PDA

View Full Version : gonan have my son race quads

oscarmayer
12-11-2009, 02:26 PM
there have a beginer class here in texas for 5-8 yr olds called sr. pee wee. the rules read 50cc 2-stroker or 70cc 4-stroker.
not allowed to do anything excpet a .010 or .020 overbore to clean the cyclinder up after a rebuild.
no gearing means auto trans

What do you guys think? i was going to do up his chinese kiddy quad seeing it's just about them learnign how to ride together vs. real skill levels. Any thoughts?

Here's a snippet of the exact rules for this class.

SR. Pee-Wee Class This is an age and cc limit class not a skill level class and is for points and trophies. It is open to rider’s ages 5-8 years old. Riders racing in this class are not eligible to race in the Jr. Pee-Wee Class. Engines are limited to 50.01cc 2-stroke and 70cc 4-stroke.A one time standard over bore is allowed as long as the cc limits is not exceeded (Standard overbore: 10 to 20 thousandths over the stock bore). Water cooled engines are allowed and ATV engines only, no manual clutches allowed. Engines must match production frame. Jetting, gearing, tires, wheels, sprockets, shocks, a-arms, swing-arms, nerf bars, handlebars, steering stem, and axle may be changed/modified but no other mods are allowed. This means no engine or clutch alterations of any kind, if it came from the factory with it, it has to stay on and if it didn’t come from the factory with it, it can’t be added. You are allowed to add a safety kill switch to the ignition, and running boards will be accepted as nerf bars for this class. Brackets may be added to production frame for added suspension (keep in mind if you plan on running any national races you are not allowed to weld brackets to production frames). Parents must be on hand at all times during specified moto to ensure rider is secure from start to finish. Parents cannot help rider when at the gate by pushing or touching the rider when the gate is being dropped. Everyone will be asked to step 3 feet behind the rider so not to interfere with the race. All participants in this class will receive a trophy or participation award. NOTE: The 50cc Cobra or other equivalent quads are not allowed in this class. . #1 rule: roll to right if not jumping

my thougths are to get the a-arms off a mid size with a resivour shock setup and use those to widen and proovide better handeling. like mod the swinger so he can run a wider rear axle and fron a-arms. i can modify them so it should be ok. what do you guys think?

bkelley
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I think that would be really cool. Always wished we had the money for me to get into racing, I just played football instead haha. Also, have you seen the Cobra youth racing quads? They are freaking cool as hell. Like $7k for a 50cc quad, though...

http://www.cobramotorcycle.com/v3_ecx50.asp

oscarmayer
12-11-2009, 03:21 PM
not allowed excpet in the advanced classes that are like 12yrs and older kids.

the class we are going to start at really seems to be taylored around these chinese kiddy quads. most named brands are not auto trans.

i saw the cobra, but I personally would not pay that much for such a tiny quad. I could build one to compelte myself for about half that price and still keep up or spank it. (same rider driving both). it's just too much for too little engine to me.

okieRrider
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
What kind of quad are you going to be modding up? The etons are big in this category. My advise in youth racing is to get the suspension set up right before you need to worry anything about speed. Yes that class is designed to get the kids familiar with what they are doing with others around them as apposed to running the course as fast as they can. Your gonna have a blast, oh and be prepared to get a second job...lol

The Goat
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
are you ure they don't just mean atuo trans? as in semi auto no manual clutch?

oscarmayer
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
lol.
i'm going to mod one of hte chinese quads. We are going to measure out and make brackets from a mid size frame so we can use their swonger and suspension on this kiddy quad. not the prettiest, but will certiany work pretty darn good for a decent price. he has this and 1 more class to go through before we are allowed to use a cobra engine.
I caleld cobra and asked about their engine on the kiddy quad, they were interested in my project and are going to see what they cna do to assist enginerring wise. Still trying to decide if I want to spend $2k on engine stuff now or later. lol. I figure I'll tweek the suspension as you said, drop in a stocker 4-stroker 70cc and let him ride this season on that. next season we'll get the cobra motor and it'll be all over but the cryin. ;)

oscarmayer
12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
are you ure they don't just mean atuo trans? as in semi auto no manual clutch?

