PDA

View Full Version : Good bmx bicycle

smokinwrench
11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I am shopping for bikes for my 11 year old for Christmas. Back when I was young, diamond back, redline, gt, mongoose were the bikes to have. I knew that mongoose sold out and became a cheap bike years ago, today I called a bike shop in Wichita and found out that GT is also owned by the same company that builds all of the cheaper bikes. They told me Haro is now the bike to own.

I know we have lots of young users on here and wanting your opinions on this. I am wanting a bike that will be good for him jumping, doing some tricks. He is fairly hard on his bikes, his current bike has a bent frame. I'm tired of buying walmart bikes and having them be junk in a year or so. I'm wanting to stay under $300. Do I need a freestyle, or race setup?

thanks
Josh

posty2100
11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Haro's are decent bikes, to me their like 200x's in the 3WW. They are good and get the job done. But I would recommend like DK, Hoffman, Specialized, Eastern, or FBM. They are a little more expensive bikes but you get what you pay for like anything else. I used to be big into bikes when I was in my teens. Used to dirtjump mostly and ride in skatepark alot and some BMX. Freestyle or racing bike really isnt a whole lot of difference to be. Depends on what used for. For BMX of course a racing bike would be good because they are usually lighter and are designed better for racing. Freestyle bikes would be more for riding in a skatepark and doing like flatland tricks. I found both style bikes are similar you just get used to it whatever it is. Buying a walmart bike is like buying a chinese quad or trike basically.

Heres a good site I used to buy alot of parts and bikes from.

http://www.danscomp.com/

smokinwrench
11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Local bike shop has specalized and hoffman and I think either can be had for under 300.

He likes the looks of the old school bikes, I have seen some nib old bikes on ebay that I kinda like like old dynos. Really like the GT air but now that I found out they are owned by a cheaper building company not sure I want that.

posty2100
11-10-2009, 11:56 PM
ya I loved the dynos, I had a Dyno Detour, NSX, and Compe. I think now they are now all bought out by GT. Im not sure I dont keep up on it anymore. Didnt't realize they were built by a cheaper company. I know FBM's were built in Johnson City(Binghamtom), NY near where I live. I used to go to the skate park called East Coast Terminal and they made FBM in the basement there. Were all custom made and I took a tour of it before. Really cool stuff but they were not cheap.

mopar_man
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
It's worth looking into bikes that are sold at dedicated bike shops even if they aren't made by who they once were. They'll be better quality than the ones you'll find at Hellmart and such department stores. Schwinn is a good example of that. Junk department store bikes, decent bike shop bikes. The nice thing about buying from a shop is the sales and service. They'll know what they're selling and will service it properly, sometimes for cheaper than if you brought in a bike from a department store. You'll also likely have a lot less problems with warranty if something should happen. What I would do is take your son in and take the price tags off the bikes. Let him take the ones out in your price range for a ride and see what he picks. That is, if it's not a surprise for him (not sure if he knows he's getting it for Christmas). A decent shop should let you take home a bike and if it's not what your son wants, you can bring it back in the same condition you took it and trade for something he does.

posty2100
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
here a video or the skatepark I used to go too, now closed. I know im getting off topic but this brings back the good times I used to have there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2XTqw211g

heres the FBM shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XreXP07J_zo&feature=related

smokinwrench
11-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I just looked at my notes I took from the bike shop and it was a Hoffman not a haro.

daniel_250r
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
make sure the bike has 3 piece cranks for starters and try to stay away from the gyro mechanism they suck

T3 LOPES
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Danscomp worked for me. I bought a poverty buck99 for 250 shipped . it has been a great bike for the money. they do have a nice selection.

leviblue
11-11-2009, 01:50 PM
DansComp is great. Afew years ago I got a Ripper (left over) from them and it was cheap, $350. they have a great GARAGE SALE section with leftovers from the year before.

