PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the cops in this part of the country?

LonesomeTriZ
10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I feel the need to vent. I have always been an advocate for respecting Police Officers because they have such a dangerous and thankless job. Considering I am taking the entrance exam on Monday to get into the Police academy, I think it is clear I do have an enormous respect for them myself. Well, for the professional Law Enforcement Officers any way. I was raised In a Law Enforcement family, becoming a cop is all I have really wanted. All the Law Enforcement Officers I have been friends with over the years and had known back home were professional and good cops. They did not flaunt their power or use their job to make up for other inadequacies. All I have seen so far in GA and AL are the other end of the spectrum. They are the kind of cops I hope to NEVER be. Even the few I have almost become friends with up here disgusts me with the way they view their job. I know every agency has bad cops that is just basic group dynamics. I also know the majority of Law Enforcement Officers nationwide are professional and do their job with pride and a respect for the community. It is very unfortunate that the majority of LEO’s I have seen in this area are not like that at all. I cannot help but wonder if the training standards in this area are reflective of the behavior I have witnessed.

I do have to say, once back when I was having doubts about a career in law a very good friend told mine he saw it has a challenge to prove there are indeed good cops out there and it was a challenge he welcomed. That statement got me back on track with my dream of becoming a professional Law Enforcement Officer.

wheelie king
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
You get a little bit of that everywhere, but there are some agencies in the area you are talking about where you are VERY correct.

It's a shame.

May I NEVER be one of "those"

LonesomeTriZ
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I was planning on going to Florida to attend the Academy down there. But we just could not raise the money and I have got to get to work soon. So, I am starting the process up here. I will not behave the way I have seen others behave in this area I plan to work with pride and a respect to the community. I hope to set an example. But it sure is disheartening to see that is not the norm up here. I had a run in with an off duty AL cop today. I told him he is the reason the public treats LEO’s the way they do.

skippy
10-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Perhaps I can offer some personal advice.. I am a recently retired officer from Baltimore..pm me w any questions..

LonesomeTriZ
10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I have heard good things about the Law Enforcement up there.

DixiePlowboy
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
I know that in this part of Alabama there's a whole lot of power-tripping going on. I personally know several young local officers that were picked on in school who seem to be trying to get back at the world while behind a badge.

There's quite a bit of "Do whatever I say because I'm a cop" going on around here. Zero respect begets zero respect, in what I agree, is often a dangerous and thankless profession.

Still some good ones mind you, but they seem to be the older generation nearing(or past) retirement age. It's unfortunate that the gung-ho punks and psyco-authoritarians are causing trouble for the good ones.

300rman
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
being a cop is like working in lost luggage....its always "you versus them", at least in a traffic cop standpoint. i can see that it would be a real pain in the ass job, i'd prefer to be SWAT or something that didnt require me to write traffic tickets...

LonesomeTriZ
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I know that in this part of Alabama there's a whole lot of power-tripping going on. I personally know several young local officers that were picked on in school who seem to be trying to get back at the world while behind a badge.

There's quite a bit of "Do whatever I say because I'm a cop" going on around here. Zero respect begets zero respect, in what I agree, is often a dangerous and thankless profession.

Still some good ones mind you, but they seem to be the older generation nearing(or past) retirement age. It's unfortunate that the gung-ho punks and psyco-authoritarians are causing trouble for the good ones.

Agreed man. That is the sort of thing I am seeing on this end. I am right on the GA/AL line and neither side is showing much difference. I asked that cop the other day what they are being taught in the academy becuase it would seem to be way too common.

LonesomeTriZ
10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
being a cop is like working in lost luggage....its always "you versus them", at least in a traffic cop standpoint. i can see that it would be a real pain in the ass job, i'd prefer to be SWAT or something that didnt require me to write traffic tickets...

