in to warm up.

I started working out to get ready to hold on!

ChrisD
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
mmmmm....working out 3 days before probably won't work....just kidding. I will be up the following weekend and hopefully ready to ride.....I have not worked out and hope I can hold on for dear life.

riverrat
01-07-2010, 06:34 AM
I know it's a little late to start working out, but not really as it turns out. I started Monday, and I am trying to do a lite work out each day, focusing on the muscles I use when riding. See this year I am 44 years old. Let's put that into perspective, that's 44 years of milk and cookies. I think I past my invincible stage at around 39, and I am actually starting to feel the effects of age on the human body. Quite depressing actually, since I had hoped to be a kid my entire life. Now I take blood pressure medicine, and could stand to loose 20-30 lbs. Anything I do at this point is going to help.
I work pretty hard for a living, crawling around in crawl spaces and attics, and changing boilers, but it's not enough. I can't remember the last time I worked out, and after working out on Monday I felt great! Experiencing the stretching of the muscles in way I haven't felt in a while was pretty invigorating. I almost felt like I could do a superman on wonder woman.....haha.
Even last year, after like 5 laps of all out racing, my arms would get so pumped, I couldn't hold on. I can still remember screaming inside my helmet and fogging up the glass cause I was trying to get more strength. My bike is hard to hold on to for some reason, I am hoping to address that this year also. I rode Mike's tecate at Raffa's, and I could have held on to that thing all day without getting tired. But it had substantially less grip than mine. I definitely had an edge in the turns, once I started learning how to go for it. All the bikes I had before couldn't compare to this one, being all properly set up thanks to you and John.

Speaking of which, what gears do I order to give me a better gear ratio with those 826's and keep the same chain? I know you guys told me before, and I saved it somewhere, but I don't remember.

riverrat
01-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Oh yea, and at some point this year, I would love to do some filming. Take some time out to purposely set up racing scenes, and film with on board camera's, and camera's set up along the track. I got this new high speed camera, and can do slow motion stuff, like time warp. I have to make some camera mounts that can go on the trikes, and get some high speed footage of the tires spinning, and close-ups of other trikes racing in front of you and such. If I get around to it also, I have a camera mounted on an R/C plane, and could get some "sky footage".
Example of the high speed stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#p/u/26/hd3ltWyiOXE
http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#p/u/9/Emm-TbbegyQ
http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#p/u/25/oRzxzimeM7k

brapp
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
dude i would definitly be in for some thing liek that let me know wehen it happens and well tear s*it up oh and watch out i might have something green and big bore ready for the ice:mad:

riverrat
01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
When I come up to Raffa's I will do some filming, and you are always welcome here brapp!

JohnR.
01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
The most reliable method to keep the same chain is to change the front and rear sprockets by the same amount. If you go up two on the front, go down two on the back. Realistically, if you're running stock gears now (13/39) you can almost definitely go with a 15/36 without any worries.

Hoping to see you in two weeks then Chris. I have off Monday for MLK day, will you be going home that day or Sunday? I'm just psyched that I have weekends off for the first time in a long time. I may even try to change my schedule to 2p-10p on a Monday or two in order to recover if we have too much fun.

We have a gym in above the locker room at work and I've been saying I need to go up there for an hour a day since I started there 6 months ago.

John

ChrisD
01-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm off also. I plan to stay until Monday. Tom is coming too. We just put a 330 kit on his bike too.

JohnR.
01-07-2010, 09:51 PM
NICE! I'm just sitting on the couch studding the rear tires. I put the final coat of paint on the clutch cover tonight and I'll have the motor back together tomorrow. I have to pull off the rear brake lever to clean and paint it, paint the footpegs, and then I can start re-assembly. The rest of my parts should be here Saturday. Oh, and clean the frame off too. When are you coming up?

JohnR.
01-07-2010, 10:57 PM
One tire down and one to go. That one will wait until tomorrow, then I have to sit here and tune all the screws. :cry:

ChrisD
01-08-2010, 06:30 AM
I still have to stud. I will start that tonight. I have a bit more to do.

I plan on coming up Saturday morning as I usually don't get home from work until 7 or 8PM. I will see you at Mike's tomorrow if you can make it.

riverrat
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Is the Jersey end even safe? There is still open water on the NY side, I don't think I ever saw it freeze like this, with so many patches of water open.

JohnR.
01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm playing it by ear. My friend who lives right by the Awosting boat house said there was 6 inches there at the beginning of the week.

riverrat
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ice!
That was fun!
Although short lived.

