PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Sparkplugs?

TeCaTe_MaN
08-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Do you think it is good or bad to sandblast plugs, why?

short4stuff
08-07-2003, 10:15 PM
If it works and saves you money than why wouldn't you?????

Save all of the money you can!

speed20
08-08-2003, 12:16 AM
My Dad and I talked to a guy that lives around freemont (we were at a go-kart race) and he ran 2 cycles back in the day....he used to take like wire cutters or soemthing, and cut a V at the end of the plug gap spot. and he also used to take little pill bottles and drill a hole the size of a plug....put sand in the bottle, screw the plug in and shake it....he said his wife has a picture of him diggin around a junkyard looking for plugs... :?

Dan Tenn
08-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Holy crap. clean out the change in the couch and go get a couple plugs you tight a$$es.

TimSr
08-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Whne you have a whole stable full of 2 strokes, and a couple of 4 strokes using several different plugs, that a lot of change in a couch! I keep two clean spares in the van for everything, and thats about 20 plugs!

Dave
08-08-2003, 10:34 PM
cleaning plugs work fine for me until they get excessive wear ... then I will replace them.

I would likely replace more often if I didnt have to drive 43 miles to buy new plugs from where I live... I always buy a couple extra .. but they seem to go quick with the neighborhood kids always *needing* a plug every time I just get done buying some.

yater
08-08-2003, 10:45 PM
In my case today, I'd kill for a sandblaster. I was tuning both of my carbs and they were way rich. I went through about 4 plugs each (well, in the last few days) but could have just cleaned 'em at least until I got things runnin' right--then put in the fresh one. I'm not cheap but it makes sense.

Dirtcrasher
08-10-2003, 10:32 AM
I have a friend who could not jet his KX to save his life - He would kill a plug every ride. So he asked me to sandblast some for him. I have a pressurized sandblaster and a sparkplug blaster. I tried 2 grades of sand and it got them spotless but no matter how much digging I did - I could not get all the teenie tiny sand granules out of way up inside the electrode area. I'd blow air in it, carb spray - pick at it etc, but always had a grain or 2 left over in there. I'm certain they will fall out and into the cylinder once it's running and nothing in the combustion chamber is any good for a motor. Don't sandblast plugs or anything else that will ever be near a bearing or seal. I'd never sandblast a motor unless it was totally stripped - that sand gets in everything and stays!!

bakeban
08-10-2003, 11:02 AM
we have a spark plug cleaner at the farm and i havent had one problem with a spark plug that has been cleaned by it.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-10-2003, 02:10 PM
the guy that sandblasts plugs for me uses a reallly fine grade of sand...it doesnt get stuck in plugs