PDA

View Full Version : Any scam with Puerto Rico buyers

Orangecnty250r
12-12-2009, 11:03 AM
When I recently had my new 2006 banshee listed on ebay I had about 80% of the inquiries come from puerto rico...it just didnt make any sense to me....Just got a weird vibe..Is that one of the new scams?

devilman
12-12-2009, 11:22 AM
just be careful. make sure a check clears before you ship if you do sell to out of country. i received a counterfit bank check for 16000 for a car i was selling. luckily i never gave the car to shipper.

deathman53
12-12-2009, 12:51 PM
someone on another site was a victim of this. He said he waited until the check cleared and sent the bike out. Several weeks later he got a letter from the bank and the check was counerfeit. I don't know what to say, myself, I wouldn't accept any offer from outside the country.

Orangecnty250r
12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
someone on another site was a victim of this. He said he waited until the check cleared and sent the bike out. Several weeks later he got a letter from the bank and the check was counerfeit. I don't know what to say, myself, I wouldn't accept any offer from outside the country.

Man you think they would be able to verify within a few days!!!

devilman
12-12-2009, 01:03 PM
they luckliy verified mine as being bad while i was standing at the counter. crazy thing is, the bank gave me the check back. still got it sitting in a drawer.

deathman53
12-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I would have sent that check to the police and let them make sure that guy gets what coming to him, along with all his contact info.

aldochina
12-13-2009, 02:08 AM
I have heard many cases of people actually getting these checks, and money orders cashed, spending the bread only to have the bank looking for there money back for a counterfeit check. The tech is so good now I guess they slip through initial screening.:wondering

Orangecnty250r
12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I have heard many cases of people actually getting these checks, and money orders cashed, spending the bread only to have the bank looking for there money back for a counterfeit check. The tech is so good now I guess they slip through initial screening.:wondering

There really should be a protection plan for the consumer from the bank...at least a 7 day "clearance time" then its their problem. But of course the banks make there own rules and its our problem in the end.... With all the technology out there just doenst seem like this should even be an issue.

leviblue
12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't do it. I'm sure they have relatives in NYC (seems like everyone from PR has one living in the City) My ex works for a bank and has told me before the check may take three days to get into your banks system but to clear another banks can take upto two weeks. If you have cash in your account to cover the check you won't know till it's too late. Then it's on you and your out both the $$$ and the bike. I'm sure they wouldn't take a check from you.