PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud about Banning members......

Dirtcrasher
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
1st off, thanks to the mods for keeping the site clean. I'm amazed at what can happen in a short period of time without getting into specifics. It cannot be easy to "babysit" every post made on the forums.

I know you guys are cracking down and understandably so..........

Short term Bans some of us have received may or may not have been justified, but thats not MY/OUR place to judge. And it certainly makes us think before we post similar comments or material. Sometimes it's better to ignore someone rather than bait/harass them etc etc.

My only thought is in regards to a full one year ban. Some people certainly deserve this, but some may not. Do you mods, or are you mods ever willing to reevaluate a member after a couple months or so?

1 year is a long time to lose a decent member.

I ask because sometimes mistakes are made and a whole year without someone who may have beneficial information to share with us seems to contradict the goal of 3WW, IMHO.............

It just seems a long time to keep someone out of the mix.

Essentially, is there any type of appeals process allowed for members that aren't here to cause trouble, but may have done so without thinking first?

Or, is that sentence final? Or could there be a reprieve with probabation?? :D

Just throwing it out there guys :beer

Dammit!
12-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure exactly which member you're speaking of, but I will say this post is a great example of HOW to bring something like this up (even if it's in the wrong section :p ). A lot of what lead up to a few people being banned for various periods of time was simple and repeated disrespect (to the site, the mods, the owner and other members).

Most of the mods are easy to get a hold of outside of this site (I'm on dot org, youtube, planettrike, etc for example). If someone that's been banned has something to say (an appeal if you will), it's easy to get in touch with at least one of us so that we can bring it up with the entire staff. I'd say it's best to wait a while before doing so however. Odds are if someone got on a mod's nerves so bad that they got a year off, it's probably best to give it a couple weeks before speaking up.

harryredtrike
12-12-2009, 01:30 AM
thats good to know dammit.

Dirtcrasher
12-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the response Dammit......

I myself have a firm grasp on how things are gonna roll here and try to abide by that reality. Taking it to PM is often the best choice, although it can be hard to "bit ones tongue" :lol: Disagreements are fine, but some of the personal attack on members is uncalled for and well out of bounds as far as the real issue were concerned.

I do have someone in mind, I'll keep it to myself. I personally even had some issues with that person until we talked a bit more and gained some sort of understanding. IDK what exactly happened but I felt that a year without that persons input would be missed by some members.

I just hate to see anyone that has provided the board with some good to be banned for so long. Take myself as an example, I can get out of line, I can be harsh too; But it's generally the preservation or lack thereof that frustrates me. If I were to ever do something to warrant a full year or worse yet, a lifetime ban, not only would I suffer but allot of information I try and share would be lost in the process also. I'm sure I couldn't last too long without begging the staff of 3WW to grant me some sort of reprieve with probation, maybe even a "reinstatement fee" like the RMV, :lol: :D

So, that being said, I'll pass along some thoughts to the person I had in mind regarding this topic......

And NO, it's not EDOG :lol: , he may or may not be even banned. And even though he can and has been a PITA poster, many of us enjoy rattling his cage. He sure can lay down some spray bomb painting though, shens

Billy Golightly
12-12-2009, 03:00 PM
With very few exceptions, everyone I have ever banned personally, I would consider un-banning or at least shortening their time away if they came to me in a mature, accountable way, and said "Hey, I screwed up, I shoulda been more conscious, sorry." Instead of a "Hey trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro YOU! I DON"T NEED THIS PLACE &^#^&$#!!!!" that is so typical.

Getting banned, making a new account and jumping on here to post up a huge tirade bitching about it like has happened with people so many times in the past is a sure fire way of getting any chance they did have axed. Anyone that gets a year ban, should consider themselves pretty lucky that whoever did it didn't slide down just an extra notch on the list and click "indefinitely".

In my case if a person is chill, and collected, and makes an attempt *privately* to apologize and be responsible for their actions then I'll consider changing the ban time, or maybe even unbanning them completely. Some tips to increasing their chances:

Waiting a considerable time after they have been banned, before they ask. Don't come running to me right afterwards with a crying sob story.

Don't complain about the rules. The rules are what they are, and they are extremely visible to anyone that actually cares to read and understand them.

Don't stir drama up about it on other sites and places. Do you really think name calling me, on another site, while your banned from here is going to increase your chances of getting back? Not exactly behavior I'm interested in letting back here immediately :lol:

Yamahondaman
12-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Git-em-raggggg!!!! Yamahondaman