PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever rebuild a tranny? (truck)

Escanabajosh
10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
i'm looking at getting a 95 dakota but reverse slips the guy said. i priced a rebuild kit and it's cheap, but i never did one befor. i was going to get a manual on it and give it a shot. it sucks ya cant test it befor ya put it in!

anyone ever do one? advice? i know it's a big job and a lot of people would just buy a junk yard one or have it done by a pro, but i'm laid off so it'll be somthing to try.

Thorpe
10-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I it a huge project to do... Not impossible, but definately huge... Some tranny shops have trans. dyno's that they can basically bench test a trans. before going through all the labor of reinstallation... Make a couple of calls to local shops, maybe you could have it dyno'd after your rebuild to make sure its all correct, before you put it back in your pickup...

racerxxx
10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I just did my GM 4L60e trans in my 97 Yukon 2 years ago. It was the very first automatic trans I ever did and it was gravy! A few of the hardparts were wasted, so I picked up a super clean used input drum and shaft on ebay for pennies on the dollar. I did all new clutches(frictions and steels), upgraded planetary 5 pinion rear palentary, beast sun shell, new convertor, and a corvette servo and the list goes on. I did the whole job for around $650-700 dollars. Find out what model the trans is and start looking for the video. I also bought the ATSG manual for the trans aswell. It was less nerve racking than I thought. I have about 12-13K on the trans now with ZERO issues.

http://www.technicalvideos.com/

I rented my DVD form www.smartflix.com

Mosh
10-24-2009, 10:10 AM
It will make a difference on what model trans is in that truck.

But before pulling it out and rebuilding it, they have problems with the reverse band going out of adjustment, and some models had problems with the reverse servo damaging the spacer plate in the valve body.That will require removing the valve body in the pan, and that in itself is a big job. It could have up to 10 small checkballs that sit in cavities.Losse one of those during service, and it is curtains.
Either one of those problems can be repaired, without a complete rebuild.
The band can be adjusted on the vehicle.

The other problem would require a updated spacer plate and check ball and reverse servo kit, that a trans shop should be able to get for you.

Also first check the basics..Fluid level, and linkage adjustment.
If it slips in reverse,and some forward gears, then your direct clutches are worn and a rebuild will be needed.

Transmissions are a huge job..And I wouldnt recommend it for even a well seasoned shadetree or even a novice auto mechanic, without the proper tools and service manual.Some trans's are easy to rebuild.Others are alot more involved.
I wrenched on Cars professionally for over 10 years before I attempted my first trans rebuild, and I had a seasoned rebuilder training me and watching me the whole way thru the job.
The attention to detail that is needed, has to be top notch.
There are special tools, seal installers, piston installers, seal sizers, direct clutch spring compressors, and the list goes on and on, that are needed to rebuild one.
The require a huge work area to lay all the parts on.
Every Item has to have the proper clearence,and has to be air checked before installing the trans.
1 Small O-ring, shim, or spacer missed, or damaged and you will have waisted 20 hours of time and your money for a trans that still wont move when you are done.

Escanabajosh
10-24-2009, 10:21 AM
thanks for the info guys.

mosh thanks, thats good to know about them bands i'll have to check that first.

i'm trading my 2001 blaster for a 95 dakota theres the tranny thing and a couple dents in the box and a 1995 saturn (not sure what it needs) both run and drive. plan on fixing the truck to keep and sell the saturn.

i think i'll take it out my self and see if i can find someone to do it for me (tranny mech.) if it ends up being shot.

heck i might just not park where i need to use reverse...lol

Banage
10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
park facing uphill