factoryX
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Fit trail 2 has one of the strongest frames in the business, Eastern is pretty goof but a little long. Kink Has really good deal value wise.

http://www.danscomp.com/101886.php?cat=BIKES

http://www.danscomp.com/101583.php?cat=BIKES

I beat the hell out of my friends kink gap and it was still going after 720's!
http://www.danscomp.com/101678.php?cat=BIKES

85Tecate
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
when i was younger, Haro, GT vertigo and Dyno compes were the bikes to have. I could tell you what kind of bikes are good now. I'll be he will be happy with anything you buy him though :)

factoryX
11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Haro, gt, dyno?, have all been outdated, haro bikes weigh around 30-32lbs? If you want to get your kid into biking/jumping and have a budget kink bmx is you best option. The kink gap is only $350! And they even offer another bike, http://www.danscomp.com/101677.php?cat=BIKES that's only $300.

ditchmud
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Things have changed a lot since i grew up in the 70's and 80's but you can tell quality when you look at it. I bought my son a GT about 2 years ago and I really like it. I don't know if this is before or after they went cheap but his looks very good to me. I only spent that kind of money on a bike for him because he took really good care of his previous bikes.

xXxDaNxXx
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
check out the sit www.pinkbike.com they definatly know they're stuff. Its a forum like this one, but for bikes.

factoryX
11-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I am also a member on pinkbike, I know quality, lol do you jump bmx/dirt jumpers? no. I do. Biggest gap I have done on a bmx bike is 30ft, on a dirt jumper, 40ft. GT = G-I-Joe bikes! Start tem out on something good they will be good.

oldtime3wheeler
11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I used to have a few bikes. I had a Haro and a Torker. My favorite was my S.E. Racing PK Ripper. Man I loved that bike. I have an old friend that had a white PK Ripper done up like Mike Buffs.
Does anyone remember the Radical Rick cartoon in the mags?

4cfed
11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
i actually just bought a brand hew bike this fall and am thinkin of selling it

( not posting for sale here lol just tellin what i got)

2008 DK cleveland left over model, full 4130 chromo frame, forks, cranks, and bars, seal spanish bottom bracket, bike was built for me... sun x25 front rim sun black back chromo rear, citrus orange ( candy tangerin/orange) 14mm front and rear axles color matched forks and bars.. dk bars dk forks dk cranks dk grips dk seat lol... very very strong bike!! ima biger guy so i bought it for the quality and stenght.. only rode the darm thing about 7 times since i bought it

right now the market is over sun by easter.. there great bikes but cmon!! a bike simmaler in quality to mine for $650?? seriously???

brands to get are..

DK
hoffman
kink
fit
stolen
s&m

there are sooo many brands out there but you do get what you pay for...

jason85atc250r
11-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I used to have a few bikes. I had a Haro and a Torker. My favorite was my S.E. Racing PK Ripper. Man I loved that bike. I have an old friend that had a white PK Ripper done up like Mike Buffs.
Does anyone remember the Radical Rick cartoon in the mags?

i have 2 PK Rippers a bare aluminum one and a black one. the aluminum one has the old style GT power series cranks they werre abiout $150 to $200 back in the day. the pedals and bars were $120 . Odessey pit bull brakes

i have a skyway TA and Kuwahara Bravo. the kuwahara is a yellow one exactly like the kid rode in the ET movie. Found it at spring cleanup being thrown out cant beat free

Hutch,s were a good old brand also.

Radical Rick was cool he was my hero:lol:

smokinwrench
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
He prefers a bike that is shorter in the center. How do you know which ones are shorter and how long is to long or short?

