PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own a Bayou 250?

3forlife
08-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Man they are priced right! The semi indy rear suspention looks sweet. Just wondering if anybody has ever riden one. Good? Bad? I am looking to ride trails and do light chores, just wondering if this would fit the bill.

350Xccelerator
08-12-2003, 11:57 PM
how much are they?

3forlife
08-13-2003, 02:21 PM
they are $2999. along the same line as the bear tracker and recon.

yater
08-13-2003, 02:37 PM
shop around and you can find'em for $2699--We used to have one at the hunting lease and they are pretty amazing little quads. If you have the extra $ though, the recon can't be beat.

350Xccelerator
08-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Thatrs true 8)

350Xccelerator
08-13-2003, 04:48 PM
oh yeah, does anyone know who one the dirtwheels shootout between the recon vs ozark vs rally in the feb issue i never got to see that one.

3forlife
08-13-2003, 07:05 PM
I have been keeping my eye on that class for a while. (bear tracker, recon, ozark and bayou) The specs for all 4 are pretty close. Recon and Ozark with a msrp of $3,499, Bear Tracker at $3,299 and Bayou at $2,999. I have owned Hondas, Yamahas and one Suzuki in the past and all were very reliable. I love trail riding and most of all 4 strokes. I am not looking for a ton of speed, and I don't intend to do any jumping. I have never owned a Kawasaki but the Bayou 250 looks promising. While we are on the topic, what other costs come along with buying a new quad? I know the obvious like tax and any interest you are charged but is there anyting else? Does the dealer register it (and take care of insurance) for you when you purchase it? I am hoping to be able to round up enough of a down payment to pay for about half the machine, leaving me with low monthly payments. As of now I am leaning toward the Bayou. Any info would be appriciated!

3forlife
08-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Another question I just thought of...I own a base model Ford Ranger (6' bed), think any of those quads would fit in the back of it? I know my atc 110 fits in like a glove but its slightly smaller : )

yater
08-13-2003, 09:07 PM
man, just do it. You are on the right track as far as the class you are looking at. I share a hunting lease with a guy who has 2 recons (one es and one s) and I ride them all the time. They are rock solid. I love the look of the ozark but Suzuki?--just doesn't feel right. I have owned a bayou 220 (an older one) and loved it. Very reliable and will go anywhere. When you buy a new one, it's up to you to handle insurance if you choose to. For a 250, it shouldn't be much but I don't know. The dealer will walk you through registration and if you push them a little, they will throw in a few extras. Remember that you CAN work deals with them--don't just settle for their price. As for the ranger, I think you'll be ok but you might want to check the specs.

200xer
08-13-2003, 11:12 PM
It should fit in the back of it. I put a Rancher in the back of my step side s-10. I highly recommend the Recons. I know that the rest are good, but it's really hard to beat Honda's reliability.

ATC crazy
08-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Recon's are an awesome machine for just cruzing around on as well as doing work. They are pretty snappy little things too...they'll get you down the trail in a pretty good clip. And nothing can beat their reliability. Honda reccommends bringing them into a shop after 100 hours on the engine to check the valves...My Foreman has over 300 hours and almost 3,000 miles on it without ever being in a shop. 8)

yamaha200E
08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
my cuz has a 93 bayoue and that thing hals arse for a 200 quad. and it has held up to everything such as hiting trees at full throtle, flipping over and over down big hills, and ramping. all in all i think you'll like it if you'r wanting to do trail riding. kyle

Russell 350X
08-19-2003, 09:13 PM
Two of my neighbors have 220 Bayous. One is a 97, that one dosent get used to much to pull logs and such, but is a good trail bike. The other one is a 99 Bayou 220. We beat the piss out of this thing. Just last week we were jumping it, hitting mudholes at 40mph, donuts, running over small trees, jumping it into mudholes, and other abusive things. That one sure gets a beating!!!! But in all truth they are a good machine for the buck. They may not be too fast(my big red beats them lol)but they sure can take abuse.

mkramm
08-21-2003, 03:57 PM
I use to have a recon, you cant beat that transverse engine, very strong, lots of power, very fun bike. Still not as fast as my dad's big red, but almost :D I was sorry to have to sell it :x Hopefully this poor mans warrior will suffice for now.