PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my crap GM

cox
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I have a 98 GMC jimmy, last week the fuel pump went gonzo. 420 bux for the pump, and 1200 installed with labour. Words and actions came into my mind that i cannot repeat here, lol. So i bought the pump and a filter. i have done this same job before on my old 99 blazer, and it was a really hard pump change. This time, i had just filled the tank before the pump pouched. Now i got a full tank of fuel to deal with when i drop the tank. Does anyone here have a good way of siphoning fuel out of a newer vehicle? I am not looking to steal fuel, nor do i want anyone else to do that. if you dont wanna type it up here for all to see. please PM me, the tank has around 80 liters of fuel in it. Its far from light. Yes i do have all the tools, but the positioning of the tank makes it real hard to just drop it out with a jack when it weighs 300 pounds. Any help would be really cool guys, thanks in advance.

Mosh
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah those are a pain to do,even with no gas.

Really, here is your only option.
Sometimes, when the pumps fail, you can have someone crank the engine over, and you get under the truck and bang on the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet, or piece of wood.
The jarring of the tank will sometimes make the pumps run again for awhile.
So then what I do if that happens, is make a rubber hose, disconnect the line at the fuel filter,and install your hose,grab a tank to pump your gas in,then jump the fuel pump relay,and let your pump just push all the gas out of the tank.
The problem there is not many people have enough tanks at their house to store 15 gallons of gas.At the shop we have Gas caddy.It holds 20 gallons of gas when we need to drain tanks.

Yeah, what I just posted is complicated, but it is your real only alternative.
All the newer tanks have a check ball at the filler neck that will not let you get a hose down in, to siphon.
The older cars never had those valves,so you could siphon from the filler neck.
Not on the new stuff.
That is what we do at the shop.
If the pump does not run at all, then you are in for a tough job.
Even under a rack with a trans jack, a 15 gallon tank full of gas is a nighmare to remove.
You may just want to bite the bullet,and have a shop do the job for you.
The drive shaft has to come out to get the tank out on a blazer, if it is a side mounted tank.
They suck..Plain and simple.

Try beating on the tankl..Sometimes the pump will stay running again for a week,and you can just drive it to run the gas out then put the pump in yourself.
But be warned, it could quit again at any time,and leave you stranded.

Mosh
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Actually, just thought of 1 more thing.
Some of the Blazers had a seperate 1 inch diameter vent hose near the filler neck at the tank.There was no check valve at the vent hose,only the larger filler neck.
IF you you have that, and can get the filler neck smaller vent hose off, you may be able to feed a 3/8 ths rubber fuel line down there and start sucking..LOL

cox
12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
The pump is completely dead. I tried all the above trick to get it to run. No go. I removed the last tank without taking the driveshaft off. and installed it to. It looks to be good clearence. I may end up going to the wreckers and getting a different fill neck, and ill cut mine off and siphone from there. Where is the check valve tho? in the bottom of the fill or the top? I need to get this done ASAP as i am on call 24/7 adn have no vehicle. Mechanic isnt open till monday, and we just got a crazy snow storm...... lol, if it wasnt for bad luck i would have no luck...

cox
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes my truck has that actually. i never even thought of that. I remember looking and seeing it. Relief.... Thanx alot Mosh :beer

Mosh
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
So wait...Another shop just put a pump in and it died a week later?

Most shops have a 1 year 12k warranty on repairs.
They should do it again for free..

Sounds like, they may have missed a electrical problem,and the pump was not actually bad to begin with.

Anyway, the Check valve is part of the tank..Not in the steel filler neck.So that option wont work for you.
You dont hear the pump run?
You may want to check your voltage at the connector on the tank and see if you have a relay or ground problem, or bad connection.

cox
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
no, i had a 99 blazer. i wrote it off and bought this one in its place. Now this ones fuel pump is dead. Its dead, i got one of the fuel lines off and decided to let the mechanic do it. save me a headache...

tecat-z
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't feel bad. My work truck is a 94 f-150 and the rear tank pump recently failed. Called ford and couldn't believe it! $450. So i will be shopping for a cheaper alternative. Problem is, many auto zone, pep boys, advanced auto etc pumps are extremely unreliable. So they too can you leave you stranded with no warning and then leaving the job to do all over again. Fuel pumps are a huge rip off! Gimme the old cam driven mechanical ones.

Gearheadtom
12-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Gimme the old cam driven mechanical ones.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Greiver430x
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
At work we have this thin hose we call polyflo, I haved used this to siphon on a newer vehicle. All you need is a thin hose thats rigid but can still be bent, that will get you past the check valve.

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 01:40 AM
cut a hole in the interior to access the pump.also check to see if its the relay.

300rman
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Fuel pumps always die on a refill. problem is, running a tank low on fuel is hard on the pump because te pump sits out of the fuel, and the fuel cools the pump. well once its good and hot, that cold fuel goes in there and kills the pump.......

cobradude
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
no access panel under the carpet in the back? I've changed several fuel pumps in my vehicles, several had an access panel in the trunk area or undr the back seat for fuel pump access

4cfed
12-09-2009, 12:22 AM
my crown civ smoked apump.. 12 years on the factory pump!!!! many long long days running none stop ( ex police car) the tank sits vertical, we jacked the back of the car up and two guys can drop the tank.. mine was 3/4 full full is 19 gallons

harryredtrike
12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
no access panel under the carpet in the back? I've changed several fuel pumps in my vehicles, several had an access panel in the trunk area or undr the back seat for fuel pump access

no,cut one in yourself.much easier

Macs
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
no,cut one in yourself.much easier

I have cut access panels before and it is really quite easy. then when i am done i silicone the cut out piece back down and put the carpet back over the top off it.

A good trick on trucks is to yank the bed off. Take the 6 bolts out of the bed, unplug the back harness and remove the ground and screws at the filler neck. then get a buddy to help you lift the bed on the frame rails. Then you have full access to everything and it only took about 15 minutes.

Somekindofjerk
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
cut a hole in the interior to access the pump.also check to see if its the relay.

Beat me to it! 6inch hole saw and you'll have the easiest blazer to change the fuel pump in in the neighborhood!

4cfed
12-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I have cut access panels before and it is really quite easy. then when i am done i silicone the cut out piece back down and put the carpet back over the top off it.

A good trick on trucks is to yank the bed off. Take the 6 bolts out of the bed, unplug the back harness and remove the ground and screws at the filler neck. then get a buddy to help you lift the bed on the frame rails. Then you have full access to everything and it only took about 15 minutes.

friend of mine works at a shop about 20 min from here.. thats what they do.. EVERY single truck gets the bed lifted, except they got fancy lifts so the use the lift to lift the box off

MonroeMike
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
cut a hole in the interior to access the pump.

I used a drill and then aviation snips.

RTV, screws and galvanized metal to cover it up.

It's under the bench seat, carpeting and padding. Never even know. It's a beater van anyways.