JohnR.
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I had a great time too. I'm surprised at how good my Tecate runs even though its pretty much stock. I was surprised I was able to get around those two guys on the ice bikes.

riverrat
01-11-2010, 01:32 AM
New shoes and a great driver/rider helps too!
I was getting used to it all over again, the last few laps were better, finding the speed and line.

riverrat
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Where are you getting your race fuel John?

JohnR.
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
The last time I bought it I bought it from a bike shop over in Rockland. I actually know one of the guys there from the Galant VR-4 club that I'm in. I think the guy either owns it or his dad does or something. I put in a message to him this afternoon asking about some.

Next week I'll be way more comfortable since I'll be back on my R. The Tecate is cool and fun but its so down on power.

ChrisD
01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Last week, I was all set to go........today my motor is 1/2 apart. I have surface rust on my cylinder. I pulled it off and am going to beg the local shop to hone it by Friday and have the gaskets overnighted. What a twist of fate. My clutch is back together though.

I will be there either way. The 85 is ready to go.

JohnR.
01-12-2010, 12:03 AM
That sucks. I'm afraid of what mine might look like if I actually looked in there. This is probably the last season on that piston and rings so I'll let it fly and see what happens.

riverrat
01-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Dam I typed something last night, and it never posted.
Well John, I was faster than you for a few minutes. I let you pass me on the track, because I wanted to see if I could stay with you, then I hit the loose stuff, and lost a half a lap. Then you went off, I couldn't really tell if I was catching you or not, but that Tecate is fast.
I am going to try and sharpen my studs, they definitely did not have the grip they had last year. I don't know if it was the hard ice, or the studs. I am planning on taking a little ball shaped stone in a dremel and hit the screw head.

I did research last year for race gas, and found a place in Bergen county, I just have to find my notes. I think it was $8 a gallon when I did the research, who knows what it is now.
I would like to mill my head, because my compression is only around 170psi. I could get a few extra horses there, and start using race gas. I don't ride enough for it to really matter financially, plus I love the smell of it. I probably won't use 10 gallons, maybe 20 in both bikes.

Either of you have an extra milled head you want to sell?

riverrat
01-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Oh yea, one more thing, Chris, I called Douglas, they don't have any of those rims, and aren't planning on making them, unless I order 50 of them.
But douglas does make the same rim, with a different bolt pattern, I think I can just drill my own bolt pattern. I am in dialogue with Recreation tire about the clearance inside for the caliper, they said that others have done what I am thinking of doing.

riverrat
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Well I hit the main part of the lake today. The ice in the areas that were open water are 6 inches think. I know because I drilled a hole with my auger, and stuck my hand in. I rode for a couple hours tonight. The motorbike guys were out in front of the castle, like 15 of them. I can't see the ice going anywhere, and should be safe this weekend.
The ice is sort of spotty with bumps, so it's hard to find a perfectly smooth big track, but I got something going in front of my house.
I think they are talking about a storm Sunday night?

Bryan Raffa
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
cool,, gonna get up to 50 next week and melt the snow...that alone will put 2-3 inches on top of whats there..:drool: think Im just gonna switch over and forget about Indoor.. this is the only time I can ride in my front yard!:Bounce

oh and I passed on the NEW 826's...Fair trade for a trip to ride the Dunes... I got All Turbocoops Canadain studs he had in the Tiger last year... Ill swap every other out .. or just add... or I may Rob the tires and rims off the 200x and stud them with all long studs...

ChrisD
01-13-2010, 10:04 PM
That's awsome Anthony!!! I'm under a little stress about this. My Sequoia is in the body shop (dented the hatch with the trailer). They promised it to me by tomorrow, but I have not heard a word. Also, as you can see by the pictures, I had to do some major surgery to get her through the winter. It is just waiting for gaskets at this point and ESR sent them 2nd day air on Tuesday. I should have that tomorrow too. It looks like I will be finishing the motor on Friday night and that is only a patch, not a full rebuild. I had surface rust in the cylinder. The piston was fine and I honed the cylinder with a deglazing stone to clean it out. It should be fine for the winter. My O-ring must have been leaking a little last year. I do have 6 or 7 years of abuse on that motor, so I can't complain, but it still sucks to be caught off guard at the last minute. I've been here before and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. As long as I have my truck back, I can still ride my 85R, but the whole thing is stressful. Especially when you tell me the whole lake is good. If I have to, I will rent a truck to get up there.

Mr. Raffa....I hope to get out to your place this year. I just have to get the wife to say OK for Valentines day.

Bryan Raffa
01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Chris Bring Her! If she wants...