Are the old dyno bikes heavy and long?

leviblue
11-11-2009, 09:44 PM
last year SE did a retro line including the PK Ripper Loop Tail, Quad Angle, and OM Flyer. Still have my 1st PK (9th b-day pres in 79) bought the OM flyer on my 39th this year. Like my trike I still ride everyday. Radical Rick is back in print and STU THOMPSON IS A GOD (even though he's a cop now) the short center bikes will be your racersand their lite as s#!t

smokinwrench
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
the short center bikes will be your racersand their lite as s#!t

How do I know what to look for? None of the specs seem to show weight? How long is long? That would make him very happy a short very light weight bike.

leviblue
11-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Aluimum frames are your racers,long and low. Free Style and Dirt are heavy Chro-molly steel. Take him in 5 or 6 shops even if you have to drive (you'd do it for your trike) and size him up. If the staff won't help you leave. A good bike can cost alot, as much as a good running trike, so tell the staff (your son) what he plans on using the bike for. BMX Racing is back and the tracks are better than when we were kids.

4cfed
11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
How do I know what to look for? None of the specs seem to show weight? How long is long? That would make him very happy a short very light weight bike.

most bike shops will help you find the right bike to fit the rider.. my bike is actually a tad shorter than i should be riding 20.5 top tube i perfer 21 inch top tube...

smoking how tall is he????

most bikes are 20.5 inch top tube which pretty much anyone can ride... taller riders ( 6 foot or more) wil want a21-22 top tube
under 5.5 would want a 18-20 inch top tube ( top tube from seat to neck)
over would want 20-20 top tube

is he wanted to race bmx? or ride street/ jumps/ dirt??

here is a link to dans comp stuff.. check it out have him look to see what he likes...

http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=html&html=bikes.html

what he wants to do will be a big factor in what to buy...

alot has changed since the good ol days... back when iraced bmx i used the same bike for bmx, riding to school and around town and dirt
bontrager b1 with 46 tooth front and 16 rear, the dk im riding now is running 33 front 12 rear, all the rage now is 25 9 drive.. 25 front 9 tooth rear( no more smashing sprockets when grinding)

this is what my bike looks like except i have dif rims and pegs on mine

http://ll.broadbandsports.com/images/DSCF4284_0.JPG

if he is gonna ride dirt/ street and jump id personnaly recommend a dk bike... there strong and can take a beating!! little heavy but thats due to being 4130

***EDIT***

sorry about the huge picture!! its not my picture but one like my bike that i found online

smokinwrench
11-12-2009, 12:17 AM
He's not going to race, none around here. He jumps everything. Rides lots of wheelies, and tricks and goes to a park some. He is about 5 foot tall. We only have 1 bike shop within 180 miles so lots of shopping really isn't an option. We have been to that shop a few weeks ago and its not a great shop by any means. I don't want to ruin the surprise so asking him tons of questions is not an option either.

4cfed
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
ok so if he is 5 foot he would be fine on a 20 inch top tube bike.. look on thats dans comp site.. he will fit a 19 and a20 comfortable.. a 20 will give him some room to grow.. as he should be able to ride that bike for 5-6 more years..

check out the dans comp site and we will help you pick something that will work for him

fit, dk, kink, hoffman, and eastern all offer very nice street/ dirt bikes.. and some are resonable priced.. if he is jumping make sure you get something with 3 piece cranks, and good double wall rims.. if he rides on dirt alot also... sealed cranks and sealed hubs are a must!

here is the link to complete bikes on sale threw danscomp...

http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?savergroup=SAVERBIKES

eastern jane is a GREAT bike!! light and strong.. normally almost 600 bucks!!
( sells for 650 at the bike shops here)

any bike on there is well worth it..
fit prk 2 is also a very nice bike

same with the eastern shovel head..

all the bikes there are street/ dirt / jump bikes

smokinwrench
11-29-2009, 05:42 PM
We went to a bike shop Friday, looked at hoffman and specialized. He wasn't very excited about them at all. He has been doing lots of looking and he likes the old school bikes. Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320453286074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So I guess we are going old school route and if he breaks something on it we will upgrade as he breaks it. Right now I'm looking at lots of accesories to go with it.