PDA

View Full Version : Can we afford to shoot anything else?

wheelie king
10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Who else shoots rimfire? Mainly .22 here. Hell, It's all I can afford to shoot anymore. I used to buy Remington Golden Bullets by the pallet.

Good thing I did.

Here's a pic of the Ruger 10/22 tricked out, and the Mossberg 144

harryredtrike
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
this is my baby,she cost me 100.00 everytime i take her out. .50 per round for 45 cal.

mopar_man
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I just bought a Crosman Quest 1000x that costs me $0.015/shot. Does that count? :lol:

Thorpe
10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
^^^ Uh, no... It doesnt count... I shoot my Smithy 40 alot... = expensive... I shoot my 7mm rem mag here and there... = expensive... My 17 hmr, often... = expensive... But my 22, man how I love it... 15 bucks a brick, and my thumb gives out from reloading, before my trigger finger ever does.... Anyone ever check out the sweet Aguila .22 LR Super Maximum 30-gr. HP Ammunition? Well worth the money IMO...

wheelie king
10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Gawd, ammo is expensive. I'd go broke with some of those guns above.

15 bucks a brick, and my thumb gives out from reloading, before my trigger finger ever does....

Yep- well said. I feed my 22 pistols and rifles bulk ammo mostly, but when I am feeling froggy, I'll run some Aguila stuff through it. The Aguila is not much more expensive than CCI mini mags and is great stuff.

ScottZJ
10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a marlin .22 that I love to plink targets and indeed its cheaper than shooting any of my Glocks. However, I still shoot my 45 and 357sig Glocks to keep practice on them and do my quals when needed, as I have 13 Glocks to choose from....hehe

http://www.fototime.com/{F6EC51DB-F09E-4C8C-9FCA-95847199DF53}/origpict/guns.jpg

K87_250ES
10-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I too have gone back to the .22LR, Walther P22, Ruger 10/22, and Marlin 39A.

Earlier this year I was shooting in IDPA and IPSC matches but I ran out of .40 in May and can't find anybody that sells the bullets that I use. Got some on backorder with MidwayUSA (since June) but they don't expect any until Nov. :(
None of the pistols on my door are cheap to shoot any more, especially the 44Mag Eagle, but its definitely fun. :naughty:

The Goat
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
we really aren't dealing with a bullet shortage down here too much anymore.

Every now and again I'll walk into walmart and they are out of 9mm...but even that's getting more rare.

I was shooting the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of my smith .22 for a while, till they sent out a recall, just never got around to shipping it in yet.

Dirtcrasher
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I know I mentioned it before, but my land borders a gun club on 60 or so acres. Hence the reason I can have an MX track in my yard :D

5 years ago, it was like the 4th of July every single day. So much, that it was driving me NUTS! There were some huge guns out there!!

Now, there is maybe 10-20% of that activity out there. Today was 65 and awesome outside and not a shot was heard, weird.......

I'm not sure if it's the cost of bullets or people not having jobs, but something changed.......

wheelie king
10-23-2009, 08:34 AM
I

Now, there is maybe 10-20% of that activity out there. Today was 65 and awesome outside and not a shot was heard, weird.......

I'm not sure if it's the cost of bullets or people not having jobs, but something changed.......

Probably a combination of many factors. Sounds like you are on the right track, though.

I cancelled most of my ammo that I had backordered from the bigger suppliers, like sportsmans guide, midway, etc. after about 9 months of waiting. That's ridiculous, I found a guy locally that does good, quality reloading and does it for fun, not really profit in mind. He enjoys sharing the sport, not exploiting people with the cost of ammo. I get 38 special and .45 from him.

My LE agency even has trouble getting enough .40 to go around, and when they do, they pay handsomely for it.

Wal mart seems to be hit or miss. The guy at the walmart counter said that the local gunshops were coming in there, buying up all the ammo, and then putting it on their shelves for double the $. Friggin crooks.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that 3 years ago, you could buy .40 target rounds for 9 bucks a box all day. Now you pay at least 15 bucks a box-- IF you can find it.................