JohnR.
01-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Made some progress out there tonight. I only have to paint the footpegs and I am done with painting stuff. The pipe needs to go on, the front forks need to go on, the rear brake lever is painted but needs to go on, and the front brakes need to be bled. After those things are done I should be ready to start it. Hopefully the front master is OK and I'll be good to go. I'm guessing I'll do some more work tomorrow and then I'll button it up Friday night.

I'm not going to be around past lunch time on Saturday Chris so if you guys need me to leave the plow quad for you just let me know and we'll arrange something.

John

riverrat
01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Don't stress Chris, whatever happens, happens. That bike sure looks clean!
If we ride here, or even the castle, I have the plow on mine also. I just don't have studs on the 4 wheeler, or chains.
It is supposed to just get to 40 the next two days, but back into the 20's at night, hopefully it won't get slushy.

I rode from Storms Island, all the way to Chapel island, and all around, I was the only one out there, besides the guys racing at the castle. I just had that feeling that many people were watching, and listening to that loud exhaust I got. My neighbor said he heard my bike when I was at awosting, like 5 miles away.

I took my 110 out, first time riding it since the melt last year. Gave it a nice run too. Everything is so dirty, I need a hose....

riverrat
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I am not liking these temperatures. Let's just hope it doesn't rain Sunday, and snows instead. Their talking about a mix now.

I worked on mine today, I cleaned it, washed my car and truck too. I sharpened one set of screws, Then I installed the twist throttle. Then we went for a brief ride. I am not liking the twist throttle, I need one that has less range of motion to it. It didn't even fit to begin with, and I had to monster it to get it in, by modifying the cable, and the throttle itself. Everything was too short, and I could not get the throttle to go all the way down to idle. But I got it in there pretty good, after much frustration, but the old one isn't going back unless I get a new throttle cable.
Maybe I just have to get used to it, and also try a different pair of gloves.
My arm is dead already from riding.
My sprockets came today, probably put them in tomorrow. I got 15-36.
Next week I should be getting a 10x6 rim, and a duro tire. I really feel if I lower the front more, it will put me, and the bike in a more comfortable position. Right now I feel like I am reaching up for the handle bars. Adding that tire and rim, should lower me down 3inches or more, depending how I set the forks.

Drinking beer now, relaxing :beer:beer:beer:beer
We should do a bon-fire Saturday night here at the beach, and chill-out.

ChrisD
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
After the football game....the Ravens are playing at 8:30

Well, I'm 75% together, but I HAVE to go to bed. Everything went back together easily. Let's hope it will run for the weekend. If I had the time, I would have had it bored and put a new piston in, but with 4 days notice, it wasn't possible. Keep your fingers crossed.

JohnR.
01-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I hope it all comes together Chris. I put about 2 more hours into mine this afternoon. The only things I have left to do are swap the new ice tires off the Tecate onto the R and put the seat back together with the fenders then pop them on the bike. I started it up tonight with some race fuel that was left over from last year (thank God for Sta-Bil) and it fired up second kick. Hearing a 250R with that Paul Turner pipe and silencer never fails to make me feel like a 15 year old inside. After the kids go to bed I'm going to button it up. I hope you guys get a few hours in tomorrow. It sucks that I have to go somewhere tomorrow as that is probably going to be the better of the two days. According to NOAA its supposed to dip down to 23 here tonight so it should be pretty good tomorrow for at least the beginning of the day. Its supposed to get down to 20 Saturday night so if the snow/sleet holds off we should be pretty good for Sunday morning as well. I'm praying that the cold weather returns and FAST!

John

riverrat
01-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Ditto on the weather. We didn't loose much ice, and the Jersey end still has plenty, so let's hope the temps drop at night. Right now, it's 7pm and the temp just dropped from 44 to 40. Let's hope for 20's at night, and snow on Sunday night, instead of rain.
John, I found a 55 gallon drum of C12 race gas for $453.00 Thing is I don't need that much at one time. I would take 10gallons, if we could find some others to share it. That gas is fairly local.
I am going to whip out there tomorrow, if the temps get into the 20's here, and see how it is. Then as it warms up, I might do some ice fishing.

riverrat
01-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Well the ice is still strong and good. The Jersey end where people were riding on Saturday is trashed. I blasted all the way up and down the lake, spent almost a tank of fuel, did some laps in front of my house, on some perfectly smooth ice.

Yesterday after fishing, I was showing some guys my catch, and there was like 8 guys leaning on my 4 wheeler peering into a bucket of 40 perch, and we didn't go through the ice. That was like 2000lbs. The ice is still 5-6 inches.

