PDA

View Full Version : veteran ordered to remove flag from yard

SYKO
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Colonel Van T. Barfort, 90, from Richmond VA is being ordered by his homeowner association to remove the flag pole on his property.

Did you miss it? Look at the Colonel?s picture again. See what?s hanging around his neck? Yep.

The Congressional Medal of Honor.

?The decorated veteran of three wars, now 90 years old, raises the American flag every morning on the pole, then lowers and folds the flag at dusk each day in a three-corner military fashion.?

You pissed yet? If not. Leave. Immediately.

From the Richmond Times Dispatch:

In a priority mail letter, the Coates & Davenport law firm in Richmond is ordering Barfoot to remove the pole by 5 p.m. Friday or face ?legal action being brought to enforce the Covenants and Restrictions against you.? The letter states that Barfoot will be subject to paying all legal fees and costs in any successful legal proceeding pursued by the homeowner association?s board.

Barfoot lives in the Sussex Square community in far western Henrico; its board of directors rejected a plea from Barfoot in July to approve the pole, disallowing the fixture on aesthetic grounds.

You can read the entire article from the Richmond Times Dispatch here.

So here is what all of us need to do for Colonel Barfoot. It is the very least we can do for him in return for his heroic service, sacrifice, and patriotism for us all.

Call and or fax Coates & Davenport, the law firm representing the home owner association.

FLOOD THEM WITH CALLS!!

Here are the officers per public records:
This is the homeowners association president:

GLENN WILSON PRESIDENT
11800 N Downs Sq
Henrico, VA 23238-3474
(804) 741-9160

ANN WILLIAMS SECRETARY
MARTHA G MIDDLETON TREASURER
EVELYN L WILSON DIRECTOR

Law Firms Email - http://www.coateslaw.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp.

CLIFFS:
90 YR OLD WAR HERO IS TOLD TO NOT FLY A UNITED STATES FLAG.
HE IS BEING THREATENED WITH LEGAL ACTION.
CALL OR EMAIL THE PRESIDENT OF HOME ONERS ASSOCIATION OR LAW FIRM AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ASKING A WAR HERO TO TAKE DOWN HIS FLAG IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

"Second Lieutenant Barfoot's official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.[4]"

Cliffs:

-flanks enemy machinegun nest alone, kills 2 germans, injures 3 with grenade
-kills 2 more germans, captures 3 at another machinegun nest
-ultimately takes 17 prisoners
-later grabs bazooka and takes on 3 tanks. Disables one tank and kills crew of 3.
-advances and destroys fieldpiece with demo
-on return assists two seriously wounded men 1700 yards back to safety

code200k
12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
wow...this is just wow

oldskool83
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
this is really odd, i read the entire article. just sounds like they dont want any poles in the yards but are fine with them attached to the house.

kinda odd?

The Goat
12-03-2009, 09:51 PM
...good god that man is the definition of a hero.

1985BigRed250ES
12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
that is just sad that the people in his neighborhood have nothing better to do than complain about a 90 year old Veterans flag pole, sad.

harryredtrike
12-04-2009, 02:21 AM
it's total b.s. but when you live in a community setting they call the shots.there are commy bastards out there that hate my country and everything i love,and they are the rabble rousers that cause this stuff.i hate them with all of my being.

ATCeeya
12-04-2009, 03:05 AM
this must be on every forum im on. Thats what happens when you live in those kinds of places. they have all sorts of rules. My dad is a property manager he gets complaints from other people all the time that little old lady next door has a gnome or a statue in her front bed. Not that he gives a rats ass but its the other ppl with nothing better to do than complain and make sure rules get enforced. No flag pole means no flag pole. Life isnt always fair in the big city.

canuckrider
12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Isnt your country supposed to be " the land of the free and the home of the brave".... It says so right in your National Anthem.....

Guess not.... I cant believe there are politicians, officers and communities that turn against Heros like him. Crazy...

yamahaman89
12-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Land of the free...NO....Home of the brave...YES The main problem in our country is the corrupt politics and some of our bs people for example the ones who want "under god" out of our pledge of allegiance. I don't believe in god but i could care less if thats in the pledge of allegiance. To many people try to get there way and think the world is here only for them. This guy put his life on the line for those people and all they do in return is screw him over. Thats BS

Micahdogg
12-04-2009, 12:23 PM
The home owners association strikes back. Boy do I have mixxed feelings about HOA's. I used to hate them because of things like this...where a person has good intentions and some "organization" tells you NO. My parents have a HOA and cannot have any detached buildings.....period. So if my dad wants to build a nice shed, sided to look just like his house........nope, sorry.

But then you look in my neighborhood, where there is no HOA and you have the craziest stuff. One guy has a friggen SEMI truck sitting in his driveway by a ratty looking full size pontoon boat. The front yard is home to a tow truck and the street has a 3rd gen V6 camaro that hasn't moved in years. They are fat, ugly people who walk around their yards with no shirts on and leave oil and transmission stains all over the place, while filling the yard with anything that is metal that can rust.

If we had a HOA, they would be forced to clean things up, but we don't...so it's a free for all. I think if anyone should be given special consideration, it should be veterans....so it would be nice if the HOA could pick and choose their battles and maybe let this one go. But if they don't...well, he could always just erect the pole and ignore any letters or requests for the years to come. :)

P.S. This isn't a free country. I may "want" to take meth, then drive through town at 60 mph while ignorning any traffic signals, but I can't because there are rules (laws). Likewise, I can't just buy or build a house anywhere and do whatever I want. If I insist on doing whatever I want at my house, I need to buy or build in specific areas.

