PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Moto 175 Restoration

3WheelHouston
11-06-2002, 10:11 PM
I have a tri-moto 175 that I'm about to start restoring. I've had it for a while but I'm just now ready and motivated to start. It's supposed to have run quite well, but needed a pull starter and brakes. And then it sat outside for 2 years or more. It has an overbore piston, but other than that I'm not sure how it's been modded. But it's said to be fast. I wanna get it working though so I can have three working trikes to ride, and two more I have access to. What sitting-related problems should I look for when starting on it friday? Also what gas/oil mix? What kind of oil? This will be my first two stroke project, so anything else I need to know would be helpful. -Aaron

Tri-Z dude
11-06-2002, 10:20 PM
i have a 1983 tri moto 175 and im rebuilding it fro motor to the outside
i have parts comin from new zealand hopefuly
all i have is a motor fram(bent) rear plastic and seat and whole rear end and thats all i have anyway
could you post a pic of your trike so i can kinda study it
thanks
Ben

Howdy
11-06-2002, 10:30 PM
I have a 175 parts machine. I plan on e-baying it in the near future ( in parts ). I have the pull starter, good frame, f/forks, rear plastic, a rough bottom end, and a few other parts. No gas tank or top end of the motor though. If interested in any parts before ebay make a me offer for them. They are on the schedule to be ebayed in 2-3 weeks depending on when I get pictures and such.

Trikeaholic
11-07-2002, 12:08 AM
hey houston, I did a 175 in january-February of this year. I can help you. I have tons of pics of the resto. here is what it looked like when I bought it
for 20 bucks. I had to hunt parts all over the place, and modify the front brake cable to fit. ( I bought 3 from different suppliers and none fit right!) As far as fast......mine has a new top end with a DG head, and a white bros. pipe and silencer, HD clutch springs and clutch. I polished the intake and exhaust ever so slightly, rebuilt the carb, and it was so scary fast, my wife, who I built it for, wont ride it! It smoked my 86 200x with ease. Lots of fun with no suspension, I like to refer to it as "the most dangerous vehicle ever built", especially when the front wheel comes up in 3rd gear, for no apparent reason! You will love this thing. I run the oil injector with Bombardier snowmobile injector oil.

Trikeaholic
11-07-2002, 12:10 AM
here is the DG head and pipe pic

Trikeaholic
11-07-2002, 12:12 AM
hereis the pipe

Trikeaholic
11-07-2002, 12:14 AM
here is the completed project

3WheelHouston
11-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Hey, I take it that's new plastic? Where from? And the brake cables? Also, where did you get the pipe? Mine is stock. And I can't wait to get this thing running Mine already has some lower profile wider rear tires on the back. Fast and dangerous is just my style. I bet this thing would make a hell of a flat tracker. Hey howdy I'd like the pull starter and brake lines if you have them. I'm not sure what to offer so what's the asking price? Email me K2sk8r413@aol.com

Trikeaholic
11-07-2002, 08:51 PM
that is not new plastic! it was wet sanded to bring out the shine. The headlight shell was painted white when I got it, and I wet sanded it and then waxed all the plastic. The rear fenders it came with were so smashed up, I was lucky to find a set on ebay of the same year and decal color, just faded a little, so I wet sanded that and waxed it. The fenders for the rear were $15 on ebay, and I was the only bidder. As for the pipe I got it from Rman, remember him?? The brake cables I bought from dennis kirk, the rear takes 2 cables, one for the hand brake, and one for the foot brake. One of the cables is unavailable, so I hung it up and put an oil drip to it, that loosened it up good, I also put a heavier return spring out back(hardware store special) and the front cable--the problem is all the aftermarket replacements dont have a long enough threaded portion to reach the brake arm, know what I mean? so, I was able to get a 6mm couplling nut from work (I work in Industrial supply) and attatch it to the cables threaded portion (where the wing nut usually goes) and then come thru the barrel on the brake arm with a Socket Head cap screw 6mm X 80, now I can adjust the brakes still, and it is working great. I can probly get you a nut when you are ready. PM me and I will give you the info

BigRedRunner
11-08-2002, 11:36 PM
I can get you new stuff around 15% under MSRP. Just ask. Its better if you buy the big items because the discount will be greater, ess shipping costs. Yada yada yada.

Tri-Z dude
11-09-2002, 01:00 AM
i need ALOT of parts to complete my restoration on my tri moto 175
can you hook me up with some of those parts
thanx
Ben

BigRedRunner
11-09-2002, 01:24 AM
Brakes will cost around $26.00 and the 100% complete brand new pull starter would $142.50 :? . Check out partsfish.com to find what parts you would like. Sounds like it would be wise to talk to Howdy if you want to get that pullstarter for alot less. Always fun to deal with Howdy. :-P Its hard to turn a buck on Yamaha parts. Honda ones have a HUGE markup and makes it easier. Yamaha plastic is cheap compared to even maier pieces. Crap, I can get you new rear fenders for $90 :shock:

Trikeaholic
11-09-2002, 06:36 PM
i think the yamaha plastic is discontinued, I believe we looked into it before. I cant remember so I could be wrong. I just checked my parts box, and I have an oil tank, some really bad footpegs, a fuel pump.

BigRedRunner
11-09-2002, 07:02 PM
They have a parts # and price listed for them still. Usually they'll have the pic but no price if they've pulled that part. But then again, I've never tried to get some.

Tri-Z dude
11-09-2002, 09:38 PM
hey trikeoholic
will you send pics of oil tank and gas pump
thanx
Ben

edog
03-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I want to see these pic of this tri moto.

200xalltheway
03-27-2004, 09:12 PM
yea, me too!