The weather started as ice, and it hurt as I was riding. The little ice pellets found there way through the air vent holes in my helmet, and still hit my face pretty hard. Those little holes have 2 turns in them. I did some 4 wheeling too, in the rain. The rain was like 33 degrees, so it didn't hurt the ice at all. We should be good this week, and through next weekend.

Gonna put my new gears on tomorrow, and give them a try on the ice. I definitely need the gears, I ran out of gear in 6th, easily The motor revs out past it's power band. I am thinking the gears are going to help on the track too, because usually 4th is to little, and 5th is too much. This should make 4th better. (or 3rd-4th, not sure what gear I usually use, I just shift)

I am on my third tank of fuel. hehe. More fun riding with people though.

ChrisD
01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Glad to hear that....it looks like it will be OK during the week. Not great. We'll see. Right now it looks like I will have new studs and a new motor this year. I hope to have it done on Friday. It's not too dignified right now.

JohnR.
01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Don't sweat next weekend too much Chris. Its not looking too good right now.

riverrat
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Right now, the forecast (which doesn't mean crap sometimes) says Friday will not go above freezing. If that holds up, Saturday will be good. The whole NY end is good, it just has to get cold enough to be hard.
The ice on the NY end is much different than the Jersey end, it is pure ice, not snow ice. Most of it anyway.

P.S. the gears are in, and one of these mornings when the ice is froze, I am going out to test.

JohnR.
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree that its safe, I just don't have much hope for it being good. The only good thing is that its supposed to get into the 20's every night this week. If we can get a cold night Thursday, a cold day Friday, and a cold night Friday night into Saturday then the ice should be good. Keep your fingers crossed.

John

riverrat
01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Think and talk positive thoughts!

WE thought it wouldn't be good this past weekend, but Sunday was fine, in the am.
I am just thinking we got to take what we can get if we want to ride. The ice may stay or go, and not be able to ride at all, unless we try.

ChrisD
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I will be there even to ride in the AM only if that's all we have. My 85 is all set if the 86 isn't back together.

JohnR.
01-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Cool. Tom coming with you again? Pick up 5 gallons of that c12 for me please. Let me know if there's anything you need on my end.

ChrisD
01-20-2010, 06:10 AM
I already have the gas, so we're all set. Tom is coming too.

riverrat
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Was out this morning testing the new gears. My front tire is out of balance, now that I am going so fast. It pulled 6th gear nice, but I couldn't wind it out.
The ice was good, went to 25 last night.

riverrat
01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Imma beat my front rim back into roundness!
And then have it balanced, or try too.
I don't think it was ever meant to go over 85mph, if I am going that fast, it sure feels like it.
I am going to gps it.

Bryan Raffa
01-21-2010, 12:58 AM
45 feels like 85.... you poor honda guys.. check your front wheel bearings,,, bad ones will give you a shimmy,,, you will never feel it on dirt..... you all set on a place??????

riverrat
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh, yea, how's the ice up your way?
I judge speed by the tears in my eyes. I know my eyes start to tear at 50.
Also, I know for a fact, my 4 wheeler does 40mph, or more correctly 65 kph, since it has a speedo, and my 110 can pass that, and I can pass the 110 with my old gears like it was standing still.
The GPS will tell.

Forecast here for Sunday is not looking good, talking about a whole lotta rain, and warm. This could possibly be the last weekend here if conditions mess it up.

riverrat
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Bearings are fine, it is the slime in the tire. I just need a new tire and rim.

riverrat
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Oh my!

Ok, repeat after me, and sing along.....slime is gooood.....slime is goooood.
haha

Actually if it wasn't for Chris lending me some slime last year, I wouldn't have been riding. It's my fault for not replacing at least the tire. I opened up the tire, and took out like 7 oz of slime. That wasn't fun, opening up the tire. I was laughing at myself the entire time, as I was wiping up slime, and getting it all over everything, thinking to myself....what a dope. I swear, if you judged me by all my stupid experiences, you would think I have no clue wtf I am doing, lol. So funny. The whole time looking at the neon green, bio hazard looking slime, I kept thinking to myself, this goes really good with a T3.
Breaking the bead was such a joyfullest experience. I wound up using a hydrolic jack, and the back bumper of my truck, and a few pieces of wood. Hopefully I left just the right amount of slilme to keep the holes sealed, and not be out of balance.

I will test the thing tomorrow, I am too scared to go out tonight by myself. It has to be better.

You should have seen the guy trying to balance my tire with the slime in it. He was like "is their slime in this thing?" I was like "yea", "slime doesn't harden?" He was like "no", hence the name slime I guess.
Everytime he spun it, it came up with a different number. I also had to go to 4 garages before I found one with t tire machine that would hold that rim.