I use to feel the same way. I just wanted to be the guy that kicked in the door not the one who had to figure out who did what. But my mentality has change (as well as my ability to kick in doors) and now I want to be the guy who figures out who did what. My goal is to be an investigator. Maybe even an arson investigator because I hear those are the toughest crimes to solve.

harryredtrike
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
good luck in your new profession,lonesome.attitudes are like cancer,they spread.so maybe your good attitude and high morals will also be infectious

LonesomeTriZ
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
God I hope so. I cannot stand working with dirt bags. Especaily dirtbags with authority. I got enough of that in Iraq.

The Goat
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I will say that the police force around here is nothing but good ol local boys, good ol boys from texas (LA is a training ground for them) and poor african americans.

It's at times mind boggling. I'll get pulled over sometimes for some traffic violation that didn't occur, or I'll get a warning when quite frankly I should have gotten a ticket.

I've spent a night in jail for being white at the wrong place and time...and then the next morning as the white shift comes on (yes, shifts are still for the large part segregated...not by law, everyone just likes to be on with the people they know) been released instantly as I hear shouts of "YOU DID WHAT!".

I worked at the local jail in highschool for a while working in the auto shop with the trustees, so I know most of the older cops...but it gets old. Very old when some punk kid from Texas who's two years younger than I crosses onto our land to kill time and thinks his badge means he can ignore posted signs and gates...

Good luck to you, my gf stepdad is a retired firechief, said detecting arson is always easy, figuring out who did it was a job he never wanted. lol

ScottZJ
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
i'd prefer to be SWAT or something that didnt require me to write traffic tickets...

That is what I do part time, is tactical training, SWAT Team training and K9 unit training. They have been begging me to go back full time officer, but I just cant see me leaving my Mon-Fri desk job with killer pay, for it. It is truely a thankless job, however I do enjoy the training aspect of it.

LonesomeTriZ
10-26-2009, 01:22 PM
When I got a taste of investigations while I was in Iraq I wanted more when I got home. I would like to try a little bit of everything during my career, but I no longer require a rush.

SYKO
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM
I smell bacon.....

85Tecate
10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I smell bacon.....

I smell pork, come out piggies i got a fork!

On the side note, a few years ago there was 1 particular officer that would pull me over every single time he seen me driving. Needless to say he only works part-time now. That guy was on such a power trip it was unreal. Alot of teenagers had the same problems with him. It's like he focused on the young kids and the hell with everyone else. Even pulling me over in a PRIVATE parking lot, gotta love it.

I think he busted me a total of 5 times within a yr. My liscense ended up getting barred and i paid a little over 4000$ just to get them back last month. My brother had rounds with him at a party as well, so he started targetting him also.

LonesomeTriZ
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
If you were targeted even though you did nothing wrong I would suggest doing something about it.

wheelie king
10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
My goal is to be an investigator. Maybe even an arson investigator because I hear those are the toughest crimes to solve.

Wow. That made me feel warm and fuzzy, Louis. As a Certified Law Enforcement Officer, and I have been an LEO for nearly a decade- and achieving the level of Fire/Arson/Explosions Investigator II, I am humbled that you aspire to do what I do.

It does suck from the standpoint of "whodunnit" when the situation is a "Charlie Foxtrot'. There is what you know-- and what you can prove. But being the guy that everyone looks to for figuring the what, why, how, and WHO-- It's a good feeling when you get your guy.

Get a firm base in Law Enforcement and rack up some good gum and shoe police work under your belt- then specialize in an area. Trust me. :)

inv3ctiv3
10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I have never seen a worse police force then in Texas, I was arrested there this past summer while visiting my family's ranch that I grew up on every summer. I got arrested for a charge I never received, long story short I had gotten pulled over the prior x-mas for no registration and no insurance in my brothers truck. The truck had insurance so they dropped that charge, I paid over $900 in fees to get the no registration stuff cleared up, we called a week in advance to my being there this summer to make sure everything was ok and they said I was good to go. My friend got pulled over for "no front plate" (the cop knew we weren't from there by our car and wanted to see what was up basically). He ran all of our ID's and I got arrested for a warrant I had for failure to appear in court on the no insurance charge, a charge that was dropped and I never got. I ended up staying in jail for a couple of hours and paid another $355 and was treated with no respect at all by the officers. trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro Lampassas county cops, bunch of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro rednecks with nothing to do.

ants84olds
10-27-2009, 01:33 AM
the young cops around where i am at are all on a power trip and think they are better than everyone else just because they have a badge. they are the ones that got picked on when they were young and now take it out on everyone else.