Maico
12-05-2009, 02:26 AM
No respect what-so-ever for our veterans. He's 90 for christ sakes!! He gives his life for his country not once,not twice but 3 times and this is how we treat him??!!

hinddee29
12-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Well this is sad, but was this rule in place before he moved there? If so then
he chose to live in a place that did allow it. If this is something they are trying to put in and enforce now then it's BS on what they are trying to do.

Some may know, but I'm sure most don't know or even care to think about it.
All our service member put there live on the line for a set of laws for us.
The very same laws that these men and women don't have while in service.
This it's self should say what kind of people they are.

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
ITS A FLAG!!!!

Not a friggen tomato patch!!!!!!!!!!

I bet a SandN...... can hang an IED on his porch though.............

The members on the board ought to hold there head low in shame :(

Micahdogg
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually it's the pole. The article said many other neighbors have flags hanging from a pole on their house. He wants a pole in the front yard.

Just put yourself in that neighborhood as a home owner of say a $200,000 mortgage note. That's a lot of cash and a big commitment. Covenants protect you from having Cousin Eddie show up with his RV and parking it your neighbors front yard.

SO once you say, "Screw the rules, this guy is a veteran, he can do what he wants," it will also provide legal grounds for any other neighbor to say "screw the rules." For a veteran it may be ok, but what if a neighbor is a Hindu and wants a big golden Buddha in his front yard? Now you have set the precident and cannot deny him.

I don't know why they can't come to a reasonable compromise though. Maybe offer to erect a flagpole at the enterance of the neighborhood and let him be the caretaker of the flag or something.

Dammit!
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Let the people that live there vote on it. Done.

Macs
12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Covenants protect you from having Cousin Eddie show up with his RV and parking it your neighbors front yard.

A Covenant? I never heard it called that, i call it a .357!

Tri-Z 250
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Listen as much as you want to turn this into an issue: It's NOT
The retired officer was given a letter from the HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION
Your beloved war hero lives under a land rule created to keep his HOOD in check. Seems to me he put up a flagploe without approval of the local HOMEOWNERS GROUP. Please don't send a letter to anyone you'll just look as stupid as he is...You see before he bought the home....he was given the rules(by-law) and signed them along with the deed to the home.

I RULE IN FAVOR OF THE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION. Take it down PILE!

Micahdogg
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
This reminds me of a similar issue a couple years back. Neighborhoods with HOA or covenants of some form typically give you one year upon ground-breaking to have the house framed, outside finished and yard done. The inside can be bare studs, but within a year they want it to "look" complete. This is also a good rule as no one wants half framed houses sitting in their neighborhood, exposed to the elements then repossessed by the bank to be caught in limbo and eventually demo'd.

There was a young couple and the guy was in the military. They had the house built and mostly finished on the outside, then he got deployed. Their yard looked like a wreck (tractor marks, mud, etc...) and eventually they got a letter followed by even stricter/more threatening letters.

There was a similar campaign by the wife pretty much saying, "Poor ole me, my husband got deployed and this HOA is threatening to sue us over a friggen yard." In the end, some local landscapers came out and saved the day with fresh sod (gratis) and everything was ok, but I had similar mixxed feelings thinking, "This couple had to be aware of the rules....and I highly doubt he was just deployed overnight." I understand with everything going on why they may have said "Screw it" with the yard, but that still doesn't change the fact that they really weren't in the right.

I tried looking up the story to link it, but I can't even remember which state it was in. Maybe someone else remembers it too. It just comes down to HOA's....they have advantages and disadvantages. The consumer needs to think long and hard before joining one and in the end it shouldn't matter who you are, what you do for a living , who you work for, who you know....etc... everyone needs to be held to it for them to work.

MonroeMike
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/672198221/m/3560050202001

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/kennewick_pasco_richland/story/660106.html

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/kennewick_pasco_richland/story/664931.html

Tri-Z 250
12-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I deal in the Housing industry...Home and Land Title. I deal with this all the time..as much as a Home Inspection a CLEAR Title is vital when purchasing a home. You need to know the History of a Home and any Easement, Incrochments, Leans, and Taxes or Child Support issues that maybe linked to any property.

Property Associations: Have good points and for most they work out. If your the independent type that likes to rip the bike and party latenight, and put-off cutting the lawn or do with things without asking. You may want to stay away from restricted living conditions.

ScottZJ
12-10-2009, 08:32 AM
You know I do undderstand what he is going thru to some extent. I have a pretty hardcore neighborhood homeowners association. We have tons of rules such as:
No metal fences or gates (must be dog eared type wood)
Must not have garbage cans in view of street
Cans will not be put down to the street 24hrs prior to pick up
Must be removed from street 24hrs after pick up
All vehicles must have valid tags
No parking on the street for more than 24hrs
But with tons and tons of rules we have here, I see atleast a dozen flag poles in my neighborhood and even more flags. In fact I am working on getting a pole myself. The only stipulation is that if the pole fell, it must not be able to make it to the street.

oldtime3wheeler
12-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Just read in the paper today that he won. He is allowed to keep his flag pole and fly his flag.

code200k
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Just read in the paper today that he won. He is allowed to keep his flag pole and fly his flag.

:w00t: great news the man deserves it..