PDA

View Full Version : HD Video Help

DeePa
11-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Ok,

I bought the HD Hero. It works great and it used the file format .mp4

When i try to play the raw file on my computer which is 500mb and 3:00 or so long, its skippy and everything is out of sync. Its 780p and 60fps.

I know ZERO about editing this stuff. I converted it to an avi file, lost a lot of resolution, got down to 25 fps, and lost the sweet look it had when it was choppy as hell. But, it ran smooth and everything was in sync, so I feel that my cheapo 32GB SDHC card is doing its job.

Whats the best way to keep the video quality (point of HD) but get consistent playback? I do not care about file size whatsoever.

I know a lot of you guys have sweet ass good looking videos with helmet cams on here, and Id like to pick your brain a bit to get similar results.

Just an update...I used the video cables supplied with the camera and played back the video on my TV, and it all worked out great. I just need to get a process down from getting the mp4 file into a good format with acceptable quality and resolution that can be played on the computer. I am trying a conversion program now called AVS video converter, and if it works well I'll get the full version somehow. It leaves a watermark but thats fine to test it out.

Thanks,

Mike

night4creeper
11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
If the HD video (60 fps) is choppy then the computer is having a hard time processing all the data fast enough. that is why the 25 fps version played better. You probably need to look at the specs of your PC specifically the processor, RAM and the video card.

Video takes a lot of power to process at high quality. I once had a 4 min video shot in 1080p @60 fps that was about 2.5GB. It took a pretty hefty setup to render and process it.

Dammit!
11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
What are your system specs for your computer?

This is the thing that has me concerned about moving up to HD. I don't think my PC can handle it.

DeePa
11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
OK,

heres what I got.

P4 2.4 ghz with 3gigs of ddr ram.
ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9800 pro.
120 GB HD
And the rest really doesnt run with video playback...The system was build in 2003 and I added 2 gigs of ram a month ago. It still fits me fine for email, web, AIM, and other stuff.

Mike

Billy Golightly
11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
The cache on your processor might be too small, or hard drive too slow (probably should at least be a 7200rpm one and SATA instead of IDE ribbon cable)

Dammit!
11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Your specs are very close to mine. Same CPU but you have 3 gigs of RAM to my 1.

Not sure about that video card. How much memory does it have? I'm running a Geforce 6600 with 128MB DDR on it. Far from top of the line these days but real decent.

Can your PC play these?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

Mine can play the 720p clips with no problem. It says a P4 2.4 is the MINIMUM requirement. Downloading a 1080p clip right now. Completely different format so it might not mean much.

Edit: the 1080p clips play fine too. As long as I'm not doing anything else. As soon as I touch the mouse or keyboard during playback it gets choppy as hell. These files are only just over a hundred megabytes though so they're probably playing completely from RAM. If it had to stream off the hard drive it might not work as well.

jeffatc250r
11-29-2009, 08:00 PM
That sux! Im comp-dumb so i have no words of advice...

inv3ctiv3
11-30-2009, 12:58 AM
You're computer is too slow....