DixiePlowboy
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I have never seen a worse police force then in Texas, I paid over $900 in fees + $355....etc.

It's not just Texas.

Before I make my next statement, let me say: There are GOOD cops and bad cops...there are useful laws, there are laws that serve little to no purpose other than to rack up income(a.k.a. $$$$) for the entity/dept./whomever gets the money, and there are "laws" that are outright unconstitutional.

There are times I'd be glad to see an officer. Being pretty much good and flying below the radar other times, I have no trouble with the law.

But, I do know people who behave themselves pretty well that get harassed and sometimes, unjustly fined and/or arrested. There are also plenty of bad guys getting away with or getting off light on REAL charges and convictions.

I sometimes see why law enforcement is viewed by some as a racket backed by armed thugs. We need more good apples in law enforcement....such as it seems Lonesome Tri-Z aspires to be.

BTW, any LEO here checked out http://www.oathkeepers.org?

LonesomeTriZ
10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I got a little taste of an arson case while I was in Iraq and even though I was far from the lead on it, I still got a real good idea as to what is involved. I worked fatalities and for some reason the arson thing seemed like a better fit. However, I do want to spend some time on Patrol first.

I have heard many stories like that before. I even had a couple of close calls becuase of a mistake made by some one else. I can see how that would make some one develope harsh feelings to Law Enforcement in general.

I could not agree more about the laws. I wish some one would go through and update the laws we now have and get rid of the ones we no longer need. That looks like an interesting link by the way.

I took my entrance exam yesterday and did very well. So now the ball is rolling. I will get my two back ground checks started tomorrow. Now if only I can find people to say goof things about me so I can use them as referrences.

harryredtrike
11-02-2009, 02:32 AM
congrats on your test,one step closer.

LonesomeTriZ
11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I have made a few more in recent days. Today I have a few things to do but I think the first wave of paper work will be turned in by lunch.

hondahaulic
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
my previous small hometown, pop. 3000 or so, just recently adopted a law that lets an officer pull over anyone for absolutely no reason within city limits. Absolutely no probable cause is required. I personally consider this unconstitutional and I think the officers need to find something better to do.

LonesomeTriZ
11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
That sounds very strange. Are you sure there is not more to it than that?

hondahaulic
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
That sounds very strange. Are you sure there is not more to it than that?

My thoughts exactly. I am looking online right now and I can't seem to find information on it, but I do know the idea was to cut down on drunk driving and things like that. Now its pretty easy for cops to pick on highschool kids, and its easier to give them tickets for things like driving after curfew and things like that. The town is Garner, Iowa.

DixiePlowboy
11-02-2009, 11:09 PM
my previous small hometown, pop. 3000 or so, just recently adopted a law that lets an officer pull over anyone for absolutely no reason within city limits. Absolutely no probable cause is required. I personally consider this unconstitutional and I think the officers need to find something better to do.

Makes me wonder; IF smiling were possible in hell, who would be grinning more at the Police State we have become...Hitler? Stalin? Mao?

In a manner of speaking, we(AL) got such a law several years ago. It's called the "seat belt" law.

An officer used to have to have some sort of probable cause or reasonable suspicion to pull you over and try to stick you with a fine, ....etc.. Now, they just claim you weren't wearing your seat belt, hit the strobes, and BANG.....you're the next paying customer. Try not to fidget while your name/ss# is being run through the Terrorist Screening Center database.

Of course, right about then, a motorcyclist blows past at 65-70 mph.....and of course, HE'S not wearing a seatbelt :rolleyes: :confused:

LonesomeTriZ
11-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I do not agree with the seat belt thing at all. Keep in mind, the laws are not created by the cops. They are just tasked with enforcing them. There are a lot of LEO's out there who do not agree with them either.

