PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Motor???

speed20
08-06-2003, 03:07 PM
I was thinking about some ways to keep my motor as cool as possible...and was wondering if i sandblasted it....if that would help??? (taking the black paint off of it)

Kilborg
08-06-2003, 04:02 PM
While it works in theory, it doesnt all come out the same in real world situations. The paint on the engine is high temp, and is formulated to help keep the engine as cool as it would be with the paint as it would be without, if not cooler (this is a greater factor as years go up, as the formulas for high temperature paint has improved).

200x Basket
08-07-2003, 12:08 AM
While it works in theory, it doesnt all come out the same in real world situations. The paint on the engine is high temp, and is formulated to help keep the engine as cool as it would be with the paint as it would be without, if not cooler (this is a greater factor as years go up, as the formulas for high temperature paint has improved).

i would like to see some proof on that. almost anything between the heat source (engine) and the heat sink (air) will lower the rate of heat transfer. i actually think that it would be impossible to speed it up.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-07-2003, 01:01 AM
most of the "paint" on the engine isnt really paint at all most of it is a ceramic and cermaic tiles are what NASA uses on the space shuttle for re-entering because it cools down soo fast ;) now this doesnt apply to al types of paint on every engine but some i know have ceramic paint.

200x Basket
08-07-2003, 01:27 AM
most of the "paint" on the engine isnt really paint at all most of it is a ceramic and cermaic tiles are what NASA uses on the space shuttle for re-entering because it cools down soo fast ;) now this doesnt apply to al types of paint on every engine but some i know have ceramic paint.

NASA uses those tiles because they do not transfer heat. just the opposite of what we want to do. the tiles act as a shield to the inner structure. that would be why the shuttle burned up on entry from the loss of a few tile on the leading edge of its wing

TeCaTe_MaN
08-07-2003, 05:09 AM
no, i was watching a show about this....discovery i think and this guy had a blow torch on one of these tiles and it was glowing red hot and he just grabbed it and held it in his had....it is because it cools down so fast

ATC crazy
08-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I saw that show too Tecate_Man.....but I agree with Basket.

it was glowing red hot and he just grabbed it and held it in his had....it is because it cools down so fast

If it was glowing red...then it wasn't cooled down :D Those tiles were made so they wouldn't transfer heat...thats why he could pick it up with his hands and not get burned, because the the heat wasn't being transfered to his fingers

PS: I work with 2 people who used to make those tiles

TeCaTe_MaN
08-09-2003, 05:09 PM
oh well, maybe i heard something wrong :? oh well, im not gonna do a re-entry on my bike so i dont care anyway...

jeswinehart
08-11-2003, 11:50 PM
i sand blasted my motors (250es + 350x),,, polished the big red one, painted the x one. both run cool ( by my wrinkled butt way of riding).

mr.atc more then likely could be me anywhere riding my bigred + me on my x,,,,,
but !!! good news,,, i saved a bundle on car insurance going with geiko !

lmao,,, john

jeswinehart
08-11-2003, 11:51 PM
i sand blasted my motors (250es + 350x),,, polished the big red one, painted the x one. both run cool ( by my wrinkled butt way of riding).

mr.atc more then likely could beat me anywhere riding my bigred + me on my x,,,,,
but !!! good news,,, i saved a bundle on car insurance going with geiko !

lmao,,, john

Wickedfinger
08-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Good Grief!! ... you guys are killing me with this topic straying!!!. I'm spliting out the irrelevent stuff.

BLAZERONE22
08-12-2003, 01:42 AM
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but sometimes I enjoy topics straying, if I wanted to see just facts I'd read my 350x shop manual. Other people opions are interesting. as long as its not insulting or demeaning. just my 2 cents. To help on the task on hand, what kind of bike motor are you trying to keep cool? if its a 350x I'm trying to rig up a dual cooler system for the project bike. seems like it gets real warm out on the dunes. right now I'm trying to figure how much if any presure is built up in the lines. I want to make it look good also. not jury rigged.

speed20
08-12-2003, 01:50 AM
its an 1984 200x....but its bored over .050 :/

BLAZERONE22
08-12-2003, 02:02 AM
I saw a oil cooler for the 200x's on ebay about 6 weeks ago. I wonder what and where it hooks up.