PDA

View Full Version : tire shop vent

MudBug
12-05-2009, 06:49 PM
brought my front rim off my 250es to the tire shop along with my new mudlite. they said not a problem we can put it on, then after when I went to pick it up I just threw it in the car and drove back home, when I got it mounted on the bike I noticed something was wrong. it was leaking around the rim, mostly because of big dents that they put in my cherry rim. i am soooooo pi$$ed!!! they beat up both sides and the paint is flaked off and now the tire wont hold air for over a minute. bringing it to a different tire shop to get it put on right and fix the bent rim.
really not my day! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dammit!
12-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Never take atv tires to a car tire shop. Their tools are not right for atv tires. Take it to an atv shop.

Gearheadtom
12-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I would bring it back to the shop and get them to fix it. If they won't fix it without charging you full price, make a big scene, they'll fix it.

200xman
12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
That's why I do my own tire changes. It is really easy once you do a couple. I do anything from atv/lawnmower tires up to the 33's on my Jeep. The bigger the rim the easier the job. Go to Northern or Harbor Freight and pick up a bead breaker and you'll be all set.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_18863_18863 This one is the shiznit.

I tried this one and almost lost an eye so the bigger one is definitely worth the money.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_13610_13610?xsell=true&cm_sp=Xsells-_-T%20and%20T-_-Product%20Page

Here was the aftermath!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=32172

1984ATC200S
12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
doing co-op at a auto center, and the only ATV tires ive changed is a 12inch rim, the smallest our mechin will hold, but if they couldn't do it they should've said no and not beat your rim to pieces.

MudBug
12-05-2009, 09:21 PM
but the thing is, last year I had them put two mudlites on the back of mine and they done it perfect. they must have been in a rush this time, but it still gives them no room to smash up my nice rim!

Thorpe
12-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Had a motorcycle shop fubar a tire install on a Superhawk wheel once... The removed the tire, paid to have the paint fixed, reinstalled the tire without scrathing the rim the second time, and did it all for free... Make a stink.

Maico
12-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Never take atv tires to a car tire shop. Their tools are not right for atv tires. Take it to an atv shop.

Not nesessarily true. Just make sure the auto tire shop has the right tools first. Trammel Tire in town has done mine and 100's of others...damage free. In all reallity...all you need is a bead breaker and a couple of tire spoons.

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 12:30 PM
motorcycle shop with a service dept.can do atv tires.no no no on taking them to an auto shop.i feel your pain,if they couldnt do the job they shouldnt have tried.

MudBug
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
if they couldnt do the job they shouldnt have tried.

but they done two other tires for me and had no problems. same tires and same rims too.

racerxxx
12-06-2009, 01:56 PM
That's why I do my own tire changes. It is really easy once you do a couple. I do anything from atv/lawnmower tires up to the 33's on my Jeep. The bigger the rim the easier the job. Go to Northern or Harbor Freight and pick up a bead breaker and you'll be all set.

AMEN Brother, I refuse to pay to have my tires dismounted and mounted--unless of course it it is for my everyday car or truck they usually throw in free mount and balance. All you need is a bead breaker, large rubber mallet, 2-3 tire irons, and a little dish soap and ether(for the really stubborn beads:mad: also my sons favorite part). My father taught me how to do it the "hard" way while growing up. When you grow up on a fram you don't have the money to pay someone to do it for you. We've done from lawnmower tires to split-rim dumptruck tires to all the farm equipment and tractor trailer tires. Remember you can do just as much damage as they can and if you do it you can only be pissed at one person-----YOU. The larger the sidewall typically the easier they are to install. I would go thru a set of rear tires on my mustang (when I was 17-19 years old) almost once a month--try paying for those mounting and balancing bills.

Here is the bead breaker we have (similar)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200347649_200347649

AND the tire irons

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331774_200331774

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331776_200331776

I use rags and and lots of masking tape on the end of the irons where the would contact the rims. From steel to aluminum, if you're extra careful you can do it without damage.

If I were you I'd go to the shop and ask them to make it right, although they may tell you "they wern't like that when they left here". You probably should have checked them over with a fine tooth comb. Sorry to hear the bad news.

The Goat
12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Not nesessarily true. Just make sure the auto tire shop has the right tools first. Trammel Tire in town has done mine and 100's of others...damage free. In all reallity...all you need is a bead breaker and a couple of tire spoons.

I had the displeasure of trying to mount some 27x9x11s recently that were compressed down to under 5 inches wide.

The old rusty rims gave up their tires quite easily...few hits with a breaker and all was well.

After an hour to get one tire on (which should have taken 15 minutes TOPS) I realized I didn't even have the pressure to get the beads to seat. Tried ether and everything.

Hit the local tire shop, the couldn't do anything. Drove 70 miles back to interco tire... the showed me this sweet device they have to get them to seat. A huge ring that clamps around the top of the rim, and then dumps 200-500 PSI through a 2inch hose and quarter inch outlet holes on the ring. The tire is pumped up and seated without using the stem...AND your rim never touches the ground to get scratched up. Very cool stuff.

If you have any large atv shops that cater to the mud racing crowd, they should have something similar.

MudBug
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
its fixed now guys. I was hoping that the rim wasnt salvageable or had a wobble in it, because dad was all up for buying a new ITP aluminum rim off dennis kirk. heres a good equation for you guys...

agressive front tire + bald rear tires + snow + a great running big red = a whole lot of fun :D

4cfed
12-08-2009, 02:49 AM
if done them my self and it sucks.. fleet farm auto center does them and does a good job, since they do small trailer tires also..

i feel ya.. even though i didnt get a rim trashed.. i called a buddy that works as sears auto center, they charge $80 bucks to mount and balance 4 tires for my car, 8.50 per tire for the mount and 12.95 per tire for balance ( all they do is 'life time' balance and rotat.. you bet your rear end if i did that i would be in there every other week gettin a balance and rotat lol