Kintore
11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I had a cop up here tell me something ill never forget.

My truck has 3 dead give aways for me being 16-25 and a male

1- Dual exhaust
2- Stickers
3- CB whip

And boy he is right, I get pulled over on a regular basis, probably 2 or more times a month just for being suspicious. Ive learned to deal with it, but man my next vehicle is going to be as plain as they come!

But there is a upside to this, I know I cant do anything illegal really, (drink and drive, not wear a belt...etc).

LonesomeTriZ
11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Some times there is a good reason for pulling some over that is suspicous. Some cops have been on the road long enough they can spot some one who should be pulled over whether or not they have committed a traffic violation.

DixiePlowboy
11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I do not agree with the seat belt thing at all. Keep in mind, the laws are not created by the cops. They are just tasked with enforcing them. There are a lot of LEO's out there who do not agree with them either.

The LEO's that don't agree with them and don't exploit them are good in my book.

Quite a few local depts. have quotas, though, and take advantage of every opportunity to pull someone over and write a ticket(or worse) if they can. They have to in order to keep their jobs. Policing for many is just about making money off citizens.

I disagree with any mechanism that allows for the hindrance and/or detention of anyone just based on an officer's gut feeling. We live in a free society regardless of what modern revisionism teaches. Citizens should never be encumbered by Gestapo checkpoints or tactics unless we intend to announce our change from Liberty-based to Police State openly....and there are millions of us that would fight to keep that from happening.

Unfortunately, some bad folks slip by in a freedom based system....such as we are supposed to be.....but I'll take that risk anyday over a system that can stop, detain, etc... someone based on gut feeling and mere suspicion(check the MIAC report and see how many millions of us could be considered Enemies of the State if DHS and this out-of-control federal system had it's way).

I guess the most important thing I would consider, were I getting back into law enforcement, is that the Nazi underling officers weren't cut any slack at Nuremburg when they offered the defense that they "were just following orders".

LonesomeTriZ
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I cannot speak for all agencies across the nation, but from what I knowand learned the Quote thing is a wives tale. Yes, I am sure there are some less than honest agencies that encourage thier LEO's to fill quotas,but I know they are not common in the area I grew up in.

DixiePlowboy
11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
I cannot speak for all agencies across the nation, but from what I knowand learned the Quote thing is a wives tale. Yes, I am sure there are some less than honest agencies that encourage thier LEO's to fill quotas,but I know they are not common in the area I grew up in.

For the sake of accuracy, I shouldn't have said "quite a few" locally have quotas, but I do know of two local depts. that do business that way.

LonesomeTriZ
11-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I wish I had answer for those agencies. I agree, quotas are just plain wrong. I like ot think agencies that have them are rare and phasing out.

Aka_am
11-04-2009, 10:40 PM
The police around here enforce the laws, even though they do the same things while not in uniform. Is this really are things should be?

wheelie king
11-04-2009, 10:51 PM
The police around here enforce the laws, even though they do the same things while not in uniform. Is this really are things should be?

Anything to back that up? I mean, really???? Like WHAT??????????????

............... Well, I kinda thought the thread would 'de-rail' and turn into this.

Orig posted by Aka_am : "is this really are things should be?" ------what????????????

Mosh
11-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I generally do not get tangled up with the law, becuase I follow the rules..

But in my younger days, I had a few run ins with them over traffic violations.

Now that I am older I hear and see of certain LEO's being rude, but I also look at it this way..
In a LEO'S line of work, most of the time they deal with rude inconsiderate, rebellious,scumbags..All day, everyday..For every 50 of those bad encounters, they might have a pleasant encounter,such as getting a cat out of a tree..
After dealing with that day in and day out, I can see where they would tend to feel that most people they come in contact with, will at some point fall into one of those less desired categories..
Even the most mild mannered average joe, getting stopped for a minor traffic violation, will escalate the matter to a level of drama and arguing, why they should not get a ticket for breaking the rules.
Get that moderating this forum from time to time..:lol:

If you are a garbage man long enough, You hate garbage.
If you are a mechanic long enough, eventually most cars are POS's..
If you are a cop long enough dealing with scumbags, it would be easy to feel that most people are going to be scumbags.
In most cases, If that is the way they feel, I cant say I blame them entirely for feeling that way..
The last time I got pulled over, I was polite, I broke the law for speeding and had no seat belt on..
He said since I was honest and polite, He would drop the speeding ticket, to save me insurance costs and points, but had to fine me 50$ for the seat belt..
I did'nt whine and cry over it, I deserved it, and felt fortunate, he did'nt nail me to the wall on both violations..

