PDA

View Full Version : save on gas

yamahaman89
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
i have a 93 ford f-350 with a 460 ci. I get very poor gas mileage any ideas on what i can do to help the gas mileage

SWIGIN
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
what do you call poor?

the best you can hope for is 10-13mpg average

fabiodriven
12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
:lol: Dude, are you serious? You're driving a one ton with a big block and you want better gas mileage?:lol:

Buy a Civic. That'll fix your problem.

deathman53
12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
my old boss has a e350 w/ 351, he get 6-8 mpg. so what do you consider poor? I know people with explorers that get at tops 13 mpg. A new air filter, new spark plugs and being easier on the right foot are sure fire ways to increase mpg.

yamahaman89
12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
:lol: Dude, are you serious? You're driving a one ton with a big block and you want better gas mileage?:lol:

Buy a Civic. That'll fix your problem.

Yea "dude" i am serious lol wtf? anyway poor to me is under 8 mpg i figuered a cool air intake would help. Im just wondering what mods would slightly help my gas mileage im NOT expecting to get 15+

smokinwrench
12-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Narrow taller tires, slow acceleration.

night4creeper
12-18-2009, 08:36 PM
less resistance more flow. narrow tires, clean fluids (diff, trans, engine, etc) free flowing exhaust and intake. run some injection cleaner, new spark plugs/wires. Could replaced the fan and clutch with an electric setup; make sure the brakes are not dragging, could even go to a lower gear. (3.73 instead of 4.10)

wheelie king
12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Yea "dude" i am serious lol wtf? anyway poor to me is under 8 mpg i figuered a cool air intake would help. Im just wondering what mods would slightly help my gas mileage im NOT expecting to get 15+

I understand his sarcasm . I mean, seriously, man-- you a rocking a 460 BB. If you are getting more than 6 mpg in average traffic, then everything is where it should be. You will go broke tying to get 2 more mpg.............

Fab up all the intake, exhaust, and whatever bolt ons you want. Even swap to taller gears. Hang onto your wallet, too. However-- and NOT trying to be an A-hole here, but bottom line is, you have a FORD 460.

tecat-z
12-20-2009, 10:09 PM
That is one of the all time worst engines for fuel consumption. Plus the vehicle it's having to constantly move is a tank. My work vehicle is a 94f-150 with a 300i-6, and i only average 8-10 in town, and 15-16 on the highway. And the cold weather always makes it much worse. My truck only has 93,000 miles and still runs great, but it loves fuel. My GMC 1500 with a 5.3 V8 gets much better mileage than the Ford. I was actually considering cash for clunkers with my Ford to try and get a small Colorado/Ranger type truck, but all bare bones compact trucks were gone within the first week.

86waterpumper
12-26-2009, 01:51 AM
that vehicle is a lost cause....with that being said there are alot of things you can do to maybe get a couple more mpg. Unless your tires are completely ghetto and bald air them up to max sidewall pressure for most tires that is 44 psi. When you do this, keep in mind the cold weather lowers psi, so don't just do it and then check them again in a year. Check them every month or so and adjust as needed. Get all of the crap out of the vehicle you do not have to carry each day. For me, that meant the rear trunk mat, spare tire, passenger seat, passenger rearview mirror etc :P but you get the point. If you are hauling around spare motors or transmissions in the bed you arent helping yourself. If the truck takes a long time to warm up, then install a warmer thermostat, or make a partial grill block for it, a cold motor isn't getting any mpg, you want it to get up to operating temp fast as possible without overheating. Other than that, make sure the truck is in a good state of tune, the plugs are good, the air filter is clean, etc and if the motor doesn't consume a ton of oil run 5w30 synthetic in it.
The main thing people can do is change how they drive, this is going to bring you more gains than anything else. Don't do like most people and floor it at green lights, and brake last minute at red lights. Watch the lights in town etc and time them. If the truck has a stick shift throw it in nuetral and coast on the downhill sections. Keep the rpms under 2k etc. Don't run the air and crap all the time, and like smokinwrench said just slow down in general. Most people think they save alot of time by trying to drive fast and usually if you have a average 30 minute trip or whatever you will see that you dont save but a couple minutes by driving fast, especially if it's not interstate driving or something. A side benefit of driving like this, is that you will notice others are the ones mad at the world and cussing etc, and when you learn to slow down and chill out, the stress level goes way down at least for me. Anyway if you want more tips check out www.cleanmpg.com

The Goat
12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
willie doesn't run oil or coolant in his saturn...they weigh too much lol

smokinwrench
12-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Pumper I noticed the less stress also when I started driving 91 mile round trip to and from work everyday. I slowed down run right at 65, no stress. I also noticed that if I have somethign I have to get to after work and drive like an idiot I save about 2-3 minutes. You know the 2-3 minutes isn't worth the $136 speeding ticket.

SWIGIN
12-27-2009, 05:50 PM

my buddy has a 92 F350 with a 460 and it has over 250,000 miles on it and he averages 12mpg.

He has duel exhaust, cold air intake, comp cam, and keeps it in perfect tune.

On the other hand my 79 bronco sitting on 35s has a built 460 pushing 400hp and 500tq averages about the same mpg. But mine is more fun to drive....lol

Dirtcrasher
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Consumer Reports says most of the same stuff about saving gas:

Easy on take off, coast as often as possible and shift to neutral on downhills.

I'd go crazy constantly trying to save gas! Maybe finding a diesel vehicle that will still tow or do whatever it is you need such a power demand for, but it can do so more economically......

250twostroker
12-31-2009, 03:16 AM
swigin post a pic of your bronco, mine has a 429 cobra jet, bored .30 over keith black piston, k&n intake, flowmasters, 3.50 gear, and had 36 inch swampers

250twostroker
12-31-2009, 03:18 AM
oh and drop a cummins 6bt 12 valve in the f-350!

SWIGIN
12-31-2009, 10:29 PM
swigin post a pic of your bronco, mine has a 429 cobra jet, bored .30 over keith black piston, k&n intake, flowmasters, 3.50 gear, and had 36 inch swampers

nice looking bronco you have there!

I bought mine 13 years ago and have lowered it twice since then to the size it is now. I too run the stock 3.50 gears and keith black flat top .030 over pistons as well as the K&N and flowmasters among other internals.

Here is what it looks like now, 6'' on 35s
http://i45.tinypic.com/11cfqps.jpg

Here it is a few years ago at work....lol
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uy0ojq.jpg

250twostroker
01-02-2010, 12:43 AM
nice! is your rear axle a posi?

SWIGIN
01-02-2010, 03:02 AM
yeah, so is the front.

250twostroker
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM