PDA

View Full Version : oldsmoblie Acheva

1984ATC200S
11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
anybody know if these are a good car any know problems? , looking at one with a quad 4 in it 4 door auto, looks like your typical old persons car, but i think with some tint and a system it would be a cool ride,the price is right, and i need something better on fuel for now 4.3's suck

Mosh
11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I would stay very far away from a quad 4..

They were head gasket blowing, water pump leaking, oil pump failing, ignition coil eating piles, of dog crap.
And none of it was cheap or easy to replace.

Quite possibly, the worst engine GM ever built.

cox
11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
^^^^What he said^^^^

MonroeMike
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
^X3!

Neighbor has one, help him work on it at least once a month.

It's leaking coolant out the head gasket as I type. It only has 60k on it.

The gauges are all wacked out too. I guess this is a common problem.

Thorpe
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Along with what Mosh said, and they were prone to crack the aluminum head...

jensenracing77
11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
what year is it? around 93 they got most of the bugs worked out of them. i may be one of only a dozen people on the planet that like them. they are incredible engines for horsepower. if you build one right they will beat many of the old muscle cars. not cheep but true. as for stock, yes they had many head gasket problems. i had a 91 Quad 442 with a W-41 option that was 200HP stock with this engine. it would eat 5.0 mustangs for lunch. i got it in 93 and just sold it last July. they only made 204 of the W-41 car. i would ask the owner if they ever had a head gasket put on. if they just had one done you should be good for 75,000 at least. you will also find that many shops will not touch this engine. i done head gaskets on them and it is not that hard.

1984ATC200S
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Its a 94, a guy at the shop I'm doing co-op through school has it, 137,000kms on it, it has had regular maintenance at the shop as the guy is the owner, ill ask him about head gaskets tomorrow. he is asking 300$ needs a control arm for MVI, i was thinking 200$ and hope it last thought winter then scrape it out, or take it threw the woods.

wheelie king
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Quite possibly, the worst engine GM ever built.

.....like EVERYTHING with the "oldsmobile" name on it.

Run the other direction.

SYKO
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
use the 200 dollars to put gas in whatever you allready have, leave the olds for the scrapyard to deal with.

hancadam
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I had a 99 Pontiac Sunfire GT with a 2.4 liter in it. Not sure if that's the same engine you are referring to but my dad always called it a quad four. My parents bought it new and gave it to me later on. I drove the piss out of it, ragged it out. When i sold it it had 168k miles on it and never had one problem, neither sdid my parents. The only thing we had to replace was one wheel bearing. It was a fun little car. Would do awesome burnouts and was faster than you would think. Just my two cents.

We also had a Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that my parents bought new in 1996. When my dad sold it, it had 220k miles on it. Me and my dad replaced the alternator twice, one hose, and the thermostat in the 10 years we had it. Its a sad story. My dad works at Goodyear and sold it to one of his mechanics there. The guy got killed in it two weeks after buying it. He had a engine head in the back seat when he wrecked it and it hit and killed him.

jensenracing77
12-01-2009, 06:23 AM
.....like EVERYTHING with the "oldsmobile" name on it.

Run the other direction.

easy now. GM used Oldsmobile for a test bed. they shafted oldsmobile many times. remember the 80s diesels? that was because GM knew that Oldsmobile was the only devision of GM that could get it done. the early engines were also a flop but by the end of the project oldsmobile was building very nice diesel engines and had full size cars getting 32+ mile per gallon. here are a couple of my Oldsmobiles

1984ATC200S
12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
6 against and 2 for wow, the only experience Ive had around a quad four, is my buddy's caviler Z24, got it with a blown engine, put a junk yard 2.4 back in it, drove the piss outta and then some, and bent a rod and spun a bearing, it was standard, and in the 3 months, with a brand new clutch , it was toast, so he decided to park it for the winter, talking to him today, and i told him if i got this car id sell him the engine in the spring for 400$ as of now he says he can't wait, haha. so I'm thinking strongly of picking it up, even if i don't get it on the road, i can get my money back out of it. BTW nice oldsmobiles jennsraccing77