LonesomeTriZ
11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Mosh you brought up a very good point. However, I have to point out something that may contradict that. My dad was with Hillsborough County Sherriff’s Office for over 25 years until he died. Growing up I was very involved with his activities and his friends who were all deputies. I could tell the difference between my dad’s attitude and theirs. We would actually run into people when he was off duty that he arrested. These people would thank him for treating them with respect even though he was arresting them. He did not have the retired on duty attitude at all. He dealt with scum bags but still treated every one equally and respectfully. I guess that is one reason he made it home after every shift. The funny part is when I was in high school and then afterwards when I was waiting to go into the Marine Corps I took on various labor intensive jobs. Most of the people I worked with had a criminal record. Whenever my dad would show up at a job site to meet me for lunch some of them would recognize him. Then they would spend the rest of the week telling me what a great guy and cop he is because he was respectful to them. That is correct, I worked with people he arrested and they said good things about him. So while I can understand why some cops have the attitude they do I do not accept it as an excuse to be a prick.

Mosh
11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I cant agree with you more..And your right, all people should be treated with respect..
I dont know if you have seen the movie Colors, with Robert Duval, but het gets a new young partner that wants to be aggressive with every gang member/criminal or person he comes in contact with.It doesnt do any good for the new recruit...They all want to kill him..

The older cop, takes the friendly approach, be friends some of the criminals,and they actually help the older cop out becuase of those respectful methods he uses.
Which is the way it should work..

It sounds as if the guilty parties finally woke up and learned the error of their ways, and it sounds like your Dad may have made a huge positive impact on them to change thier ways, by being humane with them and polite..
But keep this in mind too, Your Dad was a Officer in a different era, and generation..
Peoples attitudes were less aggressive, and less in numbers than these days.
As a cop, 20-30-40 years ago, you didnt have to worry about a 15 year old kid busting out a gun on you..At least the chances were way lower.
Now, a nice looking late middle aged man, could be a raging lunatic waiting to snap..
People have become so aggressive and disrespectful for the law, it is almost constant.
I aint defending, the nastier cops at all..
But the one thing that would be so hard to deal with is, be a good cop, come across the worst case scenario, and 4 hours later, try to be nice to the next guy..Man that would take patience that many do not have..And that is what I meant by the dealing with scumbags, making them think the next guy "may" be the same way.

LonesomeTriZ
11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree, there is no right answer for the situation as it is. Cops are human and when you add the human facter to any situation imperfection is always the result. I just wish the training standards would focus more on preventing that attitude in the first place.

hinddee29
11-05-2009, 03:36 PM
The last time I got pulled over, I was polite, I broke the law for speeding and had no seat belt on..

Was this before or after I was hauling your butt home from riding and the State Trooper pulled us over and searched and treated be like one of America's most wanted?:wondering
I can understand for always being on guard. You never know what's going to happen when you walk up to a car or person. I'm really not sure where the I'm all that is coming from? Seems to be every.

I worked with a guy over the summer that was an MP in the Army for I think 16 years and an east cleveland cop for a few years. He loved it, but after while he noticed that most of these cops where worse than the scumbags on the street.
He started to get a bad attitude and couldn't take it anymore and he got out.
This bad ass attitude has to be installed while in training.
Like back in the day you used to hear all the time that a Marine would walk around with a chip on his should because they would think he was a bad ass. Granted this is true they are, but I haven't noticed it in a very long time.