JohnR.
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
DOH! I put some in my rear tires but didn't notice any terribly vibrations when I was out that day. Hopefully it doesn't rattle my teeth loose on my fast bike. If it does I guess I'll be doing the same thing as you.

John

riverrat
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
My front tire is 23.5" so the loose slime accumulates in a puddle, and then spins in the outer most part of the tire, which gives you the worst vibration due to leverage, and centrifugal force. The 18" tires, would be less susceptible to it, because the weight isn't as far out. Plus they are on the rear, and the axle can hide more of the vibration than the front.
At least that's how I am figuring it.

You should have felt how bad it was, I thought the bike was going to start breaking off pieces. My front fender was flapping up and down like 3 inches. I stopped right away.

Did you put a full bottle in there?

JohnR.
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Between the two rear tires it took a whole bottle IIRC. It called for 11oz in each tire according to their calculator so that's what I put in it and that killed the whole bottle.

riverrat
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Why did you slime them? Are they the old tires or the new ones?
I followed the directions on the bottle, and don't remember the size of the bottle Chris gave me, but I put the whole thing in there according tot he directions. I am not sure how much I took out, but it was at least 10oz of liquid, which probably weighs more than 10oz. Wait I got a picture.....that was just the start of what I took out.

riverrat
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Well it's better, but still not good enough to go wide open. I probably didn't get enough out.
On a better note, the ice was unbelievable this morning. I looped my bike, that's a first, didn't think it could be done with the amount of bite I have, but the ice was crazy hard. Looping at that speed was a new experience for me, lol.

ChrisD
01-22-2010, 11:15 PM
It LIVES!!!!! I'll see you guys in the AM.

Bryan Raffa
01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
It LIVES!!!!! I'll see you guys in the AM.

Nice! Ill be out also.... take some pic's!

JohnR.
01-22-2010, 11:35 PM
AWESOME! We'll definitely snap some pics. Just got in from the yard, the trailer is loaded and ready to go. All I need in the morning is to look for my Carhart bib and grab a giant cup of coffee.

John

Bryan Raffa
01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
glad everyone is up and running...,,, keep them in one piece

JohnR.
01-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I hope to.

riverrat
01-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh love the sound of screaming two strokes in the morning!

JohnR.
01-23-2010, 07:26 PM
glad everyone is up and running...,,, keep them in one piece

You just had to say that didn't you!

Chris lost a top end today but the rest of us made it unscathed. He's got pics and video and so does riverrat, I'm sure they'll post up.

Bryan Raffa
01-23-2010, 08:30 PM
oh ..NO.............................................. ....................:(

ChrisD
01-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I ran lean at the end of the day and ate a piston. I don't understand why.....it ran well all day. It didn't end the party though I ran my other R today without a problem.

JohnR.
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Did you and Tom do any pulls with you on your FTZ motored R against his 330 TRX250R? I'd be curious how much the extra power is offset by the extra weight.

John

riverrat
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
My arms are dead!
I rode my ass off.

If i get a chance i'll post some video later.

JohnR.
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah some pics and video from you and Chris would be awesome. I really have to remember to bring my camera along and snap some shots. I'd like to get some good pics of my trike out on the ice while its all nice and clean.

ChrisD
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I gave my tape to riverrat. It's in his hands now.

I did not get to drag race Tom with the FTZ R. While he has more motor, he was only running 14/36 gears. My 85 can pull the 15/33 gears, so I may be able to top end him out.

JohnR.
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I figured that you had the gear to out do him on top. I'd like to see what would happen if you guys did a pull from a roll in like 4th or 5th. Not to top end but just to see who would walk on who.

riverrat
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Just uploaded the first video. I actually didn't take any pictures, only video. We should have lined up the 3 wheelers for a group photo, ahh next time.
I have some high def video, but I have to edit it, and then capture the tape Chris gave me tomorrow.
Anyway, here is some high speed footage. aka slo-mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCIRPrL72E

riverrat
01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELLM6GAHXhI

It's a 4 wheeler, sorry!

riverrat
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Yep, this weather is pissing me off. It better not melt the ice completely.

ChrisD
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Have you launched your boat yet?

The 330 is apart and off to the machine shop tomorrow. We'll see if the patient will live.

riverrat
01-25-2010, 10:42 PM
There is still 2inches of very soft ice left with lots of run-off pouring into it. There is a chance of it getting good, let's see.

riverrat
01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
My nieghbor snapped a few pictures

riverrat
01-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Finally finishing up ripping the video. I am going to post it in segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVD1NYA1Ljw