yes, fully auto only no gears or clutch. :( if they let me have a semi, i'd get a honda 70 and we'ld have some serious fun!!!! ;) high comp piston, cam, custom intake and exhuast, it'd be on! but nope. no shifting in this class. so for the enxt 2 season we are running this one. end of next year we can go to the next class and run a 70cc 2-stroke or 90cc 4-srtoker with slight internal mods. (2-strokers are mostly limited, but on the 4's i can do some porting, cam and such)

smokinwrench
12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Be careful modding the suspension. If you make a small quad to wide the handling goes in the toilet.

Mosh
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Getting kids started young is definately a good idea.
This class sounds like a great starter class.

Around here, they just run a jr. and sr. youth quad class.
The problem with that is, many parents and kids are running $4000 equipment.
Starting a kid off in these classes is tough for a few reasons.
1) most parents are not comitted to spending that much money right outta the hole, for a hobby that the child may not take full interest in, or focus on.
2) In that case, when the newer parents take a subtle approach and buy a stock LT80 for 800 bucks, for their kid to get involved on, he has no real chance of winning against the hi-dollar equipment, so that new kid may become frustrated with the whole concept of racing.

So for your sanctioning body to have a pure " newbie" class is a great way to get kids acclimated to the sport to see if they want to make a full go of it.
If they do, then make the decision a year or so later to buy or build a hi performance purpose built racer for them.

My advice is this.
We put our boy in a few races. He likes it, but just isnt in to giving it all he has, which is fine with me.I am not going to push him to be competitve, because by nature, my boy is not really a competetive kid. He is just too laid back and easy going.
So in the end, I am glad I did not waist thousands of dollars on a machine and equipment right off the bat, only to find out that my boy doesnt want to make a full fledge run at ATV racing.
Start him off on a cheap quad, buy him good protective gear (head to toe) and take him out and let him run at his own pace.
Often there are kids with sideline parents that yell at the kids, push the kids too hard like they are racing for a million dollar factory ride,and you see these kids get discouraged and have bad attitudes.
Dont be one of those aggressive parents, consatantly pushing your kid, to the point he starts to have a bad attitude.
The best racing kids, have good attitudes,a good work/practice ethic and a natural talent.
I have seen 9-10 year olds, slamming their helmets down becuase they came in 3rd place, and calling there $4000 machine a piece of crap,becuase they could not win on it..You can tell, they are absoulutely spoiled,and driven by the parents too hard, and that eventually results in them having that sour attitude.
Just make it fun for him, and let his own natural rider come out and grow.
And one more thing.
IMO, there is absolutely no better MX practice, than taking your boy on some long moderate challenged trail rides.
The rocks, ruts, and obstacles in the trails, will teach him, to make fast decisions on the track,and avoid rough areas of the track that could cuase him to loose speed.
That trail riding will be fun for him, more than traditional lap after lap track training, and split equally with some pratice track time will make him a well calculated rider in the long run.

oscarmayer
12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
thanks mosh!

I jsut found out the lady that told me auto engiones only was wrong, an semi-auto clutch is allowed, they just don't want the kids having to pull a clutch lever in to shift is all. it coudl result in a crahs at that early age as the clutches are not always easy to engauge.

so i can sue any 70cc 4-stroker semi auto or any 50cc 2-stroker semi-auto.

hrmm my juices are flowing for the 2nd season! right now as mosh said, it's jsut getting him out there to see how he likes it. He's very competative my nature, so it will probebly be agood thing for him.

Yamada
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Getting kids started young is definately a good idea.
This class sounds like a great starter class.