Lonesome you haven't been able to find something in the Gov., like in Homeland Security, or Border Patrol?
You where active a one point right? You get hurt at all getting a disabilty from the VA? I have a 20% rating with the VA and they put me in a program called chapter 31 (voc rehab) they are paying for me to change my career and paying my to go to school. Going for Homeland Security Information Technology. They have other opition and well. It will take some digging, but check and see if you have any options there. Go talk with your Veterans Service Commision in your county if you already haven't they call help you a lot with all kinds of things. I hear the VA has all kinds of options, but you have to find them and ask about them the less that know the more money the heads get as a bonus.

Sorry for going off topic.

Shane

Mosh
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
:lol:
Was this before or after I was hauling your butt home from riding and the State Trooper pulled us over and searched and treated be like one of America's most wanted?:wondering
:lol:
Nahh I got the seat belt ticket after that deal..

But yeah that guy WAS a DIK...
He was totally ticked off he couldnt nail me with a DUI..Becuase I did the right thing and had you as a Designated driver..
shens

LonesomeTriZ
11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I also have a 20% rating from the VA. I also signed up for VOCREHAB as well. My plan is to do a couple of years at a local agency, get some time in, and work on my Master's. During that I am going ot get cought up on some stuff then apply at Homeland Security.

LonesomeTriZ
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
:lol: :lol:
Nahh I got the seat belt ticket after that deal..

But yeah that guy WAS a DIK...
He was totally ticked off he couldnt nail me with a DUI..Becuase I did the right thing and had you as a Designated driver..shens

That sort of thing would make me happy to see.

Mosh
11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I was doing the right thing..
The State trooper asked "why is he driving your truck?"

I said because I had been drinking.
Then the guy just got real crappy..

As much as you would think I got upset with the guy for him being rude, Inside I was LMAO because I knew, he could not get me in trouble..

Even Hinddee was being treated like crap,and this was after he showed the cop his Military ID, bone sober, and yet he still treated him bad too..

He asked Hinddee what was the cooler for on the back of the quad?
Hinddee was like "Beer...He told you that.."

Just to clarify, we were in My truck, with 2 quads on a trailer coming home from a ride spot..Totally legit..The cop said my trailer lights were not working that is why he stopped us..
I asked If I could get out and check the connection, and the Cop Literally screamed at me to stay in the truck..
He said when I leave you can get out of the truck.
He left, I went back and pushed the connector back together and the lights came on.Must have got disconnected loading the bikes..:rolleyes:

so yeah, I aint defending fools like this cop was.;)

They do prolly train cops in undesired ways..

They train them to ask you trick questions like..

"Is that your book bag, mind If i take a look in it?"All in one sentence..

Asking 2 questions in the same breath to try to entrap you into giving them permission to search your bag, by just answering the 1st question that Yes, it is my bag..

LonesomeTriZ
11-05-2009, 07:43 PM
With out knowing both sides it does sound like he was a prick fo rno reason. But then again the question has to be asked, why did he feel the need to behave that way in the first place? I am not defedning his actions, I am just saying there are always three sides to every story.

Mosh
11-05-2009, 09:54 PM
With out knowing both sides it does sound like he was a prick fo rno reason. But then again the question has to be asked, why did he feel the need to behave that way in the first place? I am not defedning his actions, I am just saying there are always three sides to every story.
Maybe hinddee29 will chime in on this..He is completely neutral, and I think he got razzed more than me, all for being a designated driver..And I aint kidding either..
It was the one and only time, I have seen a cop act the way this one did..

LonesomeTriZ
11-05-2009, 10:00 PM
If it was me, I would have reported him to his surperviser. Yeah I know nothing may come of it. But if every one he interacted with felt the way you did and they reported him eventually he would be looked at and hopefully corrected. That is one of the biggest issues with the public. A dirtbag cop continues being a dirt bag becuase people have the beleif that nothing will happen if they complain. True, your complaint may fall on deaf years. But what if you are the tenth person to complain ot ten more follow your lead? That can be a double edged sword though. I hate seeing good cops getting complaints simply for doing thier job.

