PDA

View Full Version : dodge durango. electric short?

hondahaulic
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Last weekend I put a new battery in my 98 dodge durango. Twice since then, the battery has been completely dead when I go to start it. It will start fine if its jumped and it charges the battery, the voltmeter goes to 14 or 15 while running so I'd say my alternator is fine. It either starts fine or it is completely dead. The battery was new last weekend. Do I have an electrical short somewhere? Are there any good placed to check? Its my only car so I really need to figure this out.

seadoo650
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Is there any aftermarket equipment on the vehicle? (audio, video, alarm/remote start)

Also, does the dome light go out when you close the door. My Dakota had an issue with a pinched dome wire in the driver front pillar. Came from the factory that way.

harryredtrike
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
yes you have a closed circuit somewhere.if you cant find it you can put a knife switch on you pos terminal and manually engage it everytime you want to use it

K87_250ES
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
You need to check for current draw. I usally use a 1156 bulb and socket but any test light will work (just not an LED they will come on with 3v and won't be accurate for this test). Remove the ground cable from the battery and wire the 1156 between the ground cable and the ground post on the battery. If it comes on then you have a draw. Any light will cause the bulb to come on, so make sure the doors are shut and if you have an underhood light unplug it. Start pulling fuses and relays one at a time to see if one will make it go out. The most common draw is glove box light or radio.

Woodsrider
12-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Was it doing the same thing BEFORE you changed the battery? If not, then I would suspect that the battery is defective.

86trizinger
12-11-2009, 07:48 PM
the only problem is with testing it with a bulb is the fact that as soon as you disconnect the battery all electronics go offline and sometime reset. When you hook the bulb up it will not necessarily light up if its a control module killing the battery.. so you have to watch that on some cars..

Here is a good link for you on how to test with a meter
http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm

Step by step with photos

hondahaulic
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, they are very helpful and will definitely come in handy. I think the problem may be in my rear wiper. Its been acting up and going extremely slow, and its been stuck mid-stroke the last few days. The wiper switch is off, but I think it may still be trying to return the wiper to the down position, and its drawing current. I just pulled the fuse for now, but I'll be sure to use the test light method.