Around here, they just run a jr. and sr. youth quad class.
The problem with that is, many parents and kids are running $4000 equipment.
Starting a kid off in these classes is tough for a few reasons.
1) most parents are not comitted to spending that much money right outta the hole, for a hobby that the child may not take full interest in, or focus on.
2) In that case, when the newer parents take a subtle approach and buy a stock LT80 for 800 bucks, for their kid to get involved on, he has no real chance of winning against the hi-dollar equipment, so that new kid may become frustrated with the whole concept of racing.

So for your sanctioning body to have a pure " newbie" class is a great way to get kids acclimated to the sport to see if they want to make a full go of it.
If they do, then make the decision a year or so later to buy or build a hi performance purpose built racer for them.

My advice is this.
We put our boy in a few races. He likes it, but just isnt in to giving it all he has, which is fine with me.I am not going to push him to be competitve, because by nature, my boy is not really a competetive kid. He is just too laid back and easy going.
So in the end, I am glad I did not waist thousands of dollars on a machine and equipment right off the bat, only to find out that my boy doesnt want to make a full fledge run at ATV racing.
Start him off on a cheap quad, buy him good protective gear (head to toe) and take him out and let him run at his own pace.
Often there are kids with sideline parents that yell at the kids, push the kids too hard like they are racing for a million dollar factory ride,and you see these kids get discouraged and have bad attitudes.
Dont be one of those aggressive parents, consatantly pushing your kid, to the point he starts to have a bad attitude.
The best racing kids, have good attitudes,a good work/practice ethic and a natural talent.
I have seen 9-10 year olds, slamming their helmets down becuase they came in 3rd place, and calling there $4000 machine a piece of crap,becuase they could not win on it..You can tell, they are absoulutely spoiled,and driven by the parents too hard, and that eventually results in them having that sour attitude.
Just make it fun for him, and let his own natural rider come out and grow.
And one more thing.
IMO, there is absolutely no better MX practice, than taking your boy on some long moderate challenged trail rides.
The rocks, ruts, and obstacles in the trails, will teach him, to make fast decisions on the track,and avoid rough areas of the track that could cuase him to loose speed.
That trail riding will be fun for him, more than traditional lap after lap track training, and split equally with some pratice track time will make him a well calculated rider in the long run.

Great post!!!! Lot of parents should read it, no matter what sport the kid play.

ditchmud
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I have to agree with Mosh. I took my son to the track with us because he wanted to be like his big brother. Well he raced a stock lt80 quadsport against kids on machines that had more money in them than my 450r cost new. He didn't stand a chance but he didn't care and had a great time regardless what place he came in. My older son won't race anymore because all of the attitudes these kids racing have. He loves racing with the otc group on 3 wheelers because it's all about having fun. Well for most of us it is anyways.

oscarmayer
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM
yea the good thing I'm getting into is it's a class designed for begaineers and certain types of quads are outlawed in this class. so no $ throwing. lol i think some parents get too caught up in the "i gotta have" instead of the "i'll make due". just because something's not as fantsy or new as the next item doesn't mean it won't work. I'm all about functionality over anything else. i don't care if it's new or old, if it don't work, it's junk. i think a lot of parents listen to "hype" instead of checking into what really works. the best investment they can have is investing in training of their kid.

86trizinger
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
My son wanted to race last year up until he saw some of the kids ride.. Up here we are in a very competitive district so we opted not to do it for him.

We got my son a DRX... Made it Taiwan not china.. CVT auto 2 stroke watercooled. We got him the 90 and it would keep up with my 300ex up until the it reached its topped speed. Pretty fast bike with tons of suspension travel.. They should fit into your class because they are commonly used where the cobra's aren't .

Great bike with tons of potential plus all of the parts they have are bolt on .. Including longer a-arm and a rear swing arm with 300ex carrier. They come in 50,70 and 90cc versions.. Get him the 50... and then next year do the top end and make it a 70.. It will blow away almost all of the chinese ATV's in that size range.. Our 90 would destroy our 124cc trx 90.

Here is a link to ours we just got rid of.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15250142@N07/3799024170/

and of course the video. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=32229769

The extreme Typhoons are cheaper and some similar characteristics.. but are know to break alot easier.