Mosh
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I prolly should have reported him, but ya know..I just let it go.
Whatever was making him act like that.....

maybe he had some big problems, with Family sick dad or wife or kid, finances, his job...Etc..Man sometimes people just have a bad day, and as long as it didnt directly affect my life, live and let live..

You never know.
Or maybe he was just a d-bag..In which case, at his age of mid 30's, prolly nothing, me or anyone else can do will change that guy's personality..
So why waist my time?

Contrary to the way I come off on the message forums sometimes, I do try to look at every point of view before I make a judgement call.

hinddee29
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I really don't know whe did the right thing. We answered his questions and didn't act like some smart asses.

He told me to get out of the truck and go over to his car. Then told me to put my hand on the car and spread my legs. So then he searched me.
Is this sop before you can get into the car??
Then seemed pissed I wasn't carrying. Told me to get into the car, and then started drilling me question on where, when, why. Like he was trying to catch me in a lie. My id can back clean. Told not to move the truck untill we get one brake light working. Then he said get out of my car. then spead off into the night.
Is it normal to leave some down and out like that?
He was a quad rider and I think it pissed him off Rob was drinking while riding.

LonesomeTriZ
11-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, that could be part of it. Even though most cops are trained to leave there personal oppinions behind, he may have indeed had a problem with riding and drinking. I know I do. Maybe he thought if you all were doing that you may also be dong something else. I was not there so I am not taking either side. I am just saying he may have felt justified in his behavier and if he wasn't, he needs to stop behaving in that manner. I would have given both of you a lecture on how drinking and riding effects all riders. That is the extent I would have allowed my personal feelings to get involved.

The Goat
11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
around here ya just look, smile, laugh, and then take whatever they write you to the sheriff.

I've seen an offduty cop purposely try to start a fight in a bar parking lot, because he knew his cop buddies were there. A girl started yelling at her and he palmed her in the neck with the web of his hand. Her husband beat his roided ass into the ground. And then the cops walked over and arrested him...and then proceeded to draw firearms and circle around the guy they arrested while threatening the crowd with arrest if they didn't leave.

Half the crowd called 911...the other half called the sheriff's office. But 20 officers testified that the husband started it, and he went to jail for it.

That cop still gets his ass kicked by that guy's family any time he shows up to a bar.

Mosh
11-06-2009, 01:06 PM
We were 5 miles from a PRIVATE riding area..Private property...
At no time did I ever state I was riding and drinking..
He asked why I wasnt driving my truck,at that time I told Him I HAD been drinking...I never said that I was drinking while riding my ATV...And I dont think Hindee stated that to him..

In any sense, Hinddee doesnt drink, and he did nothing wrong, so the attitude towards him, was purely uncalled for..
So his assumption that I WAS drinking While riding, was purely Speculation..
He had no evidence I was drinking while riding the ATV...

For all he knew, I could have rode, put the bike away and drank after riding..
So in the cops mind, I was guilty, of a crime he never witnessed?
Guilty til proven innocent...

skippy
11-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Well I guess I can chime in. AS I spoke in the past, there are good cops and bad cops in all departments. Put yourself in his shoes, with his training and his background.(you can't!) Citizens interpret situations based on their training(well no training) and there interpretation of the laws. Discretion is the heart of police work. You have to make the best determination of the situation/outcome based on what you see right then.

When I shot and killed a suspect, the situation was evaluated over and over again by numerous others. But one thing they had to look at was what I knew at the time. The facts then, and my training with background.

I have been stopped numerous times, riding and driving by police. Some times the cop was professional, sometimes not. Once they found out I was a cop, things changed. But remember you would not be stopped unless the cop thought you were doing something wrong. So they have to investigate the incident at the time of the stop, and learn as they go!

LonesomeTriZ
11-06-2009, 08:31 PM
That is what I was getting at. Maybe he assumed you did something wrong se he felt the need to find something he could prove. I am not sying it was right, I am jst trying to understand it better.

I agree, most of the time the LEO feel he or she is legally justified